Profession: is teaching an ideal job for ladies?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by radhikaraj, Jan 4, 2008.

1. radhikaraj

radhikaraj New IL'ite

Hi, ladies i would like your comments on this topic. Time and again i have heard elders especially ladies saying that teaching is the best profession for women. In one of my relatives marriage, this topic was once again taken up. And it was amazing to see men backing up the idea, saying that this is the only job that leaves a woman some time for her self and her family. Unlike other jobs, it is not time consuming. I really dont agree. What about you? Can you list out the pros and cons of this job so that next time when somebody brings up the topic, i could argue that there are some other good jobs like teaching. looking for your replies, radhika.

2. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Hi radhika,
    I just happen to see this title under new threads ,i opened casually and really surprised to see ur name.How r u by the way??
    A good question and a million dollar question???As every body suggested i too agree that that teaching is a time consuming profession.Yes it is an ideal job for ladies.But at the same time it is not the only ideal job.May be men may agree that it suits mostly for ladies on account of women's various commitments.It is not the question of what job a women can prefer or do?But what job she can choose which balances her family and carrier. She can opt to go any job unless she has no responsibility like imagine looking after her three or four year old kid. At that time definitely she cannot work for a corporate sector which may expect long working hours .Even some women now a days are working but with the support of her in laws .As and otherwise ladies can go in for whatever jobs which she aspires .. For an unmarried women,she can work for an organization which demands long working hours.On the other hand a married woman having a kid can also work for the same organization but she cannot put her full fledged efforts on her job. I am not saying it is completely impossible ,it is also possible but the chances are low. A job which suits a women is based on her circumstances. So it is difficult to judge .Also we cannot speak one way .
    You are right .There are also other jobs which suits ladies like banking,Telephones, working for government organizations etc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  3. radhikaraj

radhikaraj New IL'ite

Hi, Bhargavi, long time- no contacts. i am fine. thanks. how are you? i too agree with you. But does teaching helps a married woman to find time for other things to do and look after her family as well. this has been nagging me for sometime. a friend of mine, though not a teacher says that she envies their profession because it provides them more time for their personal things. But office workers like her has to work till 6, sometimes even late. so i would like to know if teaching is indeed a best profession for ladies especially those who are in nuclear families and have added responsibilities of doing all works at home. my cousin is in I.T. and she says that though people get highly paid, she is bugged with her job, because she could not find time for her personal life. and that she will not be in that field for long. Also she states that most women in that field feel the same. that is why i asked whether teaching profession provides enough time for a person to lead her personal life comfortably. is there any other profession which you could think of?

4. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

:hatsoffHi Radhika
    A good poser. I for one don’t agree that teaching is a cushy job and so it is suitable for women. I have been a teacher for years together. It is not easy as the others think.
    Jobs like the software professions are the ones suited for ladies. A teacher cannot take leave as and when she pleases or when there is an emergency at home. Yes the men will say,” you take leave. I can’t take leave today as I have an important meeting.”
    It is also not true that the teacher gets leave whenever the children have a holiday. Now a days all schools demand that the teachers be present in school even if it a declared holiday for the children due to rain or some other unprecedented holiday. We have only 30 days leave in summer. (Just as any other profession that has 30 days earned leave a year).
    Even on Second Saturdays when all (at least most ) companies and Govt. offices are closed, the teachers have to come to school because that is the only time a parent teachers meet can be arranged. “Working parents will be free on that day.”
    What about the take home work of corrections and exam paper setting, evaluation etc.?
    I have sat up to 2 in the mornings setting papers and evaluating them.
    I hope I have given you enough material to argue when you next meet people who say that teaching is THE profession for women. If not ask me and I will give you more to talk on.
    Love
    Lakshmi

5. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Radhika,
    Yes teaching profession efinitely give room for other personal activities.Also women can prefer government jobs which demand only less working hours(i mean atleast we can return home by six).........

6. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Has been considered an ideal profession . No more it attracts quality. Few years back people at home always thought it is not proper for a girl to mingle with men in the working place. I don't like such assumptions. Meanwhile to give them some security they were allowed to enter into this profession. Soon after graduation the next step was to take admission in some B.ed college.

Personally I don't like such attitudes. I enjoy mingling with men within limits and work in areas which will give satisfaction. My daughter likes my teaching and my lectures have been appreciated by MLIS students. But I don't like that profession due to various reasons.

As such people in this discipline in the presnt day context do not update themselves. Secondly it had become acceptable to ladies due to vacations. Tution is another attraction. Men also prefer wives to be in this profession. They call it noble profession. But it is noble only for ladies. I find this community is not able to grow the way one expects. Once a teacher a teacher for ever.

I have seen teachers trashing the same notes for years together. They are not open for new ideas. Very few make an attempt to grow intellectually.

Althogh some have calbre majority fall into the same rut.

Moreover this job has no more security. Wih appointments on contract basis people lack enthusiasam. kanaka:idea