1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby suffering from cough

Discussion in 'Infants' started by smithamd, Nov 4, 2010.

1. smithamd

smithamd New IL'ite

Hi,
    My 8 month old has caught a cold on our trip back from India. He has runny nose and cough. He does not cough a lot but when he does I can hear a lot of phlegm sound. As adults we can spit that out but not sure of what to do in case of babies. Also he makes some noises as if his throat is hurting. Showed him to ped and she said that chest is clear , so not sure why I still hear the phlegm sound. They do not give any medications for cough. Is there anything I can do to help him get better fast. Now it is more than a week that he got this.

Also though he has cold his head sweats a lot. So I am never sure how to dress him up. Please help. It hurts to see him suffer :cry:.

2. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

For runny nose - Saline drops and bulb suction!!!

If you still have the blue bulb suction thing they give you when you leave the hospital...use that. It works!! Put couple of saline drops (We use non medicated Little Noses saline drops) in each of the nostrils. Wait for a minute or two and use the bulb suction.

I wouldn't worry too mcuh about the cough if the doctor says that the lungs are clear. Coughing is the body's natural way of protecting the lungs!

Also check the humidity levels in the house. Running a humidfier helps. Especially when you turn on the heat during winter. It makes the air quite dry. I hope its not yet too cold in AZ for turning on the heater.

Hope your LO feels better soon.

K

3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

1. Use an humdifier. Keep it on all night in the bedroom. Some humidifiers you can also place vicks on it.
    2. Applying very little vicks on the chest helps too.
    3. Check his temperature just to make sure he doesnot have a slight fever (because you mentioned sweating). If he does have a fever contact doctor.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. desertdiva

desertdiva Junior IL'ite

dont worry dear. chek out theards for cough/cold remedies. it really helps

5. jojupi01

jojupi01 New IL'ite

Hi my daughter just turned one year and was also suffering from cold and cough for the past 18days. Last week i took her to the doctor and they prescribed her some antibiotics but in your case you cannot give your baby anything.

"He does not cough a lot but when he does I can hear a lot of phlegm sound. As adults we can spit that out but not sure of what to do in case of babies."
    Do not worry about this, my daughter also had the same problem when i asked the doctor they told me babies always find a way to breath around it. Like Kamala said try to put some saline drops in her nose and try to pump it out especially before feeding and sleep time.

The doctor told me it takes around 2-3weeks for the cold and cough to stop if it takes more than that then they need to be seen by their doctor.

I was asked to do the following:

1. Humidifier like ars and kamala suggested
    2. Steam bath.Close your bathroom and run a very hot shower. Take your baby and sit with her in the bathroom not in the water for 15mins(One night my daughter cried for 2 hours me and husband did not know what to do we tried everything and at one point i just took her to the bathroom turned on the hot shower and sat there for nearly 20mins and at last she feel asleep)
    3. Keep her hydrated and try to give her solid food a little bit watery
    4. Put little vicks on her chest
    Its normal for a baby to fall sick then only they will develop resistance. I totally understand. Do not worry your baby will be fine soon. Take care.

6. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I found this info on the net. Please see if it helps you prevent / cure some of these cough/cold problems. Please note that I have NOT tried these..

Tips to Keep Your Kids Cold and Flu Free This Year…
    1. Avoid refined sugar, sugary drinks (this includes fruit juices,unless juiced at home with organic fruits and veggies, the emphasis on VEGGIES) candies and soda. Cut back on the intake of processed foods, eat as much whole food as possible. DO NOT eat artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. These depress the immune system, causing children to become more susceptible to catching a cold or flu.
    2. Have them take extra vitamin c and d, this helps to support the immune system. Echinacea is also effective, however be sure to find a glycerin based formula specifically for kids.
    3. Homeopathy is highly effective as well. One of the best resources around is a book called “Your Vital Child” by Dr’s Mark and Angela Stengler, both Naturopathic Doctors based out of San Diego, California. I use this book often as a reference to whatever ails my kids.
    4. Here’s a recipe for an All-Natural Antibiotic Tonic filled with herbs shown to have antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitical properties:

<DL style="WIDTH: 250px" class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>[​IMG]<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Photographer: Carlos Porto</DD></DL>

Here’s the Recipe for Your Own “Natural Antibiotic Tonic”:

• 1 part fresh chopped garlic
      • 1 part fresh chopped Onion (white is preferred)
      • 1 part fresh grated Ginger Root
      • 1 part fresh grated Horseradish Root
      • 1 part fresh chopped Cayenne Peppers or jalapeño peppers.
      • Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg’s Raw is the best choice)
    Fill a glass jar 3/4 of the way full with equal parts by volume of the above fresh chopped and grated herbs. Then fill jar to the top with raw apple cider vinegar. Close and shake vigorously
    Shake at least once a day for two weeks, and then filter the mixture through a clean piece of cloth, and store it in glass bottles. Make sure that when you make this tonic that you shake it every time you walk by it, a minimum of once per day. Remember that all the herbs and vegetables should be fresh (and organically grown if possible). You can use dried herbs, however only in an emergency.
    This tonic is extremely powerful because all the ingredients are fresh, so the active ingredients in these herbs are more active.
    The dosage is 1 or 2 ounces, two or more times daily.
    Swish and swallow. (Don’t dilute with water.)
    For ordinary infections, a dose taken 5-6 times a day will deal with most conditions. It can be used during pregnancies, is safe for children (use smaller doses) and as a food it is completely non-toxic.
    Go ahead and make a large batch because it does not need refrigeration and it lasts indefinitely without any special storage conditions. I would like to thank The Healthy Herbalist for posting his tonic recipe and keeping us healthy all year long!
    I have made this in much smaller batches for my family, if it is too strong for the kids you can always add a small drop of liquid stevia or raw honey to make it easier for them to swallow. Please note that honey is not recommended for children under one year of age.

Courtesey: Parentingclub.com

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi

Can anyone tell me where to buy horseradish root in bay area? I need it for my sinusitis.

Thank you
    Indu

8. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

hi for cough the best and easy remedy is honey.. it has the main ingredient that make all cough syrups.. just 1 spoon in 1 glass of milk in the night is enough. This can be a regular practice too. i find Lion honey very good.

for cold : however small the baby is, u can give this.. take 10 tulsi leaves, 2-3 pepper, 3-4 leaves of karpura valli plant, pinch of turmeric and 1/4 spoon cumin seeds. boil it in 1 glass of water. simmer and leave it for some time, till the water reduces to 1/4 glass. for children of age more than 4 years, this can be divided and given twice or thrice a day. Just for 1 day. For younger children split the quantity for 2 or 3 days. you can dilute if for younger ones. incase, u dont get karpura valli leaf, u may skip it. this will even clear terrible chest congestion... even adults can take it, but the whole qty at one strech.

9. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

dear indumathy,

for sinusitis, the best remedy is a doctor.. dont waste time in all this.. check if there is any allergy which triggers your siusitis. u may be asked to take a scan and a surgery also may be prescribed. i had it and was trying to do every possible painless treatment for 1 year. finally it became terrible and i had to do the surgery.. now i am very fine.. sinus is very sensitive and can be triggered by various things.. please dont look for temporary relief.. telling u as yr well wisher..