High BP before conceiving. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tweenie27, Dec 19, 2007.

1. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hi Vanathi,

Weight loss is so far going ok... i am trying my best....but this being the holiday season, i havent exercised as much as i should have. But i kept my diet under control. Weight loss is slow, but is happening. So i am hopeful.
    Thanks for ur advice about going ahead with pregnancy planning. My doc also said the same thing. I guess i will seriously get into it now, and hope/pray for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child, even if it happens through treatments.
    As for water, well, now i am used to about 2.5 - 3 ltrs of water anyways. if i dont drink that much, i have a feeling of being thirsty! so i guess i will continue. My only fear is that since probably i have water retention (i think my doc also thinks so. When she prescribed me Atacand, she said it will also shed some of my water weight that might be there coz of water retention), i wonder if drinking more water will contribute to the problem. Do u think so?
    As advised by u, i went to my doc to check with her if she could change the medication, but she said i can to continue this till i conceive. My husband and i are planning to go to another doc now.

Is there anyway to medically detect water retention problem? And how do u cure it? Also, are there any home remedies to help lessen that? i am positive i have that problem, since i have some symptoms of it (like my ring getting tight sometimes in the morning...etc...though it has decreased a little with diet control and exercise).

Vanathy, can i take Atacand, prenatal vitamin(Vitafol-OB), and Vitamin D (once a week), all together? I have been prescribed Vitamin D for 12 weeks. (the number that came in blood test was "FIVE"!!!) Plus i am also supposed to take Vitafol-ob, and ofcourse BP medication as well. I take Atacand in the morning. I plan to take Vitafol before bedtime, now where do i fit in Vitamin D. I heard u might feel nausea with this med, so its better to take it at night. Can i take both prenatal and Vit D together?
    Hope adhu is doing good! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I dont think there's a problem with taking Vit D and your other vitamins together. The folic acid esp is very important right now. As for the water retention, many hypertensive people have some amt of retention and one thing is to decrease the salt in your food (also beware of the salt in processed food that you buy). Try to reduce your water intake to around 2 - 2.5 l slowly. Do keep me posted.

Happy New Year! Hope you have a little one by the end of the year!

Vanathi.

3. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Hi Vanathy!
    Happy new year!

I wish i replied to you a few days earlier. really appreciate ur follow up on my condition. I feel helped. Thanks pal.
    Vanathy, today i am in a fix.
    Let me first update u. I m trying to follow a good diet, as before. i havent loss more weight though, but i havent gained either. The effort is still on.
    Now, as advised by you and everyone else, i began to seriously think of pregnancy even with high bp medication. Went to doc office again. Another physician was visiting at that time. and she told me to immediately switch to another medication if i am trying. so that worked, as u had said. But she gave me prescription for 2 different medications and asked me to check with my gynaecologist about which would be better, and then start. Here is what she seems to have written on the prescriptions:- Norvasc 5 mg # 30 (i can understand after that...), or Toporol * L 50 mg * 90 days (i think those are multiplication signs). She asked me to check with gynae which to pick. I took gynae apointment already and its on 7th jan.
    Meanwhile, I am also seriously tracking my ovulation (properly for the first time!! i am disgusting, i know). I used OPK, and basal body and also checked cervical mucous as they say. For the first time, i saw everything fall in place.... my Ovulation P kit showed positive today (which means to try in 24-36 hrs right?), my basal body temp showed the right pattern and dropped yesturday and raised today by a degree, exactly how its supposed to be, and the mucous also was according to how its supposed to be. Now, I am really tempted to try this time, and give a shot. If i am fertile at all, this time should work. But i am confused about medication!! The doc told me not to wait till my apointment with obgyn. But by that time, my chance this time might be totally gone, if at all it is there! Atleast i want to try.
    I want your urgent advice about Atacand. I am still supposed to be on atacand till i meet obgyn. Can i, still try for a child in the next two days? will it affect the foetus? i wont even know if i did conceive till 2-3 weeks. But i will try to make sure i get the med changed when i meet obgyn. Do u think Atacand will harm even if i try and did happen to conceive? How long do the effects of Atacand remain, after i stop taking it?
    Vanathy, i really dont want to miss this chance, to see if it works for me at all. though who knows, i might have to finally take treatment before i do have a baby.
    I talked to the nurse at the obgyn office on phone, but she also couldnt give me any answer.
    help me.:bowdown

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Tweenie,
    I looked up your new drugs - both are ok during pregnancy (ie. no adverse effects reported in human babies so far) - so its upto your OBGYN to decide between them. Atacand will stay in your body for only a couple of days at most after you stop it.Also its effects in the immediate post-conception phase are not known to be harmful. So I think you can try if you want to this time. Good luck!

Vanathi.

PS - Thought you might find this useful Over 35 and trying

5. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Hi Vananthi,

havent been able to write back to you....am in india actually for a vacation!

hope little adhu n u are doing well.
    i am still on atacand, pal. Well, i was to leave for india and was little nervous about trying a new one -- and if it will suit me and all....hence i brought atacand as well. but i have been prescriped toporol for further use.

more later!
    Reena

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Reena,
    Was just thinking abt you a few days back and wondering what happened! Aadhu and I are fine. Have a good vacation and hope to hear some good news from you soon :wink:

Vanathi.

7. sowbarnika

sowbarnika New IL'ite

High BP before detecting Pregnancy

Dear all,
    This is my first post to Indus Ladies! Though I m your regular reader!:cheers
    On the 25<SUP>th</SUP> day from my LMP I had a sudden spurt of Blood Pressure. I immediately went to a General Physician who was a Lady. In spite of indicating to her that I have not got my periods yet and I am suspecting pregnancy, she prescribed a BP tablet. She said nothing will be a problem until 30 days. Somehow I was not OK about that and I didn’t take the medicine.
    I took leave from Work and stayed at home the next 1 week. The BP stabilized to 120 /100. This 100 was not coming down. On the 34<SUP>th</SUP> night, I didn’t the Home Preg Test. It showed a faint positive. I repeated it on the 35<SUP>th</SUP> day morn. I got the same result. Then I went to a Ob-gyn in the evening. Since it was Saturday, most of the Ob-gyns mentioned in our forum were not available. That lady asked me to do a urine test in the lab there. The result was negative. She checked the BP, it was normal. She said we will wait for 1 week and then check.
    However she completely ignored that I had a high BP the previous week. I will be repeating the tests tomorrow and going to a better Ob-Gyn.
    But I am kind of worried why that High BP showed up all of a sudden. Does anyone have a clue?

Love,
    SBNKA

8. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Re: High BP before detecting Pregnancy

sowbarnika,
    i dono the answer for your question but i am postive you will give good news soon.all the best and wait for other Ilites to give their precious suggestions.

9. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Re: High BP before detecting Pregnancy

Dear Sowbanika,
    Hope you hear good news very soon.. meanwhile, please reduce salt intake little bit, and catch up sleep.. please bring your bp down..
    Take care..

Savitha

10. sowbarnika

sowbarnika New IL'ite

Painful, Heavy, Itchy Breasts

Hi,
    I am TTC and I have been having a weird problem off late. Today is my 25th Day from my Last Period start Date and for the past 3 days have been having a severe pain, expecially in the evenings , in my breast. The pain is present in and around the Nipple and to top it, it is also itching. The Itching is present during the day. I am scared as to what the reason might be. And Sometimes it is very heavy. As it is I dont weae my Brazzier in the nights. That gives me some comfort. But Still the Itching does not stop. Can anyone please help?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010