Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs,
    I had posted this in another site in 2005! Thank god, I have the recipe with me still!!

Sarkarai Puratti+
    Nenthran bananas - 10
    Jaggery - 1 cup (as given below)
    Dry ginger powder - ½ tsp
    Sugar - 2 tsp
    Oil - to deep fry
    Wash,wipe dry & peel nenthran bananas.
    Cut them into cubes & deep fry in oil.
    Half way through frying, lower the flame & make sure the frying is complete & the pieces become crisp.
    The bubbles in the oil should subside completely.
    This step is very important since this determines the crispness of the end product.
    Cool them well.

For 3 cups of fried cubes, usually 1 cup of jaggary is used.
    Dissolve jaggery in little water, boil to dissolve & strain.
    Boil the strained liquid to make a syrup.
    The correct consistency is reached when a few drops of syrup dropped in a small cup of water forms a firm ball.
    Remove & add the dry ginger powder & the cooled cubes, mix, simultaneously sprinkling sugar all over.
    Keep gently turning over – the pieces will get coated with jaggery & get separated individually, because of the sugar added.
    Cool & store in airtight containers

2. deepaakrishnan

deepaakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Hiiiii maami,

for kozhukattai you have used processed rice flour - i too use the same - i have one question

initially i used a different brand and when i boiled water and added the flour it would mix beautifully and i only had to knead it. at present im using another brand and when i add it to water it becomes like crumbs and i need to add more hot water and knead it into a dough. also it was a lot easier to make the outer covering with the old brand as compared to the new one.

should i double the water in case of the new dough?

can i alternately mix the rice flour with water and salt and then put oil/ghee in the pan and then add this mixture to the pan and cook it? will this method lead to better dough or will it spoil it. i want to try it this week.

warm regards
    deepa

3. Chitvish

Deepa, differnt brandsabsorb different volumes of water. The safe bet is to boil 2 cups of water, take away & reserve 1 cup, add the flour en masse to the vessel & blend well using hand whisk. Add the reserved water gradually in tsps to get a soft dough.
    Double the volume may be high!!

4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Dear mami,
    unga vacation really super mami...looks like you invent on the fly...MW dhokla,idli, so many colorful gravies..:thumbsup

Mami, I failed in dhokla making twice consecutively in the past few weeks. wonder how you made in MW :spin. what vessels did you use in MW for cooking these??:confused2:

Milagai bajji - long time no see in our house. will make it this weekend.

I am working late tonight and felt so sleepy a little while ago. I visited our forum in between and suddenly became "surusuruppu". Going to make some tea and continue with work. your words and ILites posts are electric !!!

Sorry, no samayal FB yet!!! quick question..to make capsicum rice, you mentioned to roast capsicum and green chilli. what color should they turn to? how much time to roast approximately?

see you later

5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear C,

Just read the frozen gravy idea :). Its definitely a blessing for me. I am going to make 2 varities of it, so that cooking curry for Roti in the night is not a challenge :)

I made swiss apple Museli after a long time. Lunch is bisibele bath, Cucumber raitha. I made chiwada yesterday evening. M fell in love with it. Already 1/2 of it is over!! Very halthy snack I should say :)

6. Chitvish

Dear Hridhaya,
    Ruby's MW there is different from mine & has a programme for dhokla. We tried in it.
    Now I want to try in my MW in a corning bowl with lid. I will post, if I get it successful in my MW with 900 watts.
    But even this morning I made cabbage dhokla on stove top & it came out perfect. I wonder where you are going wrong.:hide:
    The capsicum skin will shrink & start turning black - remove, cool & peel.
    You have paid a great tribute to our forum, thanks!!

7. Chitvish

RADHA, i MADE THE 3 GRAVIES ON 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS. Now I am fully relxed & it is just mix& mtch. I want to trey rajma with red gravy next & as my Punjabi friend put it, pressurise soaked rajma with it. Let me see!!
    Last night I made sevai, like upma, adding frozen vegs, twice the volme of waterr on stove top, cooking covered. Finally added lime juice & coconut. Do try it.
    Chiwda is so nice & lighter than our mixture! :)

8. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Thanks A Million Chitra Maami:thankyou2:

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    I made korda yesterday but R wanted more spicy side dish. So I converted into vathakuzhambu, adding more tamarind and sambhar podi and boiling it well.
    I am posting the photos of the whole wheat flour and maida bread which I made yesterday. I had it with cheese spread for dinner yesterday night. R too had 2 pieces and admired the bread much. He des not like bread much, bread upma and bread channa sometimes is ok.
    It was idli and leftover vathamuzhambu for tiffin today for him in the evening. Tomorrow A is coming for Onam holidays. So will be making some special items. Having an idea to make adai for pradhaman.
    The photos of the Rajasthani Ram Kichidi and bread (whole and sliced) are posted for viewing pleasure.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      183 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      196.1 KB
      Views:
    3 people like this.
  10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithuma,

Hope you had a great time with family.

I made many many dishes this week. The hit was rava idli prepared from scratch. Amma asked if ti was MTR's mix, when i told it was done entirely by me.. she was all excited esp with that Eno's fruit salt idea.I dutifully picked that from nilgris last weekend.. but had time to do it only yesterday.

Apart from that i made drumstick porichakuzhambhu,R commented that it was different and good. I had made it in the past.. but he forgot...these MEN!:bonk
    Sept 3rd was amma- appa W'day.I made spl. moongdhal payasam. that ground mixture made a delicious addition to the usual payasam. Tasted so good. Its definitely going to be a repeat for navarathri when my in laws come over. I will bowl them over. See.. already plans for navarathri... your planning bug has bitten me so much :) Thanks so much for that.:thumbsup

I made dhal fry on sunday for chapathi and R is not a dhal lover, but he ate it quietly and said nice...he anyways licked the plate clean.. so:) Manu darl loved it so much. she was eating making choppu- kottara noise.

Oh.. I forgot about kozhakattais...It turned out simply superb. Morning for naivedhyam i made use wet flour.I had left over purnam..so for evening to taste and for taking to amma and FIL, I made using ready made arisi maavu. Both methods were hit. Amma was very pleased with me. My FIL praised me saying purnam and outer maavu both were well balanced. Thanks a ton. I was pleased myself so much that i asked for a gift LOL!! and R did oblige and got me a dress.

Thanks chithuma. Cooking has never been this fascinating.