1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on moving from India to Canada

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by lovekids, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lovekids

lovekids New IL'ite

Hi friends

I will be moving to Ontario, Canada by June to join my husband who is working over there.
    Could you please provide me info on what all should I carry there, to set a new house. Regarding the necessary clothing too.

Thanks
    Lovekids

2. sreemu

sreemu Bronze IL'ite

Hi lovekids,
    U get pretty much everything here in canada
    if I were u I wud carry pressure cooker which is very handy for us
    and indian blender as the blenders we get here do not meet our indian needs like grinding dosa aand idli batter or chutneys, other than that we will get everything here depending in which place u r living
    june will starting of summer so gud time to come to canada
    HTH
    sree

3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

As Sreemu told you will get everything except parents :). If you prefer homemade powders try to get them. I would advice you to get kitchen utensils ( I'm comfortable with our utensils). Try to get everything flat, coz it is induction stoves. Try to get non stick tava and pan. They are slightly expensive here. I recently got a good brand for 200$. Also remember that the sales tax is high here and the cost of living is high in Canada. Be prepared. Do not convert to indian rupees. I would advice for intial days try to get some food stuffs from India. Coz you dont know how far the indian store is from the office/house.

Depends on which location your husband's job is you can chose housing. Esp in Ontario 60-70% are immigrants. Every 4th person you see on the road is a brown skin.
    Summer is a good time and you will surely enjoy

4. lovekids

lovekids New IL'ite

Thanks for the your reply, friends :)

5. gomesdeepak

gomesdeepak New IL'ite

hi i am new to canada in mississauga.. i am searching for frnds. i am frm coimbatore....
    should we get along

6. shanshivs

shanshivs New IL'ite

Hi Gomes,

How are you finding the cold out there? I am moving to Waterloo next month and am just worried how the kids will manage. I heard that grinders are available in amazon. is that so, or should we bring it from here?