1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

aksharabhyasam

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by visala, Mar 31, 2012.

1. visala

visala Senior IL'ite

what should i carry to temple for aksharabhyasam?

2. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Aksharabhyasam is the ritual which is an induction to formal studies. We invoke the Gods to bless the kid in his endeavour. Instruments required for studying (something to write on, to write with, books) are presented along with a set of new clothes. Rice is spread on a plate and child is placed on one's lap; holding his hand, "Hari Om" is written on the rice using a gold ring followed by the child's name.

The child is made to sit on his father's lap. Guiding the child's forefinger, letters are written in the paddy grains(Raw rice) spread on the plate.

A small puja is done and the Gods are invoked to help the child complere his education without a hitch. Some important slokas are chanted. Among then is one to Hayagruva - the god of wisdom

Jnanananda Mayam Devam Nirmala Spatika Kruthim
    Aadharam Sarva Vidyanam Hayagrivam Upasmahe.

(I promise myself before Hayagriva, the Deva who is the personification of Jnana(knowledge) and Happiness(Ananda), who is very pure, and who is the basis of all learning.) The other important sloka is one to Goddess Saraswati, the God of learning.

Saraswathi Namasthubyam Varadhe Kama Roopini
    Vidhyarambham Karishyami Siddhi Bavathu Me Sadha.

(I Prostrate my self before Saraswati, who fulfills every wish. Praying to her, I commerce my education. I pray to her, I commerce my education. I pray to her for its successful completion)

The day which is considered auspicious is the day of Akshaya Thrithyai. This day comes during the Tamil month of Chithrai which is between April 15 and May 15. Akshaya means growth or growing. Thus there is a belief that anything that commences on this day will prosper.

Hope above will help you.

Regards

2 people like this.
  3. visala

visala Senior IL'ite

how wonderfully u have explained.thanku thanku very very much.