1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Philadelphia Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Philadelphia' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please click "Post Reply" button below to introduce yourself. Please be as detailed as possible. Some of the things that you might include in your introductions are:
    • Information about your family - parents, husband, children etc.
    • Where are you from and where do you currently live
    • Your education, job etc.
    • Your upbringing and your life so far
    • Your hobbies and interests
    • Your likes and dislikes
    • What you like about Indusladies community
    Please see below for some sample introductions.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=21
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=34

Happy sharing!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello from me:)

Dear friends, in and around Philadelphia,

Let me follow Chitra's suit and post here as the first to start the ball rolling:)
    Strictly speaking, I am not a Philadelphian as I do not live in Philly although I gave its name as my City while registering for IL. We live in the State of New Jersey just on the other side of the bridge from Philly, about twenty minutes drive from the heart of this City. The NJ dwellers know that we are all in small towns spread across the state and relate to the closest big city.
    I still have to grow roots here as you all know that we have been rolling stones and have arrived in the US from Germany exactly three years ago this November! Hence, it is all the more interesting and important for me to gather info about the area I live in. For eg, the recent query about the best veggie burger...I have no idea as I do not like any I have found or eaten here so far! I still miss the yummy ones from Germany. In Germany, even the regular McDonalds serve a very tasty and sumptous veggie burger which do not exist in the branches here!!??
    So friends, hope you will gather here and add your inputs from which we may all profit.

L, Kamla

3. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamla,
    It is nice to know abt u,i live in central nj. I too came here 4 yrs ago in october.
    Would like to know abt traveling and visiting germany, we will travel via frankfurt and thinkingof taking a break there. how many days do we need, what are the good places to visit and things not to be missed.
    Thanks

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello Priya..

Nice to know you. So you maybe living close to Edison..if so, you may feel like you are in India!?
    I cannot say how long you need to travel around in Germany as there is a lot to see in Germany and distances need to be covered. But if your stop over is at Frankfurt, the best bet is to cover the area around it. Frankfurt lies on Main and the Rhine-Main river banks are all worthy seeing. They are wine growing land and the scenario is simply beautiful. Frankfurt in itself is also very interesting for its art galleries and museums. The wine growing regions of Rheingau, Ruedesheim, Heidelburg are all worth visitng with an old world charm. It is most enjoyable in summer season. Please get all the info in advance so you can plan a good trip. Have fun:)

L, Kamla

5. bhavana17280

bhavana17280 New IL'ite

hi to all

I am Bhavana Mahajan from Collegeville area of PA. It arouund 45 min drive from Philly . I came to USA on 1-jan-07 just after got married to my handsome, loving, caring husband. Basically ,I m from Amritsar, Punjab,India. I m from Punjabi family. There is lot to learn yet as i m new to this country. I have not so many known friends here. so i m looking ahead to make new friends. i hope indusladies will help me in settle down here.

I m an IT professional. I did my M-tech , MSc, BCA from Amritsar. I did my polytechnic diploma in Electronic from Amritsar too. I taught in College, school, computer center.

As far the family is concern , i m alone here with my husband. My in-laws and my parents all r back in India. My husband is scientists in GSK company in King of Prussia. I m on h4 visa so i can't do job. That is y, now the days i m just house wife.

I am an vegetarian and love to cook, not only traditional dishes but also to experiment with new recipes in Indian and International cuisine.

thats brief introduction about

looking forward to be an active member

bye

have a gud day to all :wave

6. Desi

Desi New IL'ite

Hi,
    I was just browsing through to see if I could find some information on Malvern,PA.
    We are currently in Cary and are planning to move to Malvern in a month or two.

I would appreciate if any of the members are from this place and would provide me with some information on the best elementary school for my first grader and about the best areas in Malvern to live.

Thanks
    Desi

7. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Desi,

I live just 8 miles away from Malvern, PA. Malvern has a very good school district (Great Valley school district). It has very good apartment complexes, and quite expensive and nice looking homes.

I used to work for Siemens and Wyeth Pharma in Malvern. There are other good companies like Vanguard, Mckennson, Eclipsys and Siemens in the Great Valley corporate center. There are 4-5 Indian restaurants and Indian grocery stores in the same Rt 401/Rt29/Rt 30/Rt 202 grid.

Let me know if you need any more specific information.

Good Luck with your move.

8. vaidehi.sa

vaidehi.sa New IL'ite

hi pliadelphia ladies,

i am vaidehi.sa. actually i am in chennai. i am interested in phiadelphia, especially State College, as my son is there. so i would like to know if there are any indian stores, if he will get dosa-idli mavu etc. any indian association, recreation & so on. will be happy if i get some news.
    thanks
    god bless you
    vai

9. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

Is your son admitted in PSU, State college? There are quite a few Indians and Indian stores in the area. Also, it is about 3-4 hours drive to Philadelphia via the PA turnpike. It is well connected by Amtrak. There are quite a few temples and Indian associations in and around Philadelphia area. I am sure your son will feel at home here.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks
    Vidya

10. vaidehi.sa

vaidehi.sa New IL'ite

hi vidya,
    thanks for the info. but i want to know where exactly the indian stores /associations are,if u get dosa idli mave like u get in india, any specific people indians to who may help/guide.
    if u could furnish some of these it will be helpful.
    by the way where u from. i am from chenni
    god bless
    thanks.
    vaidehi