1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

never plays by herself

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sammy05, Jan 27, 2008.

1. sammy05

sammy05 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My daughter is 2.5 yrs old and a real name for naughty.She is hyperactive and very friendly.At the same time she never plays by herself.She always wants me or my husband to play with her.My husband returns around 7.30 pm and will be tired,but she cries and screams until he plays with her.She als harms other kids like hitting,snatching things from everyone's hand .....
    I have told her several times but still she does that.She is also very bright she know around 12 shlokas, 4 rhymes,colors,shapes,numbers till 50,alphabets,kannada alphabets,spelling of her name,9 planets,7 days of the week,4 seasons.....almost everything.
    BUT SHE DOES NOT PLAY BY HERSELF.IS IT NORMAL?She is always clinging to us.

PLZ HELP ME FIND A SOLUTION FOR THIS
    Thanks

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello
    You have not mentioned if that is your only child. With only children that is very very normal as far as i know. Always talk to your pediatrician with any concerns.

3. sammy05

sammy05 New IL'ite

YES she is my only daughter.Thanks

4. sammy05

sammy05 New IL'ite

come on friends reply

Hi.
    PLZ REPLY TO MY POST "never plays by herself"

5. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

My son is 16 months. He does the same thing. This is perfectly normal.

Kavya.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

First thing you should know and take comfort in the fact is kids her age rarely play with other kids - they prefer parallel play. Playing with friends won't start till she turns 3.

Secondly, obviously she is very bright - it is not common for kids her age to know so much. Which also means she has enough energy to expend. She needs to find ways and that might be leading to her behavior with other kids or her fuss about wanting to play. What you need to do is to learn to channelise her energy. Start with a schedule for every day of the week - yes it is more work to you but will pay off in the long run. Come up with something that will involve taking her out. You could start with something like library on monday, some sport on tuesday, a play date on wednesday, take it easy on thursday (doesn't mean you will get quiet time, you might have to read or keep busy other wise), some childrens museum on fridays and let dad devote the weekends for her. Since she must still be taking naps, plan after her naps and finish your work for the day in the morning.

I have followed a similar schedule for my son and that is why I am writing - it might look like you are devoting your life, but if you are home it is easier to follow and definitely worth it. With an expected schedule, she will calm down in a couple of months and soon she will be in preschool

Hope it helps.

7. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Even my son is the same, 2.5 yrs old and very very naughty, he would always want me to play with him or my husband. he will never touch any of his toys.

he started to play with toys and other kids only after going to play school. before that when friends come over all the kids would play separately, that is parallel play, they dont play together which is normal. dont worry abt her.
    just take her to park and play dates and let her play with other kids. they ahve so much energy to spend and utilise it in a better way like enroll her in classes, mommy and me classes so she gets tired there.

my son used to get frustrated sometimes at home, now after started to playschool he is very happy and satisfied and surprisingly he plays by himself with his toys, then when he is tired he watches tv sitting on sofa, before he would never sit and watch tv, he would always be behind me and drive me crazy.

he also started to eat better looking at other kids. before every meal would be a war between him and me. i think being with other kids helps a lot and thats why second child is always easier to deal with than the first kid.

8. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

looks like iam not alone in this, i too am sailing in the same boat, my son just turned 3 he is always active and not to mention a very very naughtiest boy, he likes car or should i say "loves" cars thats all he talks about, so whenever he sees anyone playing with cars in any park or stores, we need to rush out of that place or we will go Witsend. he doesn't even want to share his cars, so being taking this for a long time telling and yelling at him to share, i told him that if he doesn't wants to share he has to tell them and not yell and if he doesn't share he cannot ask others to share. my husband said to him that he is no longer a baby , he is big boy and has to behave like one. he seemed to accept that he is a big boy and said yes to his daddy. i told him if he doesn't like he can say no but in a porper way, seems like it worked out well, yesterday we went to park, when some boy there wanted his ball, first he said no, i just didn't say anything after some time he shared with him. i was really proud... so i guess kids nowdays don't want to hear any advice or yelling rather want to let them make their own decisions..... i don't know....i always listened to my mom even now.....Big Laugh