PhD in Psychology in USA

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by tweetyme, Nov 16, 2011.

1. tweetyme

tweetyme New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am a Btech graduate and have around 7 years experience in IT/Banking sector.We are planning to relocate to USA this year .As it may not be possible for me to get a job in the same field with my skills in the area we plan to reside, am considering applying for a PhD in Psychology. I would like to know more about :

1. Admission into a good college- Does anyone who has not done undergraduate course in Psych mange to get into PhD program? The college websites say that undergraduate course in psych is not required but they also say that research and project experience play a vital role in admission process.

2. what are the employment opportunities after completing PhD

Any thoughts, ideas, inputs are highly appreciated!

2. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi tweety,

i dont know much about admission procedures in USA but in asian countries we require a graduate and postgraduate degree as psychology as ur major. ( as psychology has direct practicals with subjects in their final year graduations and in both the years of PG that undergoes research and statistics with a through project for each 6 sub.) before getting into phd its better u get full and perfect information about the subject as they divide it into clinical and industrial psy. and get urself registered under a college or university professor who atleast have worked on it for more than 5years

3. tweetyme

tweetyme New IL'ite

Thanks Navis!Some of the very good institutes in US are not offering MS programs.They directly enroll graduates for doctoral programs, and some get their Masters along the way. As you said, I need to have a strong foundation before applying for phD directly. Will do some more research on this. Thanks again!