1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Indian kids don't like to eat while American kids LOVE to eat???

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Quest95119, Sep 23, 2011.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Also, Indian moms are far more attached to their child than American moms. American moms would NOT have the patience and the love to spend more than 30 minutes per meal. No American mom would have the patience to spend 3 hours per meal feeding their kid. They would rather do their nails, talk on the phone, or surf the internet than follow their kids around the house distracting them and feeding them.

:shock:

2. Quest95119

Quest95119 New IL'ite

okay- some bad attempt at satire- don't take it too literally.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

"Also, Indian moms are far more attached to their child than American moms. American moms would NOT have the patience and the love to spend more than 30 minutes per meal. No American mom would have the patience to spend 3 hours per meal feeding their kid. They would rather do their nails, talk on the phone, or surf the internet than follow their kids around the house distracting them and feeding them."

Same reaction as Tashidelek's! :shock: and :frown:!

4. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

yes,we indians try to feed the food at any cost adn try all means..we never leave them saying ok may be he is not hungry or so..we try to dump the food to the kid.and we keep on giving them something or the other at regular intervals.because of this they dont know basically what hunger is..

1 person likes this.
  5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I am sorry to say this but looks like your doctor nailed down on some points but seems to be totally ignorant on the others and seems to be giving total wrong information to you and possibly other moms!!

Agree with the cultural aspect...

I think it's more cultural then genetic...I don't understand how genes play a role in food habits!!! Culture...Definitely yes... We Indians always want out kids to be chubby and fair. So we think that feeding constantly or over feeding will make them chubby...I have seen so many moms complain that their child is not chubby....So the over feeding thing starts when the kids are very young...IF a child refuses to eat certain food, our immediate action would be to offer some thing else...If they refuse even that then offer some thing else....We usually don't put our foot down and ask our child to eat what is offered...So the main problem lies in our parenting styles....

That being said, I don't force feed my child everyday...I do it once in a while when I feel that he has gone without eating much for couple of days...And I don't give in trying to offer different types of food at one meal..If he refuses to eat I may be try for 15-20 mins...If he still doesn't want to eat then I let go..This doesn't mean that my 2 year old son is a perfect eater...No...not at all..But I have observed that if I let him be and let him decide when to eat he eats better...

My son went to day care until last month. I had to pull him out because of health issues...But when he went he used to eat on his own and also eat foods which he never eats at home..

Changing a law is not that easy...And Americans don't believe in force feedings.. How can it be proven that food habits are genetic?? Has any research been done? Do you have a back up in your theory???

Every child is different....As my son's Ped says "No child will go hungry. They will eat when they are hungry"...
    Of course there might be some underlying medical issues with the child if he/she refuses to eat anything at all...

Just my 2 cents!!!

2 people like this.
  6. 999rsp

999rsp Junior IL'ite

I guess it is true that Indian moms feed their kids and have a clean home than allow a child to eat on his own and mess things up. I am not making judgements, I am one among them. I wud feed my child the said quantity on my own rather than allowing DS to eat independently and b hungry.

Roopa.

7. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

i think its not genetic & more of parenting behaviour..

i dont force feed my DS, & most of the meal i let him eat on his own (12m old) he tends to eat more if he feeds himself.. YES ITS A BIG MESS.. but its ok to take 1m to clean it up afterwards.. he feels so happy feeding himself. & he DEMANDS food when he is hungry.. yells on the top of his lungs:thumbsup

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

i do hope it's only a genetic disposition:( because i've never fed/force-fed my children. i have allowed them to feel, mess around when they were infants. thinking of it my children (6yr old and 3 yr old) ate pretty well when they were babies. the resistance and stubbornness hit us suddenly around 2.5-3 yrs of age. with my first born it drove me insane. with my 2nd one i'm a bit calmed down. in the sense i don't yell and scream at her if she decides not to eat sometimes. even now my son does not like to eat vegetables (we're vegetarians). the more i tried to sneak in the worse it became. so i'm now on a neutral platform trying to make a fair agreement. i think it's a very cultural thing as well. i've seen many of my friends deciding how much their child will eat. there are teary arguments, threats that makes the whole eating process a misery for everyone involved. in Germany i have observed that a 5-6 yr old decides what he/she'd like to order from a menu. i rarely see an indian parent allowing that.

2 people like this.
  9. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

My mom used to force feed me till I was 17yr... I'm very serious she tried her best to make us puton weight, me n my sibling are genetically thin, I started to hate food.... I only put on weight after my son's birth, on my peads advise I'm doing the same..my son feeds him self he is 14mnts now, off course he dipped a bit in weight but I let him eat on his own without any force or push him till he finishes the bowl.which has its pros n cons but he is very independent... He opens he fridge n takes a juice box or a yorgut pot n brings it to me (this gen kids r so sharp surprises me so much)

1 person likes this.
  10. Quest95119

Quest95119 New IL'ite

I am now 100 percent convinced the reason for the differences is 100 percent cultural and 0 percent genetic.

Now.......What at the reasons that the majority of today's Indian moms feel the need to get as much food into their kid as possible at any costs? How did Indian culture evolve this way? Why is it that some Indian moms change after coming to the U.S. (Although it is a small minority) and allow the kid to feed themselves and are okay if they don't finish their food?

ARE the moms who do allow their kid control over food more westernized in other aspects as well? For example, do you socialize with non Indians outside of work? Do you prefer western culture over Indian culture?