1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sights and Sounds of a morning

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kottravai, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Sights and Sounds of a morning!

Mornings! They are Mother Nature’s very own way of saying that another new day has begun, another 24 hours for humans and varied calculations (for I don’t know how insects’ or birds’ or donkeys’ or cows’ days are calculated) for all other living beings, to live. Every day is a new beginning. And the way the day dawns on us is a wonderful spectacle to behold.

I used to be a morning person while at school for obvious reasons :). I used to wake up at 4 AM to study for a couple of hours until I get ready to go to school. Many a time I have witnessed the purplish scattering of dawn give way to a pinkish glow brightening to a golden new day. But all that seems eons past. As a result of innumerous days, or rather, nights, spent chatting in my varsity hostel days, I have lost the art of waking up at 4 AM. I’m quite ashamed to share the hour I wake up these days, suffice to say that I miss the purple to pink transition.

Today, as I woke up and went for my morning walk, I sensed a change… yes, seasons are changing, and the smallest semblances of this can be found in the mornings, even in a hot and humid place like Chennai. Its only late September, and already I could see mist enshrouding most of the high-rise buildings I see from my terrace. The veil of mist hung over even the trees around and seemed to lull the birds to sleep in their nests for some more time, until the sun dared to wake up and touch every living thing with its golden rays.

As I continued walking, I casually glanced at the eastern sky, and there it was – a dull red orb, not yet fully formed, hidden partially by the engulfing mists all around. Gradually, within a span of 10 minutes, I saw the dull red partial-orb become a slightly redder, albeit a complete orb, all the while rising above. Slowly I could hear the parrots screech their wake-up calls, the crows cawing in their search of food, the pigeons still reluctant to wake up.

Then started the sounds of our human life, the sound of a mixie to make yet another breakfast chutney, the sizzling of mustard in tadka, the hum of the A/C, the sound of a shower. And the inevitable sound of early morning traffic – lorries, share-autos and buses. As I looked down from my terrace, I could see the steam wafting from the road-side tea shop across the street, which was doing a pretty good business even then.

Mornings never cease to amaze me. Every time, I feel as if the stains of the previous day have been washed away and the place is left clean for us to start afresh another time. I feel serene as I look at the trees, the fresh grass, the fresh flowers, the un-congested roads, a slightly less polluted atmosphere. Today, I had the additional joy of seeing everything through a thin, lifting veil of mist. As I travelled on to work, I saw the usual railway station pass by me under this veil, which made even a mundane thing as the railway track seem enticing. That somehow jogged my memory and brought back my childhood days, where I used to long for a trip on a train – to enjoy the passing fields, lush and green in the morning sun, the birds pecking on the grains, and the occasional temple gopuram which could be seen amidst the fields and finally a Champak or Poonthalir in my hand to keep me occupied when none of these were to be seen.

As I neared my destination, the peak hour traffic started to pick up and it was getting more crowded. As I walked on to my workplace under the still young Sun, I felt that the mists of the early morning accompany me, to finally trickle down as dew in this post.

15 people like this.

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

I could vizualise your statement...lovely write up about the "Sight and Sound of The Morning"!

Nothing to beat Mother Nature.

3. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Nicely written. I am also a fan of early mornings. Enjoyed your post

4. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Enjoyed your write up Kottravai! the lovely morning beauty is the gift of mother nature to us...the unpolluted atmosphere, the chillness in the air, and the fresh start of a brand new day indeed have to be experienced!

5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kottravai,

Mornings never cease to amaze me. Every time, I feel as if the stains of the previous day have been washed away and the place is left clean for us to start afresh another time.- Beautiful lines!!!!:thumbsup

Today, I had the additional joy of seeing everything through a thin, lifting veil of mist.
    As I travelled on to work, I saw the usual railway station pass by me under this veil, which made even a mundane thing as the railway track seem enticing. That somehow jogged my memory and brought back my childhood days, where I used to long for a trip on a train – to enjoy the passing fields, lush and green in the morning sun, the birds pecking on the grains, and the occasional temple gopuram which could be seen amidst the fields and finally a Champak or Poonthalir in my hand to keep me occupied when none of these were to be seen.
    ....Superb!!!!:)

As I neared my destination, the peak hour traffic started to pick up and it was getting more crowded. As I walked on to my workplace under the still young Sun, I felt that the mists of the early morning accompany me, to finally trickle down as dew in this post.....Very brilliant......what command over the language.....:hatsoff.!!!! smart choice of words!!!!!:clap

Completely enjoyed reading your article and felt refreshed.......the effect of mist.......one of God's wonderful ways to beautify the earth......nicely captured by you in this article.......:thumbsup:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

loved your post. These days its getting cold and everything seems so magical here :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kottravai
    The few minutes before the Sun peeps out reluctantly from his overnight underworld sojourn are the best moments of the day. The Sun being nervous about the barrage of questions that he may have to face about his nocturnal activity is red in the face and shorn of all his heat and verve. This is about the only time that we can face him with wide open eyes and drink his beauty. Anyone who misses this golden moment misses the whole day. The dawn of a new day brings out the poet even in the most prosaic of a person. It is hardly surprising that a person like Kottravai who is gifted with glorious English can move all our hearts with this exquisite presentation on the dawn of a day.

You are absolutely right that mornings are Mother Nature’s way of saying that another day has begun. She does it so beautifully unlike the jarring alarm pieces that we employ to make the same announcement. Alarm pieces get most deservedly slapped when they try to wake us up with their hideous noise but Mother Nature’s disarming charm takes us to a different world altogether. The pretty spectacle of a dawning day lasts for a very short while but its effect lingers in our minds much longer. The dusk which heralds the arrival of the night is equally awesome but the difference between the dawn and the dusk is the same as between life and death. Both are fascinatingly sublime but my choice is for the dawn that stirs all of us into life from a figurative death. It is an irony that I should be saying this standing in the evening of my life waiting for the dusk to unfold the glory of the night. This is the time for me to unravel the mystery of the night!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  8. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

hi kottravai
    Wonderful writeup abt ur love for nature.... Nothing can equal nature... Njoyed ur post!

9. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Indeed a very nice write up dear.. :)
    I can literally see your love for nature in this..!!
    Thanks so much for sharing this.. :)

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kottravai,

This is the most beautiful description of the hours of dawn that I have read in a while. Not being a morning person myself - never was - I have not been witness to too many of these scenes. But the occasional times that I did witness it, lead me to agree with you whole-heartedly. For me the best part of the early morning is the chirping of the birds waking each other and the rest of creation up to a new day, a new way. That is how I remember the early mornings in my summer holidays, when I used to wake up and lie in bed next to the window on summer mornings - enjoying the cool, fresh morning breeze, looking for a cool spot on the bed and listening to the birds.

Looking forward to more such write-ups from you kottravai. :)

3 people like this.