how to buy fish bowl??

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by RADIODOC679, Feb 7, 2012.

1. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends!!
    i recently shifted into my new apartment.i wanted since long time to have an aquarium,now iam thinking of one.how do i go about? a friend advised to start with a fish bowl.can anyone enlighten me.
    thanks
    radha

2. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Radha

I have a fish bowl and in my experience, it is not a long term option for two reasons. Maintenance is high (have to clean once every 10 days definitely) and the type of fish you can keep are limited because of lack of oxygen supply. Even gold fish sometimes survives and sometimes does not. So, I would suggest that you go for the tank with oxygen supply (motorized) - these days, you get even smaller tanks with oxygen.

Cheers
    Sumo

PS: I am feeling good revisiting the site after a long time! For various reasons, had taken a long break from browsing and the mail from IL to respond to unanswered queries was a remainder to come back. Indus Ladies has grown and changed for better and it is a pleasure being here. And I hope this reply is useful! Cheers

3. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

Hi Radha,

You can have only a few fishes in the bowl. Also since the bowl is curved, sometimes, the fishes may not be visible when they are in certain angles from our eyes. Also you have to handle it carefully, due to the spherical shape.

It is better to go for tanks. I think, nowadays, there are tanks available with all accessories fitted. Visit a few aquariums and see what kinds of tanks and accessories are available and their prices. Then decide and go for the one that suits you. If you dont have prior experience in keeping pet fish, ask the shop keeper for the do's and dont's for each type of fish, tank and accessories.

Good luck.

4. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

@sumathy & @Mahanu-Many thanks for your prompt replies.i was only wanting to start with fish bowl since i never kept any pets in my house and since i am working so will keeping aquarium without prior experience ???? Lets see i will keep your valuable advice and keep u posted.
    Thanks!!!
    radha

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Radha,

Since you are new to maintaining an aquarium and also working, i too would suggest you go for a tank. It would be much lesser maintenance than a fish bowl. With maintaining proper air supply and better environment, fish tend to live longer.

6. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

I too had the dream of owning a fish tank for a long time. But some how it never happened! Later, I saw this and it sounds like something we all need to think about! Please read this fully : Fish in Tanks | PETA.org