1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. Imaya

Imaya New IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with a 17 month old

hi all,

Good to see the tips flowing about India travel.

I gave my kid Hepatatis A shot. It should be given two times in the interval of 6 months. I gave one before going to India and one after coming back. Check with your pediatrician, mine suggested that.

Hope my suggestions are also of little help. Give only boiled or bottled water in India, take mosquito repellent with you and apply that before dusk.

Umbrella strollers are handy, taking blanket is a excellent suggestion. You get whole milk, juice, crackers etc on board. I took extra empty bottles/sippy cups and I'll fill them by requesting the airline attendent 1h before landing. So I always had enough supplies on hand during the transit (5hrs @ amsterdam).

Minimize your hand baggage as much as possible as we'll be already like porters carrying baby, stroller, diaperbag etc.,

Take snacks as they really come handy. I remember taking one whole ziplock of cheerios, gerber graduates etc., Other than that you can have their books, toys etc.,

MAYA

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Maya, Mosquito repellent that's the most important tip I totally forgot:) My boy developed some rashes just the next day after we landed in Chennai. The paediatrician said just one mosquito bite is enough to start those rashes for children coming from abroad:) So when we went last year I took a mosquito repellent for children from here itself and applied it before landing. I wonder if we get any special repellents for children in India! That's a very important point... Latha

3. Gaya3murthy

Gaya3murthy New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

As some of you already know that I am travelling to India with my 14 month old daughter in the middle of Feb from Toronto , canada . I do intend to take a cab to the airport and obviously we do not intend to take the car seat. Does anyone know of a cab service that will provide car seat to tavel to and from the airport? I asked a few people and was suggested that "Oh, you could ask your friends or family to drop you off"............. etc. .But.......... with all the baggage and stuff , we prefer a taxi service. Please ladies, if u know any service that will provide car seats, iam so eager to hear from you.

Thanks

Gayathri

4. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,
    There are Airport Shuttles, these are just vans.......they used to provide car seat. You have to book that some1/2 days before your travell day, we did booked that 5 days earlier. They have a form and everything is there. These are a little costlier, but its a very good one. You can also book both way journey so that you will get some discount.
    They used to call you just before their arrival and are very good.
    You can try for that.
    Regards.

5. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much Maya and Latha for your suggestions!! I'll get her shots done before we leave and also get a mosquito repellent cream...

Will also carry empty bottles and do what you suggested for the transit time...

Thanks again ladies!! You guys are awesome!!:)

love,
    Aarushi

6. malli

malli New IL'ite

Re: Checklist For Moms With Babies,toddlers During International Travel

Hi friend,
    Very useful tips for long journey. we are planing to uk in 10 days package tours. You given the tips very useful for me .lots of thanks.:goodidea:

7. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone
    I will be travelling by lufthansa with my 15 month old son in a few weeks.So he will be a 'lapchild'.But I was curious to know what happens during take off and landing...do I have to carry some special child seat suitable for aircrafts to strap him in or will I be allowed to just hold him on my lap?
    I am asking this cause I just read somewhere on the internet that kids above a certain weight have to be strapped in on the so called 'child seat suitable for aircrafts' and I dont know what they mean by this.My son falls under that weight category.

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

During take off and landing, if your child is on your lap you will be given a special seatbelt that can be attached to your seatbelt. Mine had a separate seat, but refused to sit in that during takeoff and landing, so they gave me this attachment.

Hope that helps!

9. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot for clearing my doubt pavarun.:)

10. VRao

VRao New IL'ite

Hi all
    The checklist and experiences are very useful. I have a question though. I am travelling to Chennai with my 10 month old daughter. None of her vaccinations are affected as I'm leaving after her 9 mo checkup and back for her 1 yr checkup. Did anyone visit travel clinic for any additional vaccines, etc?

Thanks
    V