1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it over?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by tulipzz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Proudindian, Thank you very much for understanding. Some clarifications:

I am very very sorry for what you have gone through. But you know dear almost every indian women/mother have gone through these troubles and tortures at some point. In laws never understand DIL needs rest, nurishment, care like their own daughter. Now after 14 years of being married in Indian family I feel its foolish to expect love, respect from in laws. Some communities have really good traditions that women goto mother's house for delivery and post natel care. I was at my parents place for sometime. When I wanted to return to my flat after my mums leave was over, dh asked me to stay with his parents since they too should get a chance o spend time with the baby. Thus began all the mess in my life!

Coming to your situation I think you are still traumatized with past. Is it possible for you to make peace with your past and start fresh beginning? Is your husband that bad that you can't forget past for your daughter's sake. Why did you come back in this environment again which reminds you bad past? You can continue living in u.s. with your daughter happily. We are in India just for a holiday -2 weeks.Always remember bad time pass fast and good time will come soon. Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated I just came across something which may help you to heal.

2. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Radhai. I wrote all tht I had to. I'm now waiting to hear from everyone.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

That's the what important right.Some of our friends,don't do Indian visits when there husband are visiting.This is very common expected your husband behavior when they visit India.

In a office environment,boss always feel superior and people who works for him needs to obey to them.In Indian culture this is as simple as that.They feel,DIL is the inferior and rest of group can boss around her.

You can't change there minds other than ignoring them.Your husband supporting to you.Some people do some don't.And you simply didn't get that person.As long he is taking care of you and taking of your DD and you are not living with them.That's what most of us look for and would ignore the India episodes or next time don't even visit with him.you go by yourself.

whatever your story,is story of lot of people.And it's there choice not to break the relations and just ignore the things which they don't like.At the same time,you need to look at and understand your husband position also to have a peaceful life in your house.

I don't think anyone would advise you to break a relation in the given situation.Each person will have strengths and weakness.Even my husband doesn't support me and it's know thing to me .So I don't expect that again and again.It may take years sometimes that too happen.I feel 5 years is a very short period.

Give him time and love then he will turn around .Again it's really up to you.

I do remember your last post where you were not able to forget and move on.Since you are india,talking to some spiritual guru would help to pass this difficult phase of yours.

Either you stay in the marriage or don't,,first you should able to move on and find peace within yourself.Then only your rest of life will become easy for you and your DD.

I also think the mindset of Men and Women are very different.He can't read your mind and you can't read his mind.I am married for 10 years but I still fail to understand lot of times my husband and he does that same.Doesn't mean that he is bad. It's simply reaching to each other it very difficult.

Now I have two daughters,every day I preach to them that they need to be together and take care of each other.As a mom,I wanted to be them together.At this point,I don't know each person going to be turn in.One could be selfish and snatch things.But even at that point,my daughters still struggle to detach from each other because what they learned from day 1 is not happening because one's selfishness.

Not you understand what I am trying to say.it's not easy to your husband to give up on his parents what bad they are.It's emotional connection they have from Day 1.

3 people like this.
  4. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Good that you had finished your posts, OP.
    I am very sorry for all that you had gone through.

Calm down please. Whatever you decide let it not be
    when your emotions are running high.

From the look of it, you need time to heal and your H
    feels enough is enough. But all is not gone yet. Let
    your emotions drain a bit and you can think through this again.

5. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Tulipzz,

What is the latest issue about?
    For a moment leave all the baggage.
    Just think about the latest issue and your concerns.
    What is it that makes you rebel in this 2 weeks vacation in India?

Let us handle one at a time.

6. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Tulipzz,

You want to live with this person or not who is your daughter's father also - Your answer would be Yes. So this is the bottom line.

You dont plan to settle down in India any time soon, and he is progressing to be a better husband when he is in US.

Learn to Ignore Tulipzz, hitting on the same thing that happened in the past is gonna lead you no where, now that you have learnt to disown (is it a right word here !!! not sure but) your MIL, SIL, FIL like your counselor suggested just stick to it.
    If you have to go there, make it clear to your husband, that you are not gonna get into any kind of discussions. You have had enough, you want me to come there, them I come, I stay there and then leave.

No fights, no issues, no pulling each others legs, no giving back mode no discussion and all. Let them brain- wash DH what ever they want. tell your husband, that bcase they are your parents I am still coming there.

Tell him that you dont want any lawyer police crap thing to be spoken about Period.

2 people like this.
  7. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Priya16,
    That's the what important right.Some of our friends,don't do Indian visits when there husband are visiting.This is very common expected your husband behavior when they visit India.

Lesson learnt. Very very hard way. Will remember this.

1 person likes this.
  8. Anikha

Anikha Silver IL'ite

I totally agree with Priya16...:coffee

My marriage is about 25 yrs now , still my Husband can't speak against his folks.....
    not even in their absence..........

It's sons weakness , and that's in-laws advantage point...... which makes Dil life an emotional wreck....

tulippzz,

If you are still in India, just go Il's house , don't talk any thing..just act you are dumb... & deaf....

Once you come back to U.S with your H., follow, what Priya16 says...

Never go India along with him, make separate trips to India ....

You are still very young , you can not live a life alone , there is no guarantee , that another marriage
    will promise you a dignified , decent & understanding in-laws......

Marriage is package deal, it is a family package deal with Indian men ,
    It is a cultural & inter-racial package deal with western man ....

Life is a game , you have to play it safe & smart....
    You sound very sensitive , I have been in to depression ....

My husband never argues with his folks to protect me ,
    but tells me in private , I have to learn to be thick skinned , stand like a buffalo in rain...no emotions....

Hope you learn ... from us seniors ........:notthatway:

your husband will sympathize with you , but , you have to for give him , it will take at least a decade for any man to take wife side .......:bowdown

Relax , come back to U.S. go to star bucks , have a nice Cappaccino dear :cheers:cheers, leave in-laws in-india behind , take it easy , get over past ,,,, there is beautiful life here , since you have a full time career , enjoy , it's spring here with all the seasonal changes , BBQs , pot lucks , friends , just keep these in mind ... Please forget past for your baby sake.......

Just feel your self as a superior character , emerge as a winner by forgiving your Husband ........

1 person likes this.
  9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I just wanted to post few things.

The things which happened beginning of your marrige,is in none of your hands.You both didn't get time to spend each other.Your husband get to hear two version of everything and he married you by arranged marriage.Means he listened to his family and married you.So things won't change and he believes his mom and that's common.

And he stood by you to take separate house and quit your job.It's not that easy for your husband not to come his folks his home.It's hard believe me.for him it's easy job not protecting you than telling his folks not to come.

But anyway he took to USA.Don't you think he just did like that by moving to USA.May be he thought it would be better for you guys and moved.

From now on things on your hands.It's really up to you how you wanted to play your cards.How much you suffer,he also would suffer.It's not easy for a men,mother and wife not to get along.It's hard on them too.

As a wife you should support him and he don't have to talk to his folks and I don't think he forced you to do those duties.Anyway you told us that he did support you couple of times in US.

So it's our game.As Anikha said,play your game to win and not to loose.You were thinking,you are going to leave him to his parents.

The truth is,no one can separate him and his parents.We need to understand that.We are the one who will leave if time comes.

So leave past and time played with you.Don't think your MIL played with you.

10. bebe

bebe Bronze IL'ite

Dear Tulipzz, hugs to you dear. Sorry hun, that you have had to go through all this. Let me tell you one thing: This husband not being able to take side, and not being able to see right from wrong, happens in more families than you thing. I had VERY dominating inlaws and it nearly cost me my marriage to send up for myself and not to let them treat me like dirt. It took time to realize, that I need to concentrate ONLY on my husband and on myself. I am coordial to my inlaws but no more. and since they have realized, that my husband is not going to leave me, the dont interfere anymore. You need to work on the relationship between your husband and you. make it strong. Ignore all others. But first you really need to forgive him and heal yourself. In what you wrote, there are quite a few instances where your H stood up for you. Let your love flow over all his negativ behavior in the past, forgive him and build a beautiful, great life in the US. believe me, it's in YOUR hands.

@Priya, cant read your pm, dont have enough posts in last month to be able to access them. Hope ou are fine. I am fine:)

4 people like this.