1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am tired and fed up...............need some break

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by jignasha27, May 12, 2012.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    Now am feeling shame to write or vent again and again here about my 22 months old son, whos is really very very poor eater. and now after almost 1 and half year of my struggle i see no change in him. he became more fussy. whole day i spend behind him feeding food or milk and even snacks. i dont know whats his problem. his development is fine other than his weight. he is more intelligent in everything that we think. here is his time table. please suggest where am doing wrong...

he gets up at 8:00 drinks 5 oz pediasure and it takes half an hour(doctor kept him on pediasure)

around 10 i give break fast (milk and cheerios/half small chapathi soaked in milk/ upma/ idly soaked in daal/half bread soaked in milk) he has good amount of teeth but still i have to soak everything and even after that he take no more than 5 spoons. if i give him say just chapathi or bread peace dipped in curry he keeps in his mouth for a min and remove out in his hand and tells me mummy dirty throw it. here i spend 45 minutes to 1 hr.

12:30 lunch ( mix veg khichdi/ rice and daal/ chapathi with curry) everything should be mashed form. and no more than 5 spoons. takes again 45 min to 1 hr. and not to mention during every meal laptop is in front of him. now a days he is bored of this so give glass and water to play. :drowning

nap 2 to 4/4:30

evening even snack i have take him in balcony hold him with one hand(my hands really pains) and feed him ( half banana/ half pears/ cheese/boiled yam)takes more than half and hour.

7:30/ 8
    dinner same like lunch and takes 45 min to 1 hr.

9:30-9:45 bed time milk just 2-3 oz pediasure it takes half n hour.

again to put him to sleep it takes 45 minutes. so after that i clean my kitchen wash dishes and all till night 11:30. after doing so much stiil i see no improvement in him. even snacks like french fries/buiscuits/ gold fish/cheese it/gerber ready made food he dont seem to be interested.

sometimes i get so frustrated that i end up shouting or smacking him. but i really so bad and hate myself when i see that innocent face.

please ladies i just feel like giving up. this is from the day i started solid. and he will be 2 in next 2 months. how many more years i have to wait......does anynobody facing this kind of problem. or its only me and my kid. how do you control your anger and frustration.

am not worried about his tantrums or mischievousness. let him do what ever he wants but plz plz plz eat something. if one day i leave him he wont even come and ask. sorry for venting soooo looooooong but this is only place i expect some answers.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jignasha I can relate to you little bit. My LO is only 10 months old and getting her to open her mouth for food becomes difficult certain days.

I may not be experienced but am taking a shot to check if I can be of help:

Does your ds like sweet items?
    Do you use high chair for giving him food?
    Does he drink anything liquid?
    Have you tried giving him your regular food?
    Does he ever want to pick and eat by himself?
    Have you tried giving him non-Indian food?

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Kids at this age would love variety. At least that's what I learnt. My daughter is 16 months old and unless I indulge her with variety she will not eat.

Have you tried pasta? Idly cubes toasted with some light gravy, Cheese cubes, paneer pakoras, dose varieties..the list is endless..try new recipes and entertain him. He should know that eating is fun. If you force feed him it's going to have adverse effect on his eating habits later in life.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh my, hugs to you. My nephew was like this. My sister Used the reward method; it worked for him but he is over 5 years. Not sure if it will work for your son and not sure if you think it's the right approach.

She used to say, "eat this and I will let you watch tv, no food, no tv". It worked like charm but I hunk 22 months is way too young.

1 person likes this.
  5. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

thanks everybody for quick response.

@Ramyaramani
    i will answer your question one after other

1)yes, he likes sweets but he drinks pediasure daily. it is so sweet so i dont give sweets in form of meals. too much sweets is not good right? and sweets i dont know more recipes. when i feel he did not have his 2 meals properly then 1 meal i make sweet. i only know rava kheer/pudding, sweet potato kheer. do share recipe if you know.

2)yes i use high chair daily.

3)anything liquid?????? did you mean juice or something. yeah he likes juice but very little. he wants to hold straw cup by himself. drinks few sips and then sprinkle all over. same with milk. i tried banana milk shake but he did not like it. but he loves Mc Donald milk shakes.

can any one suggest how to make milk shake that tastes same like store bought.

4)yes mostly i give our regular food. the days i cook freshly i give him our food. when there is some leftover for us then i cook for him specially.

5)yes he wants to eat by himself but he eats only 2 bites then starts playing and throwing food. i tried every thing like pasta and cheese toast pieces and idly but he eats 2-3 bites and starts playing.

6)for non-indian food i only know pasta. he likes it. but again same. he starts like a champ and after 3-4 bites he throws everything here and there. and more over due to slippery nature of pasta he just swallows it. doesnt chew at all.

@nandshyam

you mean different varieties at one meal or daily different varieties. first i use to try but then i got fed up because cooking very small quantity is challenge and even after doing if he dont eat i get irritated. but let me try again. yeterday i made cheese toast. it was so yummy but he ate only 1/4 bread. same for everyhting eats some and rest in trash.
    you named so many varieties. can you share recipes please. pasta he just swallows it. and what are these idly cubes with gravy. dosa varieties. i want to try it. but he doesnt eat anything dry.

@rakhi

Thanks for your hugs dear. i needed them badly. yeah reward idea is nice but he is too small for that. he dont understand what is reward. but in future this would help me because i dont have any hopes that he will eat properly some day. i was waiting from when he was six months old. now he will be two. still the same. other wise he is developing good. he dont fall sick very often( touch wood).

everyone thanks again. do share some recipes please. specially milk shake because he liked it from mc donald but at home taste was not that good.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jignasha

I never said anything about giving sweets. Sathu maavu kanji sweetened with dates/honey/jaggery instead of sugar is a healthy option. It is nutritious and is a meal by itself. Whenever you want to make anything sweet use dates water or jaggery or honey instead of refined sugar. Did you try giving him cereals like Cheerios or honey nut Cheerios?

Have you tried feeding him without the high chair. I know high chair is good but since you are the end of your patience levels. Allow him to play and try feeding him. Do this till his appetite improves.
    My LO hates eating in the high chair. In fact she does not eat since she feels restrained. But breakfast I mandatorily give in high chair. Lunch and dinner I allow her to play. Snack time is again high chair only.

McDonald milk shakes are made with ice creams loaded with sugar. You are preparing a healthy milk shake. It is ok to indulge once in a while with McDonalds shake but not everyday. Maybe you can try dry fruits shake sweetened with dates or honey.

Maybe you can try the no spill cups for a change. Just to get him to drink better and not sprinle on the floor.

Try making smiley faces or some design in the toast or idli or Dosa. Ask him to eat the eyes, mouth, nose etc. if he can identify them.

1 person likes this.
  7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

8. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

Jignasha,
    Recently I have experience of seeing two kids who dont want to eat because they dont want to...they dont like anything at all..some kids are fussy eaters but usually like something.my DD at any day prefer snacks compared to usual food..but the two kiddos I met are different..pyschologically they are averse to food..even making them drink water is a chore..
    i dont mean to scare you but after seeing them, I feel really sorry for their moms..they are so stressed and their whole day goes off in trying to feed them..btw they both have elder siblings too..otherwise they have developed normally..very smart..bcos of not eating, they are skinny and look very tiny among their peers..heightwise, they are ok..
    Dont fret too much..take a break and try afresh with other ideas...feeding them with a playdate is better as they eat when they see their friends eating...start with preschool..they will atleast eat snacks in school..
    Good luck..With a 27 months old DD, I undergo these phase often.

1 person likes this.
  9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like his apetite is less. How are his outdoor activities? If he is not running around much or not involved in outdoor activities, take him for a walk or play catch with him. His apetite will increase.

You mentioned he sits in front of a laptop while eating. It is better if he discontinues that and focus only on eating during that time. It will increase his interest in what he is eating. He might throw tantrums intially but when he sees that you are firm about no laptop, he will stop the tantrums.

1 person likes this.
  10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Jignasha, if this is of any consolation i've seen 2 children in my daughter's pre-school who simply won't eat (3-4 yr olds). I always thought my children were poor eaters (because they decline vegetables and we're vegetarians; snack a lot and portions are small). then i talked to the moms of those 2 children and they say they'd do anything to have their kids eat atleast a slice of cheese for dinner. but both of them are active, are not cranky at kindergarden and play out a lot just like the other children. The mothers thought situation will improve when they have lunch with their friends.. but nope. one of the children, in fact, do not even like sweets or juice. i suppose your child is like them:( I too suggested reward system to one of the mothers (i'm talking about one indian child and one german child). i know it's easy to say but don't get agitated/tensed/sad about your child's eating habit. don't use distracting methods to get some food into him. if he doesn't eat leave him. if you force/insist or get angry it will take longer for him to start liking the eating process. good luck!

1 person likes this.