1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Savannah Area Attractions - Things to do!!

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by Aarushi, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Savannah is a coastal city on the east coast. It used to be the old capital of Georgia. When I visited there 2 years back, it was quite a charming town with a nice downtown area. There were horse carriage rides that would take you all over the town, musicians that played live, benches where you could sit and enjoy them, specialty shops that you could stroll in and out of etc.

But I bet there are tons of places only the insiders will know. Please come and add those must see attractions to this list. I'm going ahead and naming the most famous ones -

1) Savannah History Museum - Located in an old train station, this museum chronicles the history of Savannah through exhibits and videos.

2) Savannah National Wildlife Refuge - This nature preserve, on the South Carolina border, offers more than 27,000 acres of freshwater marshes, tidal rivers and creeks.

3) Fort McAllister State Historic Park - On the Great Ogeechee River’s south bank, this park acreage of live oaks and salt marsh is home of the best preserved earthwork fortification of the Confederacy. A Civil War museum has a historical movie and the park provides for picnics, hiking, fishing, and camping.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Aarushi - Looking at the pictures of Savannah in some magazines, I am tempted to visit the place, especially because it is closer to the coast. There is a good programme on GPB called Georgia Traveller and Savannah was featured on it. How long does it take to drive from Atlanta?

3. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

It takes about 4 hours as far as I recall. And yes, it is a nice place to visit on a weekend.:) There's Tybee island also that is near by and I've some colleagues rave about it...you might wanna check that out too..:)

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arushi,
    Thanks for these information.
    I think you can make a complied book and send it to all Ilites.

~Punitha

5. Elbethel

Elbethel New IL'ite

My friend got a job in Savannah State University. He is hesitating. Is it a good place? What about the cost of living. Are there many Indian community, restaurants and grocery? Is it easy to get apartments for rent or to buy?

Rema