1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When to start cows milk for baby?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Brinda1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Namaste,

I was earlier BF'ing DS. I stopped last month, and now he is 10 mos old and on formula. My Q is when can I start him on cow's milk and is it the same quantity as the formula? The books say not before 1 year, but also, thats only in the US, and apparently, the recommendation for each country is different. I would especially like to hear from mothers who are actually giving their babies cows milk.

2. Kumarimouni

Kumarimouni Senior IL'ite

hi brinda
    my DD is 11months old.iam started cows milk from lastweek.here dr's says no before 1year.but iam planning to go india next month.so iam started.iam giving same quantity.

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

If your child is eating good enough then anytime closer to their first birthday is good to start cow's milk..But don't do the transition overnight...
    Start with one feeding of cow's milk. Also don't give whole milk right away in the beginning...Cow's milk is usually thick and your child can be constipated easily...At first mix whole milk and 1% / 2% milk. It's good to try 1/4 whole milk and 3/4 1% / 2% initially...Slowly reduce the 1%/ 2% quantity and increase the whole milk quantity. Slowly increase the feedings with whole milk.

With my son I started the transition starting around 11 months and he was completely on cow's milk by 13 months...I did the transition for about 6 weeks...I even mixed formula and cow's milk for few weeks..

Hope this helps!!!!

4. Divine84

Divine84 Junior IL'ite

I started using Cows milk for my DD from around 10 months in her kuzhu/kanji.... so by the time she was nearly one she was used to it.... then i started giving it to her as a drink but in lesser quantities.... She is 13 months old now and not a big fan of milk(already).... she is also on BF, so I am not pushing her.

Take Care.