Home made remedy for increasing breast milk

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by JayaJ, Sep 25, 2007.

1. pallavisurapaneni

pallavisurapaneni New IL'ite

Re: Remedies for Sore/Cracked Nipples while Breast feeding

hi sanravi,
    Congrats for the new baby....
    for sore nipples u can try cabbage leaves(u cut cabbage and put them on nipples)it does wonders...even i used to have the same problem...that i used to cry while breastfeeding...but it stayed for 5 to 7 days ..at that time when my husband went to pharmacy they gave me some cream and they told him that cabbage is a good treatment for sore nipples...and i have read it in baby books as well...so i hope it will help u a lot...it will give u so much relief..and when i had this problem my friends also suggested to try cabbage leaves....try it and let me know ....take care..
    pallavi.

2. New_Mommy

New_Mommy New IL'ite

Regarding Ure sore nipples....Try applying Hot or Cold Pad on....Also Air out For sometime before u BF

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

sure pallavi , i will try and let u know.. thanks

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks new mommy, am doing it..

5. pallavisurapaneni

pallavisurapaneni New IL'ite

hey one more thing u will get ointment(for cracked nipples) from pharmacy stores ....no need of prescription....in any pharmacy u may get it...

6. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

here are some things you can do for sore nipples

lansinoh breast cream(it is over the counter)
    air out nipples
    make sure bra or breast pad agrees with your skin..else those can increase the problem
    best of all, after feeding the baby, express the breast milk and put some over the nipples.. breast milk heals the cracks faster than any cream.
    take care of latching issues.. if not, you will have this problem recurr..can you talk to any of the lactation consultants..

not sure about switching formula, but i wanted to say that if you want to continue to breast feed longer and stop formula at some point, dont replace breastfeeding with lot of formula feeding.. your milk supply will go down if you give too much formula..or atleast you will need to pump the milk at constant intervals to keep up the milk supply..

good luck..hope you feel better soon..

7. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi,

As many have told, please do not change the formula milk stick on to only one. Even if enfamil, stick on to only one type say enfamil lipil - use only that constantly and do not try even any of other enfamil products now.

For sore nipples, after every feeding, please apply some of the breast milk on the nipple and air dry. do not use lots of soap while bathing. Wear a loose Bra. U can use lansinoh - a white and violet/purple colour tube (which doctors said it is safe for the babies too - it gives a very good relief) and i guess it is an over the counter medicine. That was the doctors suggestion for me. They gave some samples in the hospital. Till then, you can pump milk and feed the baby. Please avoid giving formula just for this reason because nothing equals your milk for the baby. Even enfamil can be additonal food or a supplement. You would have got a free hand pump after your delivery and even that is handy. Pumping milk is the best other option for your sore nipples as it will keep up your milk production which is very important. If you stop now, milk production will also slow down to stop. Another problem you may face is engorgement if you do not let the milk out. Since this is a temporary problem, you can pass it soon. Good luck.

regards
    raji

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  8. girisiva

girisiva New IL'ite

I had a lot of issues with cracked nipples initially. Sometime just expressing breastmilk and spreading it on the nipple and air drying it will help. Please find out if you have latching problems. Then try pumping and feeding him. Drink water before you start nursing. RELAX. Good luck with breastfeeding. It is not easy initially but the long term benefits for the baby are well worth it.

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Post pregnancy foods

I would like to know what are the post pregnancy foods to be taken (I guess they say it as patthiya sapadu in Tamil).

My mom is coming here anways but she has got her visa from Jan 28th.

I am just having some slight feeling that baby might be early, I dont know why but I do have this feeling. I didnt disclose this to my husband or my mom as they might get worried. The midwife said that everything is normal, but somehow its just my feeling.

So, I dont want to ask my mom what are those foods. Anyways if the baby comes early, she will tell it over phone.

Anyways I thought if there are certain groceries required for that for which they have to be got from Indian stores, I might as well do it during the next week.

So can anyone please post the list of foods and their recipes?

10. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

Re: Post pregnancy foods

hi ,i dont know about the traditional foods ,but you must take a lot of fibre diet ,fruits and vegetables ,lot of milk for calcium .look after yourself ,is this your first baby?take care,humera.