1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by crazymom, May 8, 2012.

1. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I am planning to travel to India in the end of the year. I will be travelling with a 2 year old and have 2 options for flight

First option is with just one stop and the shortest one.

Second one I have 4 hours stop in Mumbai then connecting flight. It adds 4 hours or so and about 500 dollars cheaper than first option.

Now is it wise to make make the flight short with a 2 year old and take first option

Or take second option in that i have to wait from 1 am till next flight in the morning at 5:30 and save 500 dollars which i can use in India for shopping and all?

I am travelling myself with the toddler. I have no experience of Mumbai airport. Please advise, thank you.

2. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

Hello.......It is good to take the direct flight. I agree it is more money( which can be spent on shopping) but worth spending with the little one.Hope you find this helpful.

3. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Thank you Anoo.

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Crazy mom,

I have traveled with a little child and with an intermittent break in Calcutta airport.

The airport has a nursing and changing room for mothers traveling with little children.

Also, there are rooms available for a modest rent in the airport and has comfortable bed etc.,

The staff of the airline I traveled were very friendly and helpful, they even offered to take care of the child for sometime , so that I could freshen up.

I'm just sharing my experience and please think about the pros and cons and decide dear.:):thumbsup

5. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Thank you Bhargavi, I will keep it in mind.

How is the Mumbai airport? I have never traveled through Mumbai so please share your experience.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Crazy mom, it's been 25 years since I was last there, but when I was there it was HORRIBLE and I would not want to face that on my own with a 2 year old after the long flight from stateside. Also our flight was 36 hours late, they kept us on the airplane in England (I think it was London, Heathrow) for 10 hours before they finally let us off, then the hotel they sent us to wasn't expecting us and they didn't have enough food. That was Air India. It was awful before we even got to Mumbai. By the time we got to Mumbai my husband's cousin had been waiting for us the whole 36 hours, sleeping on chairs in the airport, because the Air India people wouldn't tell him the plane had been grounded in London. They kept telling him it would arrive "in about an hour" even though we were asleep in a hotel in London! It was awful for him too!

Honestly if there is anyway I would take the direct flight even if it costs more. Might be different if you had a traveling companion, but on your own with a 2 years old, I wouldn't chance it myself.

7. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Nope, I am not going to fly Air India. I have United airways from here to Frankfurt, then Lufthansa and Jet from Mumbai. And it is 4 hours waiting. I could save 700 dollars that way.

The total time to get to home with one stop is 20 hours and with this stop added it is 24 hours.

While coming back, with one stop it is 23 hours and with a stop in Mumbai it is 27 hours.

I would not fly Air India, as their pilots are on strike right now and they canceled so many flights from Ahmedabad to Mumbai recently. That is just ridiculous, they didn't even let passengers know that flight had been canceled until the last moment!

8. knbg

Hi Crazymom,
    I haven't traveled through Mumbai either, But I think it would have such facilities .
    How about checking with the airport, Here is a link.
    If the 4 hr stop is at day time, then you can stroll around with child, feed, change and the time will fly dear.:thumbsup

9. knbg

Hi Crazy mom,
    But one word of caution, During strikes, all our airports would be in bad shape...:drowning..Please keep that in mind dear....:)

10. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Hi Crazymom,
    I assume that your port of entry in India would be Mumbai (International ) and the next flight Jt would be domestic. The last I had been in Mumbai (may be around 6 years), they were separate and we had to travel from international to domestic (though they provide aiport bus). It is stressful for you with the baby to come from international to domestic. I suggest you to take the direct flight.