1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cincinati (Ohio) North Carolina (Charlotte) & Pittsburg Ladies Please Respond..

Discussion in 'Indians in Cincinnati' started by tranquility, Apr 10, 2012.

1. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We are planning to move out from current location. We have three options with us: Ohio (Cincinati) Pittsburg,PA and North Carolina...
    Now I need help from u ladies residing at these two places to let me know the pros and cons of each the place (North Carolina & Pittsburg). My concerns in the order of preference are as follows:

1.) Weather during winter- Is it very cold and windy? what's the average lowest temp during winters? (my son catches immediate cold if its windy)
    2.) Indian communities, apt complexes with many indians..,
    3.) Cost of living (like apartment rates for a 2 bedroom, electricity and gas bills) etc..), Safety of the locality.
    4.)Very good paediatrician (since my son's current paediatrician is so so good that iam actually not wanting to leave this place because of that. Its just that due to hubby's job, we need to move.)
    5.) Places to see around,visit at a distance of 3-4 hrs since summer has started(eg in virginia where we live currently, there are many zoos, beach, shenandoah valley,safari etc)
    6.)Daycares
    7.) Indian stores

Also one extra query for the ladies in Pittsburg - is the winter weather more like whats in New Jersey/NewYork? I mean that cold? (since I've lived in Jersey city earlier, I can co-relate)..

Ladies, please do pour in your suggestions.. Its going to help me take a decision as to where we can move....
    Will really appreciate all your help... Thanks..:thumbsup

2. saigirl

saigirl New IL'ite

Re: North Carolina (Charlotte & Raleigh) & Pittsburg Ladies Please Respond..

Hi tranquility.....
    I can throw some light on Pittsburgh. I was there for some time.
    1. Weather is OK. Its cold . But the intensity is low these days.
    2.Indian communities and apts are available.
    3.Cost of living is low compared to many cities. I lived in 1 BD which i took in 2007 and the rent was $750 including gas. May be now rents have increased
    4.Dont Know about paediatrician.
    5.Not many places to see around. Of courses there are parks and zoo.
    6.lots of daycare
    7.two Indian stores are near to the indian community living area i mentioned above.

Hope this helps you lil bit

3. tranquility

Hey Saigirl,

Thanks a lot..This is of real help... All other ladies please respond.....

4. tranquility

Ladies,

A new development just now... Another option that I had to add is Ohio (Cincinati) as per hubby. SO please please ladies from Cincinati, please respond to my doubts... Actually Iam not keen on Cincinati (I've heard its very cold during winters.... have to wear 3-4 layer clothing) but my husband is looking at his career growth. Sometimes we wives are only at the receiving end. NO option but to agree to husbands.. Can't take any decisions:-(
    So again ladies, please let me know....Awaiting eagerly for your response...

5. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Cincinnati
    does get cold in the winter but it is bearable.

There are lots of things to do in Cincinnati - there is the zoo, Kings Island, shopping and museums at the Union Terminal, and a pretty good Art Museum. The 2nd oldest opera company in the US is located in Cincinnati. There is a baseball stadium (and the team is the Reds) if you're into that or have kids who might be.

There is a large Indian community there of long standing so it is well founded. There is a temple

Hindu Temple of Greater Cincinnati

There is a Temple in Beavercreek, south of Cincinnati

Hindu Temple of Dayton (I know, it says Dayton but it's actually IN Beavercreek)

Shopping will be easy to find, even in the 70's there was an Indian Grocery in Cincinnati.

I don't know about quality of schools and such as I haven't been back in the area in 20 years - it would vary depending on where you choose to live anyway.

North Carolina

I don't know much about Charlotte but there is a large Indian population in Raleigh. Part of Cary (a nearby suburb) is known as "Little India" - I've not visited there yet because my son hates to drive and it's about an hour away, but there are many Indian shops there where you can get all manner of Indian goods, foods, spices, sari, salwaar kameez, etc.

There is a Temple in Cary

Sri Venkataswara Temple of North Carolina

There is a Temple in Charlotte

Hindu Center of Charlotte

There is a Temple in Fayettville (south of Raleigh)

Hindu Bhavan of Fayetteville

There is a Temple in Morrisville (west of Raleigh, between Raleigh and Chapel Hill)

Hindu Society of North Carolina

Weather in NC is warm pretty much year round - obviously not India warm but warm for the US. Cost of living I'm not sure of since I don't live in that area and "Raleigh/Charlotte" covers a LOT of ground. I don't think it's too bad though. Large Indian community (obviously) but outside the Triangle I'm not sure how things are.

Pittsburgh

Weather can get quite cold but not so cold as 30 years ago due to global warming. Again it's bearable, its only a few months out of the year.

There is a Temple in Pittsburgh

Sri Venkataswara Temple of Pittsburgh

There is a Jain Temple

Jain Temple of Pittsburgh

Here is a webpage about Indian connections in Pittsburgh

I don't know as much about Pittsburgh as I have never lived there (I have lived in Dayton OH and currently live in the Research Triangle area of NC) but clearly there is a good sized Indian community there, enough to support a couple of temples and a couple of grocery stores.

Here's the upshot - I think no matter where you move you will be able to find familiar foods, groceries, friends, and recreational activities/social contacts. All of these areas have a large, vibrant Indian community. You will be able to find a good place to live in any of the three areas. None of them are exorbitantly expensive places to live, like Los Angeles or New York City. Your husband's pay should be commensurate with the cost of living in each place.

I don't think you will regret any decision that you ultimately make between the three areas. You will be able to find support in any of these three communities. Moving is always traumatic, I know (I HATE moving myself) but there will be a place for you - you will be able to MAKE a place for you and your family - in any of these three places. Wherever you ultimately decide to go, you will be ok.

Hope some of this information helps to ease your concerns about moving.

PS - here's a site that will help you locate an Indian Grocery once you get where ever you are going:

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  6. ZenSojourner

Well I thought I just posted a little addendum but it disappeared. I'll try again - sorry if it shows up twice. Put

Indian Pittsburgh

into a search and you should find the Indian Community of Pittsburgh. That should be helpful to find out about events and what kind of stuff there is going on for Indians in Pittsburgh.

And put

Barbarian Chai

in to find where you can find the Indian Grocery Locators, their at the bottom of the instructions for how to make chai there.

I'm not sure how I messed that other post up, hope this one goes through ok ...

7. tranquility

Hi Zen
    Thanks a million for the detailed reply.. Really appreciate ur opinion and valuable inputs. However, we shifted to Cincinnati, Ohio last week... Only had ur reply come in earlier, I MAY have convinced my hubby for North Carolina. (since I myself did not want to come to Ohio and would have preferred North Carolina instead.:) ) But i guess the damage is already done:) Got to adjust whever iam now... Am already missing Virginia though :-(

8. ZenSojourner

Not to worry, I think you will come to be happy in Cincinnati. It's not a bad place - I lived many years in the area. I think you will find friends and all the amenities you would have found even in NC. The winters will pass - snow can be fun too!

9. tranquility

Thanks for the encouraging words Zen... :) Btw, what are u doing at 5:00 in the morning??? do u usually wake up soooooooooo early??