Is there a God?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SallyR, Dec 19, 2011.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I sure hope there is:)

The other day I was walking through the Christmas markets and it was a miserable cold rainy day. I figured if there was no Christmas, you'd have to invent it because there was no way people could live day in and day out in such gloomy weather without something to make the place cheerful and festive.

Personally, I believe morals and principles that we hold dear do not come from our belief in God...even if there was no God I hope we have the conviction to do what is right. And it took me a while to learn that God is not to give or take anything away.

Where I do see evidence for God is in other people's acts...as much as there are horrific things in this world, a lot of people make a choice to be kind and generous without expecting anything in return. That makes me believe in a God-not because he/she makes them act so but because what is in them is worthy of being called Godliness.

1 person likes this.
  2. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

God, i was too religious towards god, fo small things i used to pray lot. But from week i lost hope inhim.
    He is there. But he dont care me.
    I think he isnot there forme.

I ave a strong reason and so depressednow so i decided this there is no more god for me.

If he is there i really hate him.

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Very true "TEACHER"...........:thumbsup

4. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Well, Sally, here are a few thoughts from my side on why there is a Supreme Being:

- Science explains that the world is made of atoms, sub-atomic particles, even smaller particles. What is it that defines how these particles should be bonded in such and such a form?
    - Who made the blueprint that H20 is for water,O2 is for air etc.? Humans only derived the formula of the base elements, but who made the elements themselves?
    - What is it that makes iron, silver, gold or diamonds? Who defined the process for making these naturally?
    - What is it that turns the air into a breeze or a hurricane?
    - What is it that defined the order of beings - that a bird should fly, a bee should buzz, a human should think?
    - Who made us 'think'? Who provided the specification of every living and non-living thing in the universe?
    - What makes the planets revolve and rotate? What made the galaxy the way it is?
    - Who decides when we are born and when we die, naturally?

I can go on and on, but Satchi has already surmised it beautifully. Every little thing that we see and feel is a miracle of God. So, yes, there is a God.

In adverse times, we ask, "Where is God?". We forget that God is inside us, in our ability to think and act. Religion is just a tool to bring out our life-energy and pour it into another form so that we may derive power from it. We forget that truth and we 'shun' God. A light is needed only when there is darkness to dispel. Adversities are part of our life and they make our life more meaningful. God exists in this duality and surpasses all this duality. My response to your post has been on another perspective - the justification on God's existence, and not on whether God choses to help one or not, for 'God works in mysterious ways'.

Have a very Happy New Year!!!!!

2 people like this.
  5. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

I can tell you my opinion but remember I am not promoting my religion but its you who asked so I am giving my own opinion that what makes me believe in God. I believe, Yes, God exists, but the definition of Godhood in Jainism is quite different from other religions. Most religions say there is one God or almighty God, who created the world and maintaining it, but Jainism says that each and every soul is god. i.e. the soul of each living creature (not just humans but even a bacteria) has the capacity to become divine and attain liberation (nirvana) from universe and go to moksha (a place where liberated souls live). All souls are potentially God, yours, mine and others. But we are still not liberated. i.e. Good and bad karmas are attached with us. While the actual Gods, who attained nirvana like Lord mahavira, are those who detached all karmas from them through tap. i.e. If we follow their footsteps, we can too attain liberation. But we all the souls are potentially god, hows that possible. Lets take example of sugarcane and sugar which we use for cooking. What is common quality in both of them - "Sweetness". But what is difference, sugarcane is natural and cannot be used for cooking like using in tea,cofee or halwa (whatever), but processed sugar is the one which is processed in a factory and is made from sugarcane & can be used in daily cooking. So, same way, we are like sugarcane, who has all the qualities of the god within us, but that quality cannot be recognized or used, because we are in raw state and is bound by good and bad karma, i.e. karma is surrounded/attached with our soul, while the actual gods like Lord Mahavir are those who once upon a time was like sugarcane but processed himself into a liberated soul by sheding all the karmas from soul through doing samyakdarshan and tap. No offence to other religions but the theory of one god which created it and can desroy and maintain it, a doubt comes that are we always dependent on god and if he has created then why it is not similar everywhere, if god is maintaining, then why all this calamities, terrorism happens? As per jains, this universe is not created nor sustained by anyone; It is self sustaining and self maintained, without any base or support. It says that God isn't just one, but anyone who follows God's footsteps can become god, even we. God is neither giving rewards nor punishments. Neither god do good to others nor bad to others. God is neutral and he is in a state of divinity (eternal bliss and happiness). Whatever good or bad happen to people is because of their own karmas so that means we all are independent and are responsible ourselves for our actions. There is no god who keeps the accounts or balance sheet of our actions and give rewards/punishments accordingly. We aren't dependent nor we need to impress the god to forgive our mistakes and give rewards for doing prayers and impressing him. What you sow is what u reap is clear theory in jainism. In jainism ideally, prayer isn't (and shouldn't be) done to impress the god and for begging rewards. Prayer should done selflessly just to acknoledge and appreciate the qualities of god.

Neither god created nor he is maintaining the world and this world can never be destroyed. Yes changes will keep taking in the world but it cannot be destroyed. According to Jain doctrine, the universe and its constituents - soul, matter, space, time, and principles of motion have always existed (a static universe similar to that of Epicureanism and steady state cosmological model). All the constituents and actions are governed by universal natural laws. Its principles is very much scientific, because according to the Jain concept of divinity (Godhood), any soul who destroys its karmas and desires, achieves liberation. A soul who destroys all its passions and desires has no desire to interfere in the working of the universe. See " Jainism and non-creationism " from wikipedia.

There is much more to say but I can't write whole here. But when I did research on it I found jainism really makes sense and it made me believe in it. Also one thing I can say that why jainism believes in non-violence and live and let live policy, because as per its theory each and every soul (even if its bacteria's soul) desire happiness, and each and every soul is potentially God, so when you are hurting other living being it means you are hurting one god.

It is just my opinion

6. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Some points in opposition to Non-Creationism nature of god:-

The doctrine that the world was created is ill advised and should be rejected.

If God created the world, where was he before the creation? If you say he was transcendent then and needed no support, where is he now?

How could God have made this world without any raw material? If you say that he made this first, and then the world, you are faced with an endless regression.

If you declare that this raw material arose naturally you fall into another fallacy, For the whole universe might thus have been its own creator, and have arisen quite naturally.

If God created the world by an act of his own will, without any raw material, then it is just his will and nothing else — and who will believe this silly nonsense?

If he is ever perfect and complete, how could the will to create have arisen in him? If, on the other hand, he is not perfect, he could no more create the universe than a potter could.

If he is form-less, action-less and all-embracing, how could he have created the world? Such a soul, devoid of all modality, would have no desire to create anything.

If he is perfect, he does not strive for the three aims of man, so what advantage would he gain by creating the universe?

If you say that he created to no purpose because it was his nature to do so, then God is pointless. If he created in some kind of sport, it was the sport of a foolish child, leading to trouble.

If he created because of the karma of embodied beings [acquired in a previous creation] He is not the Almighty Lord, but subordinate to something else

If out of love for living beings and need of them he made the world, why did he not make creation wholly blissful free from misfortune?

If he were transcendent he would not create, for he would be free: Nor if involved in transmigration, for then he would not be almighty. Thus the doctrine that the world was created by God makes no sense at all,

And God commits great sin in slaying the children whom he himself created. If you say that he slays only to destroy evil beings, why did he create such beings in the first place?

Wise men should combat the believer in divine creation, maddened by an evil doctrine. Know that the world is uncreated, as time itself is, without beginning or end, and is based on the principles, life and rest. Uncreated and indestructible, it endures under the compulsion of its own nature.

From wiki
    ---------

Hey Sally R, sorry for this long description, but I just want to explain that why I believe in god, because god is not something powerful than us and we always need to depend on him or need to impress him, but its about equality, he is not some more powerful than us (I don't say god isn't powerful) but we are equal to god and so is each soul. Look at it this way, two students studying in same class, have same teacher, both are same in terms of family background and both have brains, but one brings first rank and other fails, because one worked hard and other wasted time. one used brains and time while other didn't. So god become god because he worked hard to achieve eternal bliss and divinity, if we follow his footsteps we too can become god.

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Nobody.

Random forces and entities cause all of the above and more (without concern about how the individual is affected) including a beautiful blooming dahlia, whooping cough, and diarrhea.

The closest we have to intelligence and purpose are in humans, disappointing as it may be.

1 person likes this.
  8. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

Hello o.p,

God is very much here....all the time.....watching over each one of us -we don't realise it however. we are so engrossed playing our part in this hectic world.just read ''Inner Peace'' by paramhamsa yogananda-wonderful book-grab it and read it.you'll find the perfect answer .

9. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

God as your friendly therapist...I can definitely see your point of view. Thanks for sharing your views!

10. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

great posting dear ;)