How much you share with your parents/parents-in-laws?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by ILoveTulips, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,

I am starting this thread to discuss how much can we share about our fertility treatments with our parents/parents-in-laws, without affecting them with the pain of TTC journey and at the same time let them know that we are not just wasting our time.

My background : Married for 5.5 years; TTC - 4 years.

One day during my initial days of TTC I started to say to my MIL that we have to go ahead try our luck with artificial methods. She was scared and immediately dismissed the idea - not to blame her, it was the reaction from everyone when I first said. After all I didn't develop the courage myself until an year ago. So we decided that we should keep our treatment details to ourself. Other than my mom and my kid brother nobody knows [not even my dad]. So all these days I tell them like we are having tablets, the next appointment is not for next 2 months etc.

There are good reasons for why we decided so:

1. To shield them from the pain of failures.

2. We are big family and very orthodox. I was not sure how they are going to take it, and the news will spread like forest fire to my SILs' in-laws and believe me the circle is massive. Even someday they get to know about it I will have my head high and answer, 'Yes we did this to get our LO'. So Please don't think I am ashamed or anything, but I simply don't see the point why anybody else other than our family members should know this, at least till we get succeed. And definitely there are heartless people in that circle who will take immense pleasure in spitting some insensitive lines just to hurt us.

3. We didn't think that the journey would take this long, we believed we would have done very soon and we never had to tell about it at all.

4. We felt that telling them is just an additional pressure.

But as the years went quickly I know we can't continue this long and someday it has to come to light and that day was yesterday. When I spoke with my FIL yesterday I kinda got the feeling that they think that we are not taking this seriously and also they have some big plans like remodelling the house. We didn't plan to say anything, but in that conversation I felt the urge to tell my FIL the details, then I did. I told him about our failed IUIs, then IVF[testtube baby as they understand] is our final option. I also told him how much it costs, and also not everybody are lucky to succeed in first attempt. I stressed the money part so that they will drop any BIG plans.

To my surprise and great relief, he took the news very well. He replied, "Don't worry about that, be thankful to God that we are in the position to spend for it. Don't worry about money, tell him(my DH) that too, consider this as priority and go ahead with the treatments". These days I thought I am the smart, matured one and I am handling all well. With that conversation he made me realise that I am just a kid and I have a lot to learn. And that in their age and experience they have faced a lot and this is just another challenge to face.

Part of me felt much better that I shared this to him and let them know what we are actually going through; other part of me reminds me that its not going to be the same hereafter. I just added extra pressure on me that its not going to be just me and DH thinking about the results everytime, but my whole in-laws family too. And I can't advice them not to tell anyone, if they had to, they will. So there may be few surprises.

I was just wondering whether shouldn't I told them at all? What did you girls do? How far you told/will tell your parents/parents-in-laws about it? After telling them did you think it was good idea or regretted telling them? How did you handle the before/after-telling-phase? What did you get after telling - 'Extra mental pressure' or 'Additional Moral Support'?

ilt

2 people like this.

2. lotsofhope

lotsofhope Senior IL'ite

Dear ILT,
    A very interesting question. I have been wondering about this since long as well.
    We havent shared any details for the fact that medical help is needed itself will scare them badly. As far as they are concerned, things are getting delayed and God is yet to give his blessing and they are praying hard. Dad has no clue but with mom, unfortunately she was more tense the entire cycle than I was and kept asking for updates every now and getting her hopes very high even if one day passed after the cycle day. She was shattered every time the cycle ended. So, the less said the better is what we follow now. We had an open talk with parents that we are trying our best and doing everything that is in our hands and all we need is their prayers and blessings. TTC is a temporary phase most of them go through, some of us take a little longer, there is no necessity for anyone else(other than your spouse) to know about the details.
    Also, few parents are supportive in ttc struggle, most of them give in to despair as people keep asking them if any grand kids yet and unknowingly show their anxiety. As they are older and are not really aware of advances in medical field and the fact that most of the couples struggle with ttc these days(that the percentage is much higher than it was during their time), it might only be stressful for them to learn that things are not happening by itself naturally and their children need medical help. It is hard to explain all this to them, so the best thing would be to keep them shielded from all these, let ignorance be bliss for them! As per me, the only time they will hear about it is, is when there is a 'good news'.
    Wish you all the best to hold your little one in your hands very soon!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Same response.. I did not share my troubles with my parents or in-laws. With my parents, i'll get into a fight if they mention anything about grandkids :) With my inlaws, i couldnt do that, so we'll just simply say we'll let them know when it happens.
    I felt like I couldnt handle the additional pressure or sympathy from anybody, as I was already stressed out over TTC.

1 person likes this.
  4. santha123

santha123 Junior IL'ite

u need to share things with ur mom but coming to mils i think its better to shut ur mouth my mil she acts as though am a kid and i knw nothing and wat ever i tel she thinks its wrong so i try to avoid telling her but she s always behind me and puts 100 questions in front of me dnt knw wta to do :( :drowning

5. reshma2010

reshma2010 Bronze IL'ite

Same issue with my mil. she will never leave me until i say everything about our treatment. Though she is not with us, it is very difficult to hide anything from her. Everytime when she talks to me, she will only talk about her desire of having grand child. I am having lots of stress because of her emotional talks. I don't know whether she is knowingly or unknowingly doing this. God, pls save me....

6. lotsofhope

lotsofhope Senior IL'ite

Santha and Reshma,
    As regarding handling mil's questions, best would be to say that there are no problems with both and you're doing it au naturale(no medical help) and just waiting for God's gracious blessings!

7. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I did the mistake of sharing my IVF details with my MIL.Although I shared everything,she behaved as if nothing has happened.she used to ask me all silly details like did the injection create pain?I really did not know the reason for this question.she did not do help me out during my treatments.the only reason we share our personal stuff with inlaws is to get physical and emotional support from them.If we do not get it,whats the point in sharing with them?

basically people are scared to take new challenges and help us in the struggle.Now Iam pregnant and I felt I should not have shared the details.So the best option would be to remain tight lipped.

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Thank you girls for all the responses. Above are the same reasons I didnt tell them anything for these years. Now I think I should have played 'we-have-no-problems', 'just-waiting-for-appointment' part. Anyway what is done can't be changed. And how the after-telling phase is going to be? I will see from coming weekend.

All said and done, what about money? If you are the sole responsible for family's income, how will you ask them to put off the additional 'nice-to-have' expenses by not telling them the treatment cost? How did you handle that one?

ilt

9. saktips

saktips Gold IL'ite

Hi ILT,
    I feel it a good question to be discussed. Lately I have been wondering about this question much. Its good that you were able to tell your inlaws and felt better after that. Hope you continue to have their support. Exactly for the same reasons you listed,we too have decided not to tell them initially. Hope to see others views too.

I am married for five years. I started my treatments very late. I am in treatments for more than year now. I had four iui's which wasn't a positive. We are said to move to ivf.
    We have decided not to tell my MIL as she is very old and we don't need to trouble her in this age with our worries. I just tell only my mom, that I am having my iul today and the results. I haven't let her know about my tube blocks,whether I am on medicine or injection,side effects and mood swings.This is how I have managed till now,staying away and being in treatments here has helped in this. But as I will be going for ivf in few months, I like to let them know what it is actually and what to expect. Since my father is little bit unwell, I can't open up with my mom about this now. Last three months has been tough for me to handle all this alone.Sometimes I try to open my heart or share my feelings with her, its just not happening..But I have made my mind to tell her straight when we go there. Hope I don't change my mind.

I feel, it is good to share when,
    - Both parents/PIL are very helpful,supportive and able to understand our difficulties involved in treatment.
    - You feel they will keep it to themselves and not let others know.
    - Staying together under same roof, so we don't need to hide to others adding tension to ourselves. As well to save money for treatments.
    - You are in need of mental and physical support, as the treatments gets tougher.

1 person likes this.
  10. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi "IloveTulips",

With reference to the above, I would like to tell you..........what you said above is applicable to every single context in every walk of life. What we know and have learnt already is only a handful and what we are yet to learn is equal to the whole sea (there is a Tamil saying meaning that).

Second, as your FIL seems to be a gentleman, who is already having a relationship of understanding and good will on you, he accepted the idea, the moment you proposed it to him. Not only that, he set aside the priority of spending in buildings etc, giving first priority to your plans of IVF.

The same may not happen to all. There are so many 'out-laws' in the name of FILs & MILs, doing and planning every thing and every day, which would bring harm to the DIL, either directly and indirectly. Believe me, I have personally seen such FILs and MILs, whose single object of life would be to bring misery to their DIL. Unfortunately, FILs like yours is a minority...........and the ones I have been describing in this paragraph constitute the majority.

Hence, what applied to your situation, (disclosing so lucidly nd openly to FIL) may not be recommended for every one. Disclosing or otherwise has to be decided based on the individual nature of FILs.

Stay in touch. Bye.:)