1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnostic tools and resources for Learning Disabilities in India.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ilite, Feb 22, 2011.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Vidhya,
    I know this is late but had some ideas for your son's fine motor activities:

1.If you can find small tongs (the kind they use to grab papad frm the oil)...(they should be right size for him)...put some water in a playtic trough and throw in small toys. He has to pick them out using the tongs (wit his fingers not his whole hand).

2. Hide small toys or objects in playdough (or chappathi dough). Ask your son to find all the toys hidden in the playdough.

3. Make greeting cards for every occasion-have him tear different kinds of paper (of varying thickness and texture), teach him to use a little bit of glue (give verbal vues to squeeze the tube gently-children with poor fine motor skills will squeeze too much, too soon), and for the message-alternate between typing the message on the computer and writing by hand-this way he will contnue to practice writing and the typing will be motivating.

4. Cooking acivities are great-if you have both kids help you with those doughy snacks-they can roles out the dough (sweet or salty based on their preference), make a face or any creative shape (don't worry about it being thin or even-the kids wil eat those any which way) and you can fry them in oil (or bake-if it is a biscuit).

1 person likes this.
  2. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the post, Rama. I believe the activities mentioned by you are good for all children to develop their motor skills whether they have LDs or not.

I have been trying to find out about the regulations in India that support students with LD with concessions to get through their education. I'm not sure if parents are aware of these. Here are links to a couple of them that may be useful:
    CBSE Relaxation for Disabled Children
    http://www.disabilityindia.org/LDConcessions.html
    regards,

3. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

An interesting scheme for inclusive education (Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Integrated Education for the Disabled Children) linked below :
    Secondary Education.

Have any of you heard about this scheme.IMO this is a step towards the right direction but what I understand from it is it will benefit the public schools. I'm wondering if there are similar ones to subsize or motivate private schools to follow such initiatives.

regards,
    ilite

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

That is very interesting ilite. Thanks for the info. Will keep my eyes open for any related info.

Coming to diagnosis and intervention, here is something to think about...

I met with parents of a 1st std child who should have been in 3rd std according to her age. She was in an English medium school with additional support from spl. ed teachers after school (private practice). Parents didn't speak English at home. They were trying to decide what was the best option for their child-her language skills and functional ability were at a higher level in her mother tongue. They had heard two sets of information which put them in a quandry.

1) Indian languages are phonetic and hence you can't have SLD if you learned in your mother tongue.

2) The spl. ed teacher said the girl was showing progress because she had started to identify the colors and shapes in English (after 6 months).

Firstly, yes, Indian languages are phonetic which takes care of blending and reading-/c/ /a/ /t/ has to be sounded together to read 'cat.' But there is also an auditory processing and memory piece which require more than the ability to identify and blend sounds. There is a lot of research going on on this aspect but it is seen that even phonetic languages present some level of difficulties.

Secondly, look at your child's morphological age and her functional age. Consider how much a child without a learning disability will learn in 6 months. Evaluate how much progress your child is making in the same time period. Will she be able to bridge the gap or will it get wider? Will she be able to bridge the gap in her mother tongue? Do her English language skills get reinforced by constant usage in and around her home? If not, would it be better for her o learn in her mother tongue. The same level of effort we put into teaching 'English' can be used towards teaching cognitive skills in her mother tongue.

Yes, the ability to read/write and communicate in English is important in today's milieu. But if it is easier for the child to have the ability to think, create and problem solve in another language why not encourage that?

Something to think about...
    r

5. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the post, Rama. For the medium of language issue, I think the solution would be creating job opportunities even if a student did not have English as a medium. Since I have not stayed in India for a while and did not have a opportunity of interacting with someone who chose a national language, it will be interesting to know if they get the same opportunities as opposed to someone who chooses the English medium. Maybe, this is one factor that discourages the parents to give preference to the child's comfort while choosing the medium of education.

Even if the parents choose English as the medium, I think they should be made aware about the assitive technology available and the role they can play in the child's life. Recently , I attended a workshop on assistive technolody using everyday tools we have at home. Will write more on that as a separate post.

regards,