Snacks

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vijisai, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Heena..

First of all, let me tell you that I have never personally made the tortillas at home and have used the ones bought from the store. There is a huuuge variety readily available here.
    I like both the soft and crisp ones. Both are used in different ways and depending on the recipes, both can be delicious!
    They usually carry expiry dates on the package. In my opinion, the soft ones can be stored for a good week or 10 days. The dry, crisp variety holds for a longer time. HTH.
    L, Kamla

2. njetal

njetal New IL'ite

Mexican Bhel

Mexican Bhel

Ingredients:
    10 flour Tortillas (10” large)
    Oil for frying
    1 medium Onion finely chopped (1/2 cup spring onions can be used)
    1 Green Paper (Bell Paper) finely chopped
    2 cups shredded Lettuce
    1 16-oz. can Fat-Free Refried Beans
    1 Pk Taco Seasoning mix
    1 can Enchilada Sauce
    1 small can 8-oz.Tomato Sauce
    2 cups water
    1 cup chunky salsa
    ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    ½ cup finely chopped fresh jalapeño or green chilies
    Cumin powder, Chili powder and Salt to taste
    1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Method:

• Cut flour tortillas in 1” squares and deep fry in oil till golden brown; keep aside.
    • Place the refried beans in a large saucepan, cover the beans with 1 inch of water, and stir in 1 pk of taco seasoning mix. Place over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    • Place enchilada sauce in another sauce pan and mix with small can of tomato sauce. Add cumin powder, chili powder and salt to taste; use water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
    • Now take fried tortillas in a serving plate, topped with hot seasoned refried beans and enchilada sauce mix. Sprinkle cheddar cheese to get melts.
    • And mix all the other ingredients to it: onions, green paper, and shredded lettuce.
    • Topped with chopped fresh cilantro.
    • One can add salsa and jalapeño if like really hot.

3. pearljam

pearljam New IL'ite

Salsa to compliment the bhel!

Dear njetal:
    i thought it may be nice to give a nice recipe for making salsa (very easy and yes fat free!) to augment your dish
    you'll need:
    2 regular sized onions
    2-3 tomatoes diced
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp frsh ground pepper
    1 tsp salt to taste
    Coriander or Cilantor (a few sprigs)
    And if you're lucky- 1 cooking mango

chop the onions very fine. Heat a skillet or frying pan to high. throw in the onions. Resist the temptation to add oil. roast the onions till they are well cooked in their own juice. Add the finely chopped garlic -cook until the garlic is soft and can be mashed with the spoon.
    throw in the tomatoes- it is best to cook on high flame to get the roast flavor but make sure you keep turning to avoid burnt food! Cook until you get a nice pasty mix. If you can find a cooking mango then chop it and throw it in as well. Remember to keep stirring.
    Once you have nice pasty mix, then add salt and fresh paper. Temper according to own taste-it may also be preferred to add green chillies to spice it up. sometimes I've also added half a capsicum(bell peppers) and it tastes well too.
    Take the paste and whizz it in a food processor. Add coriander leaves on top and serve with Chips or Mexican Bhel!

4. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

Aloo Bhujia

ingredients :
    1/2 cup boil and mashed potato
    1 cup gram flour ( besan)
    1 tsp oil (for moyan )
    salt and pepper

method : mix besan ,salt and pepper . put moyan and mix potato and make a dough . if u feel the dough is soft u can add some besan .
    heat oil in a pan for deepfrying . in a sev maker put the thinest plate and press the batter in hot oil . when it is crisy and golden in colour take them out.

tips: the oil should be hot in the begining but afterwards reduce the flame . store in an airtight container.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Ladies finger fry

You can try this out. I tried it and I am giving it to you. Cut the ladies finger into half vertically. Mix salt and pepper together. With little oil fry the ladies finger and add salt and pepper
    U can eat with or without tomato sauce

RajmiArun

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Banana Masti

I got this recipie from a small girl. Take a banana and dip it in honey. Now roll the honey soaked banana in raisins kellogs or honey crunch kellogs and freeze it for 15 mins. Now pack it for your snack

RajmiArun

7. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

meva mixture

MEVA MIXTURE

INGREDIENTS :
    30 CASHEWNUTS
    30 ALMONDS
    2 TBS RAISINS
    8 TBS MELON SEEDS
    SALT AND CHAAT MASALA

METHOD : in a very hot pan roast melon seeds without oil . but on slow flame . after roasting it will be double in size .keep it sepreate.
    now put ghee / oil in the pan and fry cashewnuts and almonds . remove them and keep sepreate .
    now add all the things together .add raisins . put salt and chat masala. meva mixture is ready to eat . store in an airtight container .

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

kitchen tips

when you roast ingredients for coconut thoovayal,fry 1/2 tsp of coriander seeds,it will be of a better taste.
    10 mts before you make bajiis,soak 2 tsps of udad dal and grind in thesmall mixie jar and add channa dal,chilly powder,asfoetida.bajiis will be more crisp.
    when u make kozhambu with garlic and onion ,u can add fried and roasted neem flowers along with it. the kozhambu would be tasty .
    when you make coconut thoovayal you can add mango pieces instead of tamarind it will taste different.
    any kozhaimbu which you make out of tamarind would taste great if you add raw gingelly oil, after u remove it from the stove.
    when there is left over boiled toovar dal you can mix it with wheat flour and make rotis.
    when u prepare any juice you can add 1 spoon of honey. it would taste great.
    when prepare mosambi juice, add some lemon juice. it would replenish the salts in our body.
    your kanaka raghavan

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

need veg patty recipe for making sandwitches

Hi ladies

Can anyone give me the recipe for the patty as in subway sandwiches.

thanks in advance
    san

10. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Baby Corn pakodi

Hi all..
    I used to make Baby corn pakodi with my own idea.
    I gave it to my frnds ..they liked it ..So just want o share with u all.

Baby corns-15 Vertically sliced(makes 30)
    Gram flour(besan)-2 cups
    Rice flour -------1 cup
    Cornflour ------1tb Spn
    red chilli powder -1T spn
    salt ------------1 tbspn
    Crushed jeera ----1 Tspn
    Baking powder or soda--1/4 Tspn
    Cury leaves
    If u wan tu can put green chillies instead of redchilli powder
    Sieve flours & mix all ingredients with water
    Let it be for 15 mins.

Heat oil in A Kadai.
    Dip Baby corns in The mixed batter & drop it in hot oil fry till it gets
    golden brown color.
    Thats it...Hot,,hot,,,Babycorn pakodi ready,,
    Serve with Tomato Ketchup or Mint chutney or green chutney.

Try this & let me know whether u liked r not.

Later i willpost Crispy chillie baby corn also in IndoChinese style.
    Bye
    Suneeta