1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is yourchild scared of?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kishoremommy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Dear friends,

This thread has a story behind it.My elder son Kishore is 9 years now.He won't sleep alone in the bed ,never enters a room without bright light and some times feel really scary to go to bathroom at night times closing the door.

When I ask him to go to bed early ,he would request me to make my second one(he is 20 months old) sleep in his jhoola in the bedroom so that he will have a company.

I explained to him that a thing such as ghost never exist in the world.He said that he is not afraid of ghosts.He is afraid of aliens.Thanks to all the Hollywood fiction movies we are watching,he is terrified by the idea of an alien landing in our bathroom.

"See,we are living in a very big community.Security people are there.Why an alien would leave all the other 318 houses and come to our house.",I tried to reason.

"We have the possibility of 1 in 319.So,by chance it may happen.",he replied.

In my childhood days,the toilet in the back yard is some distance away from the house.Even at night times,we used to draw water from well,carry in a bucket and walk in the pavement amidst of thick trees in a dim light..Never once ,we were afraid of anything.

From where do the idea of fear comes to these kids.TV?Stories?

Till now,the toddler son is going boldly inside unlit rooms.But,he may soon learn about fear from his elder brother.

Share your kids' fears and suggest a few ideas to overcome them.

sindmani likes this.

2. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

I really undertand this fear.. DD is 5 and a half now and she too is afraid of the dark..of being alone...at times its so hard for me to give her a bath...there's a small ventilator in the bathroom and it has a fixed exhaust but she is afraid ...dont know of what..suddenly..she'll shrink herself..start looking here and there...towards the back wall...any small noise from outside becomes dreadful for her..she'll try to stick to me with soap on her body :-( she wants all doors closed when she's in room , even when I am there with her BUT at other times..she's fine playing all alone in bathroom for long...while no one's in close by rooms...she's fine playing alone in her room etc.

We tried all thats possible...talking to her...showing her every corner of the house..DH behaving as if He is kicking out anything that can scare her out of the house and telling those unknown fears that"This is my house..no one can come here without my permission..and no one can dare scare my princess." DD has the feeling that Papa is very strong..so this helped for some time...she doesnt behave like this with DH....not sure whats the reason...she hardly watches any fiction movies till yet.

kishoremommy likes this.
  3. kishoremommy

Dear Happytobe,

From where does your DD get that fear?What is she afraid of?

To see the kids afraid of something really makes our situation bad.Whatever we say to overcome the fear,they will stick to their ideas .As they grow up ,automatically they will overcome their fear.

I do have a fear but not an ordinary one but it is a phobia ,I suppose.I am scared of flowers.Not scared ,but I feel them yucky.It is OK if they are in trees and plants,unplucked.But,once,they are plucked,I hate them to touch and even hate their smell.

When I was 3 years old,one of my aunt made a braids out f my hair with a lot of flowers.I cried a lot and even in the photo taken then,I was with a lot of tears in the eyes.From that day onwards,I am scared of flowers.

I can't even remember a bit of the incident and my mother told this before a few years.

Please,never ever force your child to do a thing.It will affect their subconscious mind.

4. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

My daughter is afraid if someone closes the door by any reason. She prefers all the doors be open all the time. It was very difficult in the evening times and when we visit someone. If we close doors, she cries so much that no body can handle her until doors are open. This is because, she is afraid that once the doors are closed, it wouldn't open, and nobody is there for her. I tried speaking to her, and found that once she was around 3 yrs, her father closed the door and went out for 5 mins. (those times, I used to leave to office early, and DH used to leave her at daycare when he leaves to office). So, I tried all measures to get rid of this fear from her, but could be successful only partially. I showed her how the doors can be open, nobody else can cloes in our house, in others house also, the doors can be opened easily etc etc. After 2 years of constant efforts only, now she is little comfortable. Even in cinema theatres, I used to show her the doors opening and closing. I also showed her that there would be fire exits from where we can go, if one of the door in malls/shops are not functioning. This process is still in progress.

sindmani, vjbunny and kishoremommy like this.
  5. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

Even my elder son who is 9 years old is scared of dark. He asks his brother (2 yrs old) to accompany him for going to restroom when i am not around. Very much worried.

Regards

Rani

sindmani likes this.
  6. kishoremommy

Dear Kiranavvari,

This is really hard part ---convincing that nothing can harm them.It needs constant attention to her fears.

Doors....How old is your DD?She is scared that she may be left alone in a closed room.Your way of convincing is good ,without forcing her and showing the doors used by others.

I wish that she is not scared any more.

7. kishoremommy

Oh Rani.Very much like my son.they can't even realize,how a 2 year old kid can prevent any harm done to them.That is the way a child thinks.

I asked Kishore,"What if an alien comes?They may be scared of us too."

He replied,"No,it may take me to its planet to do some experiments with me."

Then and there,he picks some evidence from newspaper and books to show me that life exists on other planets too.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

hmmmphhh...I too have tried all possible ways of convincing her and strangest part is that she's not afraid always...she plays alone too many a times in the washroom...many a times she's fine with all the loud noises and others she doesnt want to listen to any...Ahhh...thats hard :-(