Third Thread-Ask here the Recipes you want from Chitvish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    I made ragi demitasse but it got too cooked. I soaked the semiya for a minute in water, drained and steamed for 5 minutes in MW. Then seasoned it like aval. It was lumpy. How to make it? We had it at a eatery in Trichy, was good though a little oily.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Last time, months back,when I made it, I just followed the instructions. Now I don't remember. I think 5 min steaming is too high.

3. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

hello chitra madam,
    My son and all my family members love restaurant style veg fried rice. I too tried in different ways. Things go well, but the boiled rice spoils. I tried soaking for 1/2 n hour, boiling for few mins and draining the water, pressure cook etc. But it becomes too soggy (kuzhainthu) or half cooked.
    Pls suggest me the correct procedure, with how much water to add etc. Also can we use any other raw rice than basmati?. Kindy suggest. Thanks in advance.

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

5. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Maami,

Hope you are doing good. Been a long time on this forum since I use the app pretty much everyday.
    Athmika is keeping me busy here. Shiva has put maalai (There is a kovil with 18 steps here ) and we are planning to have ayyappan poojai next weekend.I was planning to make Aravanai payasam for neivedyam. I did a trial attempt last week. It was delicious but had some problems. I hope you can help me so that I make it right on poojai day. I have never eaten/seen aravanai payasam before. so, I dont know what consistency it should be in.

1. Mine was like pongal. How do I get payasam consistency. For 1 cup of rice, should I add 4 cups of jaggery water? I dissolved jaggery in water but it was not 4 cups of jaggery syrup.
    2. The ghee that I added didnt mix well with payasam. After cooling down, the ghee was separate from the rice. What could have gone wrong?

I really hope you can help. I dont want to mess up the neivedyam on poojai day.

Thanks a lot,
    Aswini

6. Chitvish

Dear Aswini, I am so happy that you are using my apps regularly!!:)
    Doubts cleared:
    Yes, the consitency is like pongal only - not loose like payasam.

Add vellam DIRECTLY without dissolving. That is how it should be done. Buy as good a quality as available. The Kolhapuri vellam is very clean & good.

Once you add the vellam, go on adding ghee in small instalments to prevent "catching" at the bottom.Only then the blending will be right.

All the best in your naivedym venture!!

7. ndta26chennai

ndta26chennai Gold IL'ite

pathiya saapadu

can u please send the link for pathiya chapadu.

8. Chitvish

9. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

What went wrong with my Chocolate Cake?

Hi ChitVish,

I baked a chocolate cake for the first time today for Christmas. It turned out quite ok, taste-wise, but I had problems with the cake's crust. When I tried to test the cake with a skewer 25 mins into baking, the skewer left a big hole on the crust. The crust was flaky and thin and easily crumbled. I baked in 2 sandwich tins, and both cakes had the same problem. It was fine after frosting, taste-wise, but the crust was flaky and had a texture of hardened brownie-crust.

I used self-raising flour (1.5 cups), caster sugar(1 cup), half Bertolli (Olive oil spread -3.4 of a stick) and half vegetable oil (1.5 tbsp), melted chocolate in cream (1.5 bars - instead of cocoa powder), 2 large eggs and 2 tsps vanilla extract.

I blended it in a mixie and baked it for 30 mins in an oven pre-heated for 15 mins at 180 C

I am not sure what went wrong in this. Maybe I didn't blend the mixture well. I didn't put baking powder or baking soda because it was self-raising flour and read somewhere that adding more baking powder would leave a bitter taste. Can you also please tell me on the difference between baking powder and baking soda and what purpose it serves? It would be great if you can spot any mistakes in my technique.

Thanks! :)

10. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

Re: What went wrong with my Chocolate Cake?

overbaking might be the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.