1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 12 yrs. old kid addicted to Tv/Computer games please help

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Anoo1234, May 10, 2012.

1. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

I am waiting for your suggestions..........please respond.

my kid is 12 yrs old and is getting too much addicted to computer game ........minecraft.......... how many hours should i let him play ? I am in panic situation please please help me. :drowning

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    You need to get him involved in some sports or extra curricular activities... This link gives the psychology behind game addiction and tells a bit about remedy too

1 person likes this.
  3. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you vjbunny

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi

Found this website it may come of help to moms IMO it is must for moms having teenage children...

5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi anoo
    Plz bear with me if I sound improper....your family itself has made him an addict. Why blame the kid?
    After studies keeping kids engaged to gadgets and tv is a practice followed in one to many homes. At this age it is important for him to participate in outdoor sports , mingle with kids of his age, arrange playdates /get togethers informal at home, involve in one to one interactions like sc. clubs, social clubs, library etc. it not only keeps them busy but developes soft skills, personality, fitness....I cannot technically advice on an exact amount of time for tv/ gadgets......you can be flexible....for my kids it's like this week days school and then outdoor sports (bb, swimming, tt, etc.) also they are involved in environmental/science/social club for a couple of hrs a week.

Tv and gadgets is like 7to 8 hrs a week......mostly 3 to 4 hrs on weekends ...this includes tv/Xbox/androids/pc games... They rarely watch tv on week days because they are completely spent out after a hectic day at school and then their outdoor activities.
    They can find sometime to spent with a book before going to bed.....this is a good habit to be formed in early yrs.
    Now for a kid to do all of the above,a lot of input is required from your side....kids are like clay....they need to be moulded in the right form.
    Make an effort, set some rules, befriend your kid....do not be too harsh yet be firm.
    Mega

4 people like this.
  6. SN0987

SN0987 New IL'ite

Hi
    My kid is also into this. all his friends are into this as well. I think minecraft is actually insteresting and in moderation, it's ok..
    Does it affect his grades? If so use that as the reason and restrict usage of computer only to weekends.
    My son is restricted to 30 mins on weekdays and unlimited on weekends. But we try to subtley distract him with other activities. If we harp on this one issue they will rebel about it.
    I feel this too will pass. Be strong. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    Having seen into where parents mistake lay as pointed by Megalife... Lets set about correcting it in earnest...

Anoo did you go thru the links I shared here? what plan have you made to restrict his TV/Computer time? please share with us dear...Your experience will be like a beaconfor other moms who are in the same spot as you...

1 person likes this.
  8. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

Have you looked a minecraft? Its a good game, imagine if he were addicted to halo lol.at least mine craft seems to help boost creativity. And once you started its really addictive for the simple reason that the more time you spend the better you and your results get. Of course you should restrict time and let him expierience the real world as well. For children its very important to build real expierences in nature and not just in virtual realities. Since he seems interested in building things (isnt that the objective in mine craft?) Try fostering this tendency in the real world as well. I heard lego gots like robot build kits but havent found. Perhaps that would interest him? Or some relatives like building things out of wood and can teach him?
    Just draft out how much time outside of school he has and then distribute physical activities such as sports, kickboxing etc, creative activites such as the building and then also his other intrests and try to distribute it evenly. Computer games should have the smallest portion of his time. Of course if they visiting other boys you cant know weather they are playing computer games or not i remember boys really did play alot and talk about how far they are and so and so was in my own college days. Even for men computer games seem to be important some what as a time pass and brag about.Do his friends play minecraft as well? Maybe you should exhange your thoughts with their parents as well.

2 people like this.
  9. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

Hi megalife ........Thank you so much can you please tell me more about the environmental thing you were talking about

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  10. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much and you all have given me lot of energy to tackle my son.