End of Textile Quota - Opportunities?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by akalya, Aug 7, 2005.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

I have been recently reading articles about some ending of textile quotas and how it opens oppportunities for India to export more clothes to the US. Does any one know more details about it?

I am exploring this because if it is a real opportunity I would like to market Indian company's clothes to US clothing retailers here. I have a kid and this should be something that I can do from home and make descent income.

Thank you all for any input.

akalya

2. bshilpap

bshilpap New IL'ite

Wat Kinda clothes?

I have no idea about that article regarding quota but if u r ready to market clothes in US then I put my idea.

My SIL is a fashion designer. She runs boutique in Pune. If possible I can take her help to export clothes to US. But we have no idea about US cloth market. If u elaborate ur idea and about US market in detail . We can put our efforts in that way. Like Ankita and Reshna were talking about yoga dresses and pregnancy dresses,

If anybody wants to throw more light on our idea are welcome.

Feel free to private message me.

Regards
    shilpa

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  3. Sharmili

Sharmili New IL'ite

Can you please elaborate?

Akalya,

Can you please elaborate as to what you are thinking about?. I am currently working in a call centre and if the opportunity is good, I can quit my job and work in co-ordinating the new business from India. Please let me know.

Thanks.

4. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Hey Akalya,
    i am a textile designer but at home after marriage....pls elaborate your idea.....i would like to use my spare time usefully.I am in Sunnyvale, CA.where are u in U.S?

5. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Two women setup

What I had in mind was this setup:

A person in the US contacts the retailers here, shows the various textiles designs and gets orders. A person in India facilitates design and production as per customer order. If two women with enough drive gets together, then this could be a powerful business opportunity.

I was thinking that I could market Indian textiles to US retailers if I can get a solid partner in India to do the design and production. Still one of those ideas I am thinking over, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

6. sonal

sonal Junior IL'ite

Thanks Akalya for starting this thread. After seeing your post here, I read a little about this quota matter. What I understand is that until Dec 31st 2004, each country had quota as to how much textiles they would like to import from another country.

In the case of USA, something like..

China - 40%
    India - 20%
    Italy - 15%
    Korea - 15%

Under the above scenario, each country can export only until its quota gets over. For example, India can only export up to 20% of US imports. After that even if Italy is priced higher than India, they get to export to US.
    On January 1st 2005, this quota system was abolished. What this does for us is that India can now compete with high cost countries like Italy is supplying to US without worrying about Quota.

That is probably one reason we find more India made clothes in shops like Kohls. There is definitely good feasibility for the idea that you are proposing. Thanks.

Sonal