South Indian Groceries in Auckland

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by nags, Apr 17, 2011.

1. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am in Auckland only from last 6 months, staying in CBD which is not exaclty residential and not many contacts either.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me find specific shops which sell south indian powders like huli pudi, saarina pudi. (rasam/sambar powder)

i dont want just regular curry powder ( i dont even know what goes into it).

I am kannadiga so very used to eat huli, saaru.

thanks for input in advance.

2. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

oh somebody please help me.

please any other south indians you know, please ask for me.

3. PrabhaNiv

PrabhaNiv New IL'ite

Hi nags,

Its been a month since you first posted, have you found an indian grocery shop yet?

If not, pls read below:

Evn i m new to auckland, but from what i ve seen, no south indian grocery shops that i know of in particular. But in cbd, there are a few indian grocery shops, in k road there is a shop, selling indian groceries, its opposite to lim chour market. Its called Indian supperrette or something, My husband says there are a few indian shops in k'rd. And one more in end of symonds street, called "indian spices", opposite to little india restaurant.(check expiry date of all products though). they ahve loads and loads of spices.

and if you want to buy more specific items, you can always go to the one in sadringham.

Hope it helps..

4. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

thank you so much for reply. i will try these stores. i did see an aisle at mahadeo near MG centre on new north road. if i dont find one nearby, i will go with what i get at mahadeo's. do you also stay in CBD.

thanks again.

5. ra4ra4ra

ra4ra4ra New IL'ite

Hi Nags

you have lot of grocery stores in Sandringham shops. If u don't have your own transport, you can catch 248, 249, 233 buses from midtown (M5 - Just further up Whitcoulls) Its just 2 stages in the bus. But its worth it to go there as there are a lot of shops and u can find everything.

Regards

Ramya

6. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

thank you for info

7. RaagaSaga

RaagaSaga New IL'ite

Hi nags,

I'm new to Auckland, been just a year here...

There's a good store called Khyber Spice in Royal Oak, very close to the roundabout. They sell South Indian foods also.
    Also, there's another South Indian store in Royal Oak Mall - called Spice Corner.

8. killerontheplat

killerontheplat Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    You might ifnd some in papatoetoe as well,
    but I believe royal oak and sandingham would be closer for you.
    Welcome to Auckland

9. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Hi,
    May be you already have found the south Indian shops, but after seeing this I thought I'll also reply, naanu kooda kannadathi, illige bandi 3 yrs aythu, naanu usually sandringham nalli iruva Top IN Town, illi most of the priya n MtR products siguthe,kyber nalli shop madthini,cause good value for money. Yogijii antha Mt Roskil alli idhe, alli kooda, jola da hittu, raagi hittu yella thumba chennagiruthadhe Try maadi nodi....
    shwetha

10. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

To Nags,
    Illi thumba naavu kannadigaru idhivi, kannada sangha idhe, basava samithi idhe, if you are interested let me know, happy to share the details.....