1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Peacock Feathers from India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by lathangi.ch, Apr 23, 2012.

1. lathangi.ch

lathangi.ch Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Do we get problems with customs/immigration if we bring peacock feathers(count around 50) from india to Chicago? Just in case if u wonder why would one need so many feathers.. these are for a birthday party celebration.

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Lathangi,

Try and see if you can do without these. To get these feathers you are killing an innocent bird. By buying and using it for a celebration is like encouraging the people who sell these to hunt and kill more of these peacocks.
    Please reconsider your choice

Thanks
    Uma

4 people like this.
  3. lathangi.ch

So it's true that they kill poor peacocks to get feathers. In fact, last night me and DH had a talk about this. I was thinking they just sell fallen feathers. Today morning my mom confirmed the same and laughed at my poor general knowledge. Thanks uma for ur reply.I changed my decision. Anyways, i will go with artificial crafts of peacock and put them as show pieces in the party. I just love and admire the beauty of national bird peacock. Decorate the party with the colors in peacock feathers. make fruit arrangements with the shape of peacock. I don't want to kill them to make my party look more beautiful.

3 people like this.
  4. MuhilNeel

MuhilNeel Silver IL'ite

Dear Lathangi,
    This makes a problem in the customs checking.I've seen a girl who brought a bunch of peacock feathers in the NewDelhi airport...she was not allowed to take those feathers with her.Don't know if she was charged.

1 person likes this.
  5. lathangi.ch

Thanks muhineel for sharing information. i have changed my plans :)

6. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I've seen these in some stores here, I think in Michael's.. Not sure if its original.. But were beautiful..

7. lathangi.ch

Thanks @writeme. I will stop by at michaels. Would love to shop for artificial feathers...

8. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

Yes you should

US care about animals and birds more than any other country. Here every living organism has a right to live. Who knows peacocks will be an endangered species in few years.

9. lathangi.ch

hmmm. But i always think the other way about US. They eat meat all the time.It does mean killing animals and birds. I am a vegetarian and when i go to restaurants with my colleagues in my previous company, they(not all, but few people) always pass comments about my food like Poor Latha, Why veggies, again veggies, what are ur plans feeding your kid.. oh my.. i always want to say.. that's enough..

1 person likes this.
  10. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Lathangi,

Thank you so much for your understanding. I just saw your reply today.

Regards
    Uma