1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to raise kid brilliant

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cutiesri, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ramra

ramra New IL'ite

hi sssmagic,
    what u have told is somewhat right,but TELEVISION IS A ONE WAY COMMUNICATION that means the children will not learn reply or ans or react or communicate......so sometimes it is ok (some good programs)

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

I beg to differ... kids learn a lot from tv... oh ofcourse u are not going to watch soaps with them! My kid learnt so much from baby genius/ barney/ and even from cartoon shows... Plus ofcourse read them books as and when possible
    Even when i read the daily newspaper, i read it with her.
    try getting picture books... encourage learning new words... frame sentences and talk a LOT with the kid.... ofcourse toddlers are very curious, so try and answer even the silliest of their questions.
    They love to talk... always encourage them to learn more.

1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Umaguru
    I am not sure if my practice belongs to the "old school"..... for, my kids are no longer kids...my elder one being at the threshold of teens.
    I had followed a mixed bag, some soft music when they were really young, read aloud stories- age based, a bit of TV, he (and she) had a toy-computer which made them learn sounds, colors, shape and alphabets real fast, LEGos (his fav. pass time was to build bridges with these blocks, and now he hopes to persue Engg) and lot of out door sports, catch-catch, ball throw, etc. As they grew up they did work on printable coloring sheets, join the dot games and more vigrous out door sports like football, cycling etc.
    Provide them with a happy, secure environment at home.....kids of happy parents trend to be good performers.
    And I am proud to be the mom of two brilliant and fit kids :thumbsup.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  4. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

thank you mega and loonypooh for ur suggestions....

5. SSSMagic

SSSMagic Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends
    Thanks a lot for ur reply:)

6. riddhu

riddhu New IL'ite

keep thm busy wit some stuff like books of animal,fruits etc also help thm in watching tv and other networks....

riddhu (Sarika)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Brilliance depends on the genes and also every inividual child.Give them lot of oppurtunities in various subjects and find out on what he is interested.Accordingly bring them the best.

8. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Dear Uma,

My elder son is 9 years old and his performance in school has always been outstanding.Basically he is of very soft nature and sensitive.This is because,I have made him to watch TV a lot when he was around 2 years old.As,I had to do a lot of household work then and MIL won't share any work.

At that time,TV was a blessing.Kishore's favourite shows were Barney,Miffy and friends,Boohbah,Teletubbies,oswald,Noddy.

At the age of 3,he was advised to wear spectacles due to cylindrical power.Till now he is wearing and I feel that I am solely responsible for this.Nobody blames me but,I feel guilty.

Never ever allow the kids to watch TV continuously for a long time.Yes,they will learn a lot of things but it is not good for eyes.Now,My second son ,who is 20 months old insists on watching computer while eating.

Again,it is because of me as I find it easier to feed him while he is watching his favourite songs(Rhymes,movie songs,Phonic songs).He hates watching TV.But,only during eating time ,I allow him.

Kishore likes to read a lot of books .I have taken two library memberships for him.this really makes him brilliant.He can write poems and stories in English at the age of 7 itself.Sometimes,when I am in loss of words to express in English ,he helps me.This started with a Tinkle at an age of 4.

When I was 5 years old,I used to say a lot of slogas and thirukkural with excellent pronunciation.this hait of memorizing showed a good result in my academics performance too.Reading develops one's creativity and imagining power.this is the key point in learning.

Telling moral stories,(panchatantra is the best) is another way of raising the kids with moral values.Children have the habit of comparing real life incidents with the stories.In turn ,they can learn a lot of strategies and compassion for fellow living beings.

I would recommend story telling with an emphasis of moral values.Besides,being brilliant ,nowadays,kids really need that.

9. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Thanks swethasri nd riddu for replying

10. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Kishoremommy very nice to see your post..thanks a lot..it will be very useful for all mommies who wants to bring their child brilliant..