Regional language on indusladies

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by parvathi1980, Sep 10, 2011.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

This is not the appropriate place to post this so the moderators can move it...long time back I got a message from the moderator that I should not use short forms commonly used on the internet as a lot of senior members do not understand...what I do not understand is then why is the usage of languages other than English allowed? I am seeing a lot of post titles in Tamil(am not sure if it is Tamil) and of course there is no translation for people who do not understand the language. Why the bias???:bonk

2. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Re: language on indusladies

Dear Parvathy,
    I think you would get the proper answer from the moderators/admin.

As far as my understanding goes, the regional language are encouraged for the chit-chat and regional forums/threads. However, the general discussions and the topics which are for interest of many people, English is the language for exchanging our views. However, at times, the ILites forget the guidelines and post in their mother-tongue. But I have noticed, in such cases, these ILites are reminded of the rules of this forum.

Yeah, at times, I also feel sad that I can not follow the scripts and hence the essence of some of the threads/posts. But I guess, that is unavoidable, when we have such a vast number of members from different cultural and regional background!

3. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Thanks for posting a very valid concern Parvathi. It'd be good to be as inclusive as we can on IL!
    Moderators sometimes don't speak all regional languages either, and frequently ask members to post in English or give a translation that can be added, if its just a line or two of the regional language (I understand that sometimes nothing beats the flavor of the regional language, in that case, to give a loose translation?), so the post/thread stays inclusive and everyone can participate.

Please don't hesitate to report posts to bring them to our notice (use the icon on bottom left) if you see a post in a regional language in forums beside ones designated for it. All of us need to work on it together, especially in sub-forums where the frequency and volume of posts is relatively high. We all can work together to keep IL as inclusive as we can!

Again, thanks for your initiative with raising your concern about it, and taking the time to post about it!

4. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

I was actually waiting for this topic to be open by someone since i don't know to whom i should talk about this and where. luckily you opened one.

first of all to say posting in regional languages is not a crime i hope next to english, tamil is the most used language here and tamil people all over the world are even blessed and happy to see them.

these are the only source for them to get interacted to their mother tongue and their people.

most of the people in IL just entered into the website for downloading Rc novels. Even myself entered here for downloading them then later entered into the poems spot and then came across the other forums and gathered many useful information and shared some too.

we tamil people also long for entertainments and we even need them. not everyone are interested in english. i am not very strong in it but in my mother tongue (tamil) i am in the extreme opposite. i write novels in tamil. wanted to share them to tamil people all over the world and people also like to read them. so having separate sub forums for english and regional languages is actually a good idea that you can go and enjoy the one you actually need and we go for what we like. an option always makes people to choose what they need.

according to me IL was so eco friendly when i entered here (2 years back) but now i don't find much space here. my activities have been reduced and made me to move to other webiste where tamil is recognized because of two reasons.
    1. no much recognition for tamil here. (no nominations for any contest not even we have a separate one, i understand that if we ask such nominations for tamil then other regional language people also will ask for it but IL admin may consider if the particular language is extensively used. i don't see any other regional language other than tamil is active) all our happiness are the sweet comments and hearty wishes that we receive from the fellow Ilites.

2. we are not free even in regional language section.

(not in all regional section but in the sub forum books and authors of regional languages . where we share a tamil book and we discuss about it. just love to talk and discuss in our language but even the discussions are not allowed in tamil.) i share a story of mine which is in tamil then people reading them and dropping there comments will also like to do the same in tamil which is not allowed there.

we are not disturbing or entering into the forums active only in english atleast the IL admin considers this small request for all tamil book lovers.

we don't even need nominations all that for tamil just make us free to communicate and discuss about tamil books in tamil in the sub forum books and authors in regional languages of book lovers spot.:bowdown:bowdown

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Parvathi, your concern is very valid. We come across many posts where we miss the gist of the conversation because the post or parts of it is in regional language.

One way of addressing this is to post a reply in the thread asking OP for a translation. Other is to report the post, so that the forum mod can address the issue.

6. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the response:) ...I think translation should be made compulsory where any language other than English is being used... Hindi or Tamil or any regional language...all women on this site are able to express themselves in English so this shud not be difficult.

7. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Yamini,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us.

Obviously, you know the reason why we do not have a nomination or contest for regional languages. And unity is the key to the success of IL. We do not want to bring in separation among members based on languages or religions here.

As an active participant in Book Lovers forum you would have known the things happened there. In the beginning we didn’t have any specific rules or restrictions for the book lovers forum. But what happenend there? Some of the threads turned out to be a chit-chat corner which deviated from the original topic discussion and became a warehouse of chit-chat posts.

Refer the below threads which we had moved to Community Chit-chat forum after extensive moderation.

ரமணி சந்திரன் நாவல் கலந்துரையாடல்
    Thaenilaa-amsam-neeyoe
    Book Lovers - Chit chat corner

To avoid chit-chat posts, we ask IL-ites to post their comments in English. We want to enforce certain rules for the betterment of the community.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  8. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

Dear admin!

Thanks for taking concern in replying my queries.

it was just my opinion to allow to post the comments and threads in tamil in books and authors in regional languages thread. i surely support moving the thread if we people start chatting in the thread but it also makes writers like me and the readers to suffer to discuss and comment about a tamil story in english.

anyways thanks and now i understand clearly for your act. :bowdown

9. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Hello All....

Glad that this regional language issue has been brought to notice. I have been a member since few months now and there are posts and threads where I have always had a longing to reply...but then I have noticed that most of the members are interacting in a certain language and that particular thread involves just those few members.

Having gone through IndusLadies, we have understood that a majority of our Ilites are from Tamil Nadu, hence the use of Tamil language.
    We also understand that it does feel great when living abroad you come across somebody who can speak the same language as you can. But this can done in a regional language sub-forum.

However, since this is a forum for "all" Indian ladies, would really appreciate if the threads are in a language common to all.

Thanks once again for looking into this...Its wonderful being a part of this family!!!