I need a better work environment...

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by umaaa, Dec 27, 2007.

1. umaaa

umaaa New IL'ite

Hi IL's,
    I'm so disturbed nowadays because of my work environment. I have good experience in IT industry and I'm working in a IT company now. I have around three years of experience and my boss knows well that I'm working good. He told me many times that my part in my team is an essential one. But the problem is, some politics also going around and i'm the one who is suffering. Everyone is making me fool and I'm not getting good quality works, leadership or anything.. I feel that I'm wasting my career by sitting in my company. Basically, I joined the company as a fresher and I'm very loyal. I'm thinking of leaving the company now. But the problem is, I'll get married in 5-6 months and I don't know if it's the best time to shift. Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Umaaa

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Umaa,

Have you spoken to your boss about it? Many times you have to ask for a promotion or a raise. Go armed with a list of all your achievements in the last 3 years and why you think you should be promoted/given a raise.

If that doesn't work, then start applying elsewhere. If you find a better opportunity elsewhere, go ahead and move.

About you getting married in 5-6 months time, unless you are planning to move to another city after marriage, I don't see why that is an issue at all...

love,
    Aarushi

3. Rakshana

Rakshana New IL'ite

Trying to discuss this matter in the most diplomatic way possible can be indeed an excellent idea. No matter the answer, at least you got this out of your mind and you can then know how to make the first step. If there is no way for you to further grow in the company maybe it's also a good idea to start looking for something else. In the end you can remain at the current company if you are not pleased with another option, but there might be something better out there for you.

Please keep us posted and we wish you the best of luck

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

In my opinion, IT professional can never be loyal to any company. If you like the company & environment you can be loyal.. If not there is no point in suffering.
    Its always good for a software person to move around jobs so you can learn new technologies and get experience in wide variety of projects. And of course when u move to a new project you can ask for higher compensation.

That too in Chennai you can find so many opportunities with your experience.

GoodLuck!

:)

5. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Dear Uma,
    It is no use working for a company where your work is not recognised. And if u feel that u r not leraning anything new in ur work then its better u quit and start looking for another job rather than going through this trauma. Unless you are going to get married and move some other place its better to start looking for a new job.
    -priya

6. Rashmita

Rashmita New IL'ite

Hi Uma,
    In my opinion, the best option for you is to talk to your boss about it, ask for a promotion, tell him that you feel that your work isn't appreciated the way it should be (especially as he knows how important it is what you do there), suggest some changes... I'd stay there more if I were you, especially considering the wedding, you'll be more relaxed in a familiar work environment, so I don't know if it's such a good idea to start experimenting now... Good luck with it!

7. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Here is what I would do.

If I am working in a company more than years, I will make sure I know couple of senior manager And I have talking terms with them and more important they know me too.
    If you know couple of senior managers, Just ask your favourite one to pull you in his project. Simple. Thats where connections are helpful.

Now the other problem could be that you dont know any senior manager, If not try working towards it. Make it a goal to have stretch project or extra dummy project under any of these good managers. Basically you need to exude your intelligence and smartness towards them to convince that you are big shot in awaiting too.

Once thats done, your 80% work is done. Bid your boss good bye and have fun in new project.

Ria