1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth Diapers

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Riyasmommy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Clearance sale at Swaddlebees/Blueberry diapers!

I've given the link in the deals thread here

2. pyariwaseema

pyariwaseema New IL'ite

Ladies i have been researching a lot about cloth diapers and hoping to use it for my second baby due in march2012. I came across SunBaby cloth diapers while researching on internet and there are quiet good reviews about it. you can even check out youtube videos. They are cheap compared to the other cloth diapers available. I am sure this will help a lot of mommies cost wise :)

3. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

hi

I am planing to use cloth diapers. looks like from your views bum genius is good one.
    My baby is 2 month old. please let me know which size shd i order. I mean is there any size according to baby's age. do i need to orde only cloth diapers or liner/ inserts too.

sorry dont have much knowledge about cloth diapers.

i would really appreciate your suggestions.

thanks

4. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Vibhakar, I'll tell you how I used cloth diapers. I started with prefold+cover when my son was 3 weeks old. He was about 8 lb then. I bought one dozen Chinese prefolds from Little Lions in seconds sale (I think I bought infant size for about $12) and they worked very well for me. I used to fold the prefold in an angel wing fold using a Snappi ($3). If you see the link for the angel wing fold, I used the exact same prefold in the same manner, but I held it with a Snappi. Over this, I used Blueberry Coveralls, which are waterproof covers so that the diaper doesn't leak. I bought the covers in a seconds sale along with 4 Blueberry One Size Deluxe Pocket Diapers with Bamboo Inserts. I bought 2 pocket diapers in velcro and 2 in snap buttons. I spent about $11 per cover and $18 per pocket diaper, even though I bought them on sale. I used the prefold-cover system exclusively for the first 3-4 months, and then started using the pocket diapers too. For the night, I used disposable diapers and for the day only cloth diapers.

When my son was about 6 months, I also added 12 Kawaii baby pocket diapers with microfleece inserts ($6.50 each, bought new, directly from seller on Ebay) to my stash. Around the same time, I went to the Middle East for 3 months and used the pocket diapers there. I discontinued using prefolds at that time because my son had become quite mobile and wouldn't wait for me to pin the prefold, using a pocket diaper was easier then. I still use the Blueberry and Kawaii pocket diapers on my now 16-month-old. My son is in the 95 percentile for height, and the diapers all still fit him well. I'm almost certain they will work until he is 24 months old.

You can use prefolds and covers until your baby is 6-8 months old, and then use one size pocket diapers, or you can buy 18-24 pocket diapers and use them right from the start. Pocket diapers are more easy to use than prefolds, because you have to fold the prefold properly and pin it and then put on the cover, which takes some time.

If I had to do it again, I would skip the Blueberry pockets. They are comparatively shorter than Kawaii pockets, so my son is growing out of the Blueberrys faster. And the Blueberrys are costlier than the Kawaii pockets. The Kawaii diapers are sold by seller named mayflowergarden on Ebay and on the website theluvyourbaby.com. They were cheaper on Ebay when I bought them. On the website, shipping is free if you buy 10 diapers or more.

You can also just buy 12 prefolds and 12, 18, or 24 Kawaii pocket diapers. You can use the prefold with a Snappi and then put the Kawaii diaper over it without the microfleece insert, so it will work like a cover. Later, when your baby outgrows the prefolds, you can start using the Kawaii pockets with the insert.

I'm really happy I started cloth diapering. My baby is exposed to less chemicals, we help the environment, and we saved a ton of money along the way!

(Now the Little Lions website is up for sale so they are selling all their stock. You might get some good deals if they have what you want.)

Edited to add - I never used the Bamboo inserts included with the Blueberry pockets. They took too long to dry. I always line-dried all the diapers, never put them in the dryer. Also, the Blueberry velcros fold over and scratch my son's tummy, so I wouldn't recommend the velcro diapers. Snaps are better, and now that he's learned to undo his diapers, he can undo the velcro but not the snaps. I'm glad I bought all my Kawaii diapers in snaps!

5. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

Thank you jyothisri for explaining.
    Thanks a lot

6. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

You're welcome Vibhakar! Ask if you have any more questions, and I'll share what I know.

ETA: If you decide to go for pocket diapers, do compare the dimensions of each brand so that they will last you as long as possible. I compared Blueberry, Bumgenius, Fuzzibunz, and Kawaii baby and found that Kawaii baby is the bigger diaper compared to others. My second choice would be Fuzzibunz. Also, I bought pocket diapers that used microfleece liner and microfiber insert, and they worked very well for me in terms of easy washing and fast line-drying. I never heard of Sunbaby diapers that a previous poster mentioned, maybe they were not released when I was researching diapers. Hope this helps!

Correction in my previous post - Kawaii pockets have microfleece liner and microfiber insert. (Microfiber should never touch the baby's skin because it is very absorbent and can suck the moisture out of baby's skin.)

7. dikshisma

dikshisma New IL'ite

hello ladies,

i dont know whether this is the right place to ask this question or not but i m worried for my 5 months old daughter. she sits up straight but doesnt crawl or roll. more over she yell for everything right from calling to expressing happiness. She even yells so that we help her sit. i m afraid is this normal as she has fallen down head wards 2 times. though i took her to the pediatrician but he said nothing.....plz advice as i live alone w ith my DH and my neighbours are not that friendly.

8. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

Hi Jyotisiri,

Thanks again for your reply.
    i have one more question .

In pocked cloth diapers, after one use, do we need to change only the liner or whole diaper.
    Thanks

9. jrchn

jrchn New IL'ite

BG is available in India. I've ordered one online through Babyoye and using it for the past 4 months. So far its very comfy for my DD.

10. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

jrchn.. can you tell me which pack BG you bought?