Is there a God?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SallyR, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

My parents and most of my family members are religious...so was I until a while ago. Lately I wonder if God really exist (not an atheist yet). My reason for questioning is the lack of real evidence to support the existence of God. Or is there?

I would like to hear from both believers & non-believers, about your reasons to either believe or not believe in the existence of God.

Please try to respond in a generic way and not mention any specific God or religion if possible.

Thank you!

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Can I request you to please explain 'GOD' as you understand?

3. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

God as the creator, benefactor & judge of living beings.

4. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

GOD exists then as far as living beings exists, for living beings are GOD'S image :)

1 person likes this.
  5. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Thanks Aspire, that's an interesting way of looking at God's existence.

1 person likes this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sally
    I do believe in God fervently and this is my answer….
    I am amazed at the constant low voltage stress we endure as a part of our everyday living, to the sporadic unavoidable crisis…… you and I live in a pressure cooker world; this leaves us drained of all joy and energy. There comes a point when we cannot take anymore of this, it has got so bad that we make it a regular habit to go to a therapist. A process to seek peace and relief from the stress that is ruling our lives.
    Or we run to a friend to vent out our troubles; this friend may one day turn a foe and around the world your secrets will go!
    I go to a friendly therapist's whose name is God. I talk to him every day — several times. And what is great is, he always gives me appointments (never pretends to be busy), he doesn’t charge me anything and through my sessions with him, I have been empowered to live with greater peace and joy than I could have probably imagined possible. My secrets remain secrets and I can take as long as I please ! Language is no barrier, he’s a linguist! He even understands the language of the dumb, deaf and the maimed.
    Mega

9 people like this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The answer to this question is relative and fully based on who answers this. I believe in God. Yes. But, I don't expect God to be doing 'miracles' that I except in my life all along. All I hope is only that, he will equip me to tackle things and definitely will be there for me, if I am not able to. Thanks Sally. -rgs

4 people like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Yes Sally. As long as I experience so many things in this world which are beyond the human imagination let alone human creativity, I have to believe in a God. That is my "proof" for the fact for the existence of God. Can anything less than a God (define HIM/HER how you will) who is capable of such perfection and unfailing accuracy? Look at the seasons, look at the way the universe is designed - the planets, the stars, the unerring accuracy with which the planets go around the sun, be it their orbits, the distance between the orbits, the time taken to complete one full revolution, one rotation ...... Look at the perfection which various biological systems, ecological systems function. How do I question the existence of ONE greater and more powerful than us? Are these any short of miracles? What more proof can I want?

How is it that I ask for something and get it and am happy? Or sometimes it is refused to me and later on I find out that it was best that I did not receive what I asked?

I need no other proof and can't be convinced otherwise.

4 people like this.
  9. lakshmilife

lakshmilife Junior IL'ite

Hi Sally,

I am not sure about the existance of God but what I am sure is that human being look around the whole world and universe with his given senses for us the whole world is in 3 dimension we donot have abilty to see beyond that. If at all there is any more dimension around us we really have no control on it.But the process of thought, feeling of love ,hate all does exist and has no measurable form.It is difficullt to explain the existance of a super energy as we are not capable of knowing its existance.Its like explaining the cockroaches the advace life of human will it ever be able to understand or relate to it,no it never would thats because of its limited capabilities.Same is the case of humans there are many things that is beyond us which we would never ever understand.

10. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I think that we have talked about this before. My answer is no. I am not feeling well at the moment and am too tired to explain further. If you are still interested, let me know and I will follow up.