1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to take antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by rainandsnow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rainandsnow

rainandsnow New IL'ite

Hi ladies! I need your input on this problem. I came to the US nearly 6 years ago and wasnt living in an area without any Indians. The problem I was so socially isolated and my extended family (cousins, uncles and aunts) weren't any help. I was usually put down by them because of my accent and because they thought I was lazy and didnt want to do anything. Pretty much I was depressed and I got anxiety because it was a new school and I didnt know how to interact with people in school. Anyways after 2 years I moved to college and the depression went away. But I noticed that by that time I had no social skills. I didn't know how to make friends. I went to a school with lots of Indian and they all seemed happy to be here. I made a few friends but they were more like acquaintance. Then a year and a half in college the depression came back. I could no longer do my work and started doing really bad in terms of grades. I was in a health related major and wasnt able to continue because I didnt have the grades. it id now my fourth year in college and I still have one year left. I only recently started seeing a counsellor and I was adviced by her to take antidepressants. I am afraid to take them. What if it messes me up more? What if I cant function without it? What happens if I get married in the future, do I have to tell the guy that I had to take antidepressants? I am not even telling my parents. I dont want to burden them with my troubles. Please give your input.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please for whatever reason, don't get into anti - depressant medication.
    It can make things worse.
    It has lot of side effects and one of it (major) is suicidal tendency.
    Just yesterday one India girl (16yrs)old, who was on anti-depressant medication for 9months committed suicide.

Apart from this, it affects your heath with irregular heart beatings etc.

Please try to take some counselling, divert your mind.
    Talk to people about your pain, there is solution for everything.

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

^ This is bad advice, I am sorry to say that puni. Reason is as below:

Basically the only person who can say whether medication is good for you or not is a qualified medical doctor. Please visit a good doctor or psychiatrist (MD medicine) and they can assess you.

Without assessing you - folks on forum giving advice based on their 'personal knowledge' is a dangerous thing. Depending on the evaluation, medication can make people healthier but ONLY a doctor can evaluate.

Sometimes not taking the right medication at the right time may actually cause more harm because you waited too long without taking help. A counselor is supposed to evaluate and if needed refer you to a doctor (which the counselor has done in this case). It is part of their responsibility (in counseling) to point out need for a medical consultation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your reply.
    I am not here to judge or argue with anybody :)
    I am sure OP is not going to just follow my words here, she is going to do whatever is good for her.

Also, I have experienced myself taking this medication and I know the side effects of it.

5. rainandsnow

rainandsnow New IL'ite

The problem is I am not able to function and maintain day to day activities. I am failing in college and I dont have a hope of finding a job or anything. I am scared of my future.

Btw puni88, you mentioned that you have taken antidepressants. How long did you take it for? Did you have any side effects? Also did you tell your family about it? Please dont feel obliged to give me the info. If you want to keep if private I understand.

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,

If your counselor has suggested anti depressants, please see a psychiatrist. Only a psychiatrist should prescribe medication...yes sometimes general physicians prescribe these kinds of medications and some counselors are certified to....but it is always better to see a psychiatrist for that step.

Coming to antidepressants...bouts of depression untreated can lead to clinical depression...where recovery is much harder and prolonged. Obviously you have a lot of stress currently with your academics and limited social life. All these are probably contributing to the recurrence.

Anti depressants can be tricky. When you take any medication, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to know if it actually works for you. Many times, pele have to change the medication even after 2weeks...because they are having adverse effects from the medication. That doesn't mean it is all bad. It means that that particular medication is not right for you. S you start afresh with another medication to see if that works better. What works wonders in one person can have very different reactions in another.

Anti depressants have side effects...in some it is weight gain and in others it kills your appetite. If and when you see a psychiatrist explain all other issues you have ...for example if you have even a mild form of eating disorder it can impact the efficiency of the medication. (What seems innocuous or unrelated to us can give the psychiatrist a better insight). Similarly with sleep...so be very explicit...don't worry about sounding like a hypochondriac:)

As for antidepressants and suicide...when a person is in clinical depression, they may have suicidal thoughts. Wen they take medication, and actually starts working they are not totally out of the woods in terms of their mood but they get more energy and motivation to carry out their plans. That is the catch 22 situation with medication...earlier they have the thoughts but lack the otivatn, planning and energy to carry it out into action. They get better (is a range) but not totally...so those thought scome back every now and then. Add to this, they now have more ability to act on their thouts. . This is always the most sensitive time...

You may find that you need medication now...but it is a control tool and not a cure. Just as it is with suicide, a person before medication does not have the energy to engage in the other activities that help manage the depression. So while you may know the benefits of healthy eating, exercise, etc you may n have been able to plan and organize your day or had the motivation to do these. As you find the right medication you should engage in therapy, enroll in some kind of exercise routine, maybe sign up for a creative arts course..it doesn't matter if they are Indians or not...they will be strangers and that si ok...don't look for strong friendships but try to find one activity you do with other people...even if you are quiet and can't manage the art of 'small talk.'

There is no stigma attached to medication...it is only our perception of it. Remember people with BP, Diabetes take medication every day. It isbto regulate a metabolic need...it is the same here. Depression is not in your mind...it affects your mood yes but itbis an organic condition.

At the same time, remember that the role of medication is only to bring you to a stage where you can learn coping skills... coping skills teach you how to manage your mood so you can over come the episode. They teach you how to recocnize symptoms in the event of a recurrence and how to be proactive before it gets to a deeper clinical diagnosis.

Good luck.

4 people like this.
  7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

If you are at a stage where you can't function in you day to day activities, please see a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

8. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Anti depressants can be addictive and bad for the system if taken for along time . No medicine can make one confident and happy.But you can take them if suggested by a Doctor and also go for self-help classes. Soon you will not need any medicine.
    It will be better if you took personality development classes which will help you lifelong. Improve your social skills, go for a makeover , new haircut , join a hobby class etc.
    Maybe you applied for courses which do not interest you.If you don't like science, maths(like me) you will be a nervous wreck. If you choose your subjects to your liking and not because its trendy, you will excel.
    One can excel in cooking, painting, dancing and make a career out of it.
    Also try and stay away from depressing relatives who make fun of you, they need help themselves.
    Even placebos work , its all psychological, all you need a boost to your confidence level.
    You are young , healthy and have so many pluses for you, cheer up!

9. rainandsnow

rainandsnow New IL'ite

I am also afraid to long term effects of anti depressants. I looked up online and I found stories of people that has to take the medication for years and when they get off it they get depressed again. I know that medication is only for me so I can learn the coping skills but still this scares me.

Also I am thinking of the future. What the person would marry someone who takes or has taken psychiatric medications? I am afraid that this will be a problem if I decide to take antidepressants. Also if I dont take the medications I wont even be able to get to a point where I can lead a normal life. I am just so confused.

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

No need to be confused. Pick up the newspaper look for interesting classes and join even if they are short term . Once you start something constructive you will be on the road to recovery.Join English speaking classes if you feel bad about your accent.Stop reading stories on the net, go for a walk ,take medicines if necessary but only to get a kick start.
    Just thinking and imagining things never helps.