1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What is the ideal Lunch box for the teens at school in non-Indian country?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by InnerBliss, Dec 2, 2011.

1. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Hey...Once again, I have a question on food.

I live in one suburb of Australia. My 14 years old son's friends bring bread based things at school. They put some meat slices, some salad, and sauce between the bread and I feel, it should be surely the nutritious lunch pack for them.

As we are vegetarian, my son is not happy taking anything other than the bread and jam at school. Few years ago, when I used to give the poha-batata, sprouts, aloo/palak paratha, dhokla, aloo sandwich, etc., the other kids used to tease him. Now he is a grown up boy. His friends are also grown up. I dont think that he would be teased any more but that earlier teasing has stopped him from taking anything at school except Jam sandwich. It has been over 5 years now. I am now thinking that about the options if you can suggest for something that is vegetarian and also healthy? Which can maintain in the Sydney temperature and does not get soggy.

I would appreciate if you can share your experiments on School Lunch food.

Cheers :)

2. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi InnerBliss,
    Why don't you try a vegetable sandwich/burger instead of simply bread & jam. Vegetable sandwich with some lettuce, carrot, tomatoes/cucumber and mayonnaise tastes good and kids generally like it.
    You can also try vegetable cutlet.
    You can prepare vegetable pizza at home with readymade pizza base that we get in stores. Make sure you add more veggies and don't give it more frequently as it will be containing more cheese which is not good for health in the long run.
    You can try this eggless french toast from this link. You can also find few more recipes using bread.
    EGGLESS FRENCH TOAST | EASY BREAD RECIPES ~ Rak's Kitchen
    You can try noodles/pasta including more veggies in it.
    Fruits & milkshakes go well as side dishes along with lunch.

Hope this helps you to some extent.

Regards,
    Latha.

2 people like this.
  3. bhavgos

bhavgos New IL'ite

chatni sandwich with paneer....

1 person likes this.
  4. SocalMommy

SocalMommy Senior IL'ite

Packing lunch for school is a daily creative challenge that every mother has to face especially, in a foreign country. I have a 5 yr old daughter who just started kindergarten, so I am pretty new to the school lunch packing scenario. The lunches that we used to take as kids just don't go too well with our peer pressured kids. So here is my take on school lunches keeping vegetarianism in mind. Hope it helps.

1. Pasta noodles with cherry tomatoes, onions, sliced olives, diced cucumbers and a lemon, vinegar, oil dressing
    2. Cheese sandwich
    3. Palak/aloo paratha cut in triangles like a pizza with some yogurt for dipping. Kids like dipping stuff
    4. The sandwiches that school kids get has a meat slice, a cheese slice, lettuce, tomato and mayonaise. You can substitute the meat with a veggie patty. Similar to what vchelluri suggested above
    5. All kinds of salads. You can give your 14 yr old all cut vegetables to assemble at school along with some ranch or his favorite dressing
    6. You can include a fruit, some granola or trail mix (almonds, cashews, raisins etc) for a snack
    7. Put a vgetable mixture on a regular paratha/chapathi and roll it up by closing one side and keeping the other side open so its easy to handle
    8. You can also make dosas, roll them up and give chutney in a separate container

Also, buy the lunch box from a local store. They usually carry the lunch boxes with the child's favorite character. I'm not sure what a 14 yr old is into but I'm sure you can ask your kid. And different containers for sauces, chutneys, fruits etc. are a sure hit.

Have fun lunch packing.
    Cheers!
    Hajira-SocalMommy

3 people like this.
  5. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

1)you can make veg pasta with pesto or pasta sauce. pesto is available in different varieties like tomato, basil and artichoke with lemon.

2)peanut butter and jelly sandwich,

3)noodles with vegitables.

usually i pack the lunch with one main item like pasta or sandwich, store bought yogurt, fruit and juice like orange or apple juice. sometimes i put protein bar instead of yogurt.

2 people like this.
  6. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much Lathaji, SocalMommy, Bhavgos and Narra. I am indeed very rich now with great Lunch pack ideas. Thanks once again :)

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

dosa will stay good for lunch if you roll? Used to stuff for paratas, nowadays, my kids dont like it except for aloo parata. So just like available in Indian stores, cook say gobi with necessary spices and salt, mix with flour and make rotis. Also, my daughter has started saying not to cut any paratas, instead make them small!!(how many instructions??). Soon all NRI mommies will be opening their own restaurants for sure!!

At the worst case Innerbliss, you can stuff our regular cooked veggies in the bread as bread sandwich, let him have a good healthy b.fast like dosa or idly or paratas with milk in the morning, rice or just a big bowl of curry/sabji after he comes from school in the a.noon and again, some tiffin/rice for dinner. This is what my friend does as her daughter is little fuzzy in taking our Indian food to school.