Lump under arm and other issues after delivery

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by prettywomen123, Aug 19, 2011.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

It's been long since I've posted now.Been busy looking after my 2 yr old. I am in a state today after a C section delivery having lots of problems.If you have read my old thread on metformin and pcos you would have known I delivered via C section after taking metformin having pcos for last 7 yrs.It was god's grace and people's help from IL I now have a beautiful boy :)

Problem starts here-

1)I was breast feeding for the first 3 months only as I didn't have enough milk and moved to bottle feeds.After the feed,now after almost nearly 2 yrs I have a lump under both my arms looks like the fluid is retained under the arms but no signs of any milk on my breast.
    2)Still have pcos got my periods only after taking tablets after almost 1 yr after delivery.Still don't get periods regularly.Went to my GP here and they don't seem to worry when I say I dont get my periods.
    3)My body is not back in shape-I still have my tummy and whenever I go out people ask if I am still pregnant.I have no weight issues though am 55 kg now .I somehow don't put on weight although I eat anything and everything I get.But can't see my tummy going down.

My worry is as I don't get my periods and my tummy looks bloated does this mean I could be pregnant?Tried pregnancy test at home and both times got invalid results.There is no one to help here and when I went to GP she says she can't help with pregnancy test and has asked me to try at home.I dont want another pregnancy as I've had enough with C section.IL's please advise.Is it possible to be pregnant after delivery with pcos and no periods?I have no signs though. I have tummy pain sometimes like a pulling pain and have carpal tunnel syndrome as my hands become numb.After delivery and now 2 yrs has anyone has problems with their tummy after a C section?

Pls do give me your inputs.Very much worried about the way I look and not sure where to start.

Regards
    PW

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think you need to see a good gynecologist and not a GP....you have endocrine problems that need better expertise to deal with it. Your GP saying she cannot do a pregnancy test is rubbish. If you wanted the blood version of pregnancy test you can do it at home?????

To understand why you are having trouble with tummy, please look at www.workoutmaster.com #104. They give good information there.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I dont know answers to any of your questions pretty but one thing for sure; you should be referred to a gynic. I am not sure why you are still with a GP. Are you still in UK? When I initially got married (about 4 years ago), I was in London. I didnt get my period and I suspected that it could be a pregnancy. One of the NHS doc's gave me a small referral with which I got my urine test done in Boots. I think its Boots but you can check it where to get it.
    All your GP needs to do is give you a slip for blood/urine test. See if you can ask her this.

Was any biopsy done to check what that lump under your arm is? If I were you I woud insist on a biopsy to find out what that lump is, if you have not done so already.

4. prettywomen123

Hi tashidelek2002,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I need a Gyneac but here they don't refer me to them.It has to go via the GP. The surgery next to me where my GP is does everything related to post natal care and gyneac problems.She is reluctant to do a test. As my home kit doesn't show up any results and my frequent tummy makes me feel something cud be wrong. Thanks for the link :)

Regards
    PW

5. prettywomen123

Hi Rakhi,

Thanks. Because of the amount of patients they get, they don't even do referrals.The first reason why I went to her was my frequent facial hair growth that increased after delivery.They seem to be rude must be the area I live in. She only took a scan which came out as PCOS.But then its just my pure suspicion I could be pregnant due to the tummy size.She is not too bothered as she tells me that only if I want to conceive she will give me medicines to stop problems related to pcos I have.I am still in london.They used to refer to OB before but now this surgery has the GP'S doing everything.She is reluctant to refer unless there is any complication.

I don't know anything about the lump.When asked with GP, she tells me let's solve one by one.First check if you are pregnant and then we will see if you need medicines to solve problems related to pcos. I am fed up, this london has pathetic medical system.

Regards
    PW

6. Rakhii

Oh PW, I am so sorry to hear your predicament. NHS sure has fallen in its standards since the time I know it. I still remember, I had to wait 4 days to get an appointment when I was running 105 fever. No amount of pleading works.
    Anyway, the NHS clinic I went to was in Ilford, east London. There the doc just gave me a slip for blood and urine work. Thats literally all your doc needs to do as well. Even if she wants to determine if you are pregnant first before starting treatment for PCOS, you still have to give blood work na? Then is there a reason why there is this delay? I understand that she has little to no time but here is a suggestion.

Book an appointment with her and tell her that you are worried about this pregnancy, (if you are in deed pregnant) and that you would like to know once and for all if you are pregnant or not. Take your hubby with you for support and be kinda firm.
    We are all tax paying citizens and they earn because we go to them and because they provide service to us. Its your right to know what that lump is. I dont mean to scare you but I am really worried that she is taking a lump so easily. If she is taking something like a lump so easily, what are the chances she will take PCOS seriously? The lump might be absolutely nothing and can be just water. But still, tests need to be done to make sure its nothing na.

Also, not sure how NHS is these days but is there a way you can go to a different clinic and a different doctor or you are stuck with her because of your location?

7. prettywomen123

Hi Rakii,

I am really struck with her because of the location.They seem to take everything less serious.She has asked me to do one at home tomorrow morning and check. I tried it 2 times and it came back as invalid. When I asked her to do the urine test or when I asked her to refer me somewhere she thinks its not serious and she herself can treat me for PCOS. I am worried because there is so many problems I have- PCOS facial hair growth, no periods, lump under arm and a big never reducing tummy. She refered me to a scan 2 months ago and that came back as PCOS.The gyneac there asked me to take Yasmin pill by getting it referred by GP. But this lady wouldn't listen.Everything seems to be slow here. I used to go private because of all this. Got in to a new job and have to wait for 3 months to start my private medical care from new company.I'll be going to chennai in November so shd consult someone then?Do you know someone quite good in this field there?

Regards
    PW

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Any decent OB/GYN can do a needle biopsy on the lump (just withdraw fluid with a needle...not bad procedure) but I would be more concerned with something like lymphatic drainage etc due to some hormonal condition. I think you need to change clinics and get someone who is going to make some attempt at dealing with this. Also, we have a saying here: the squeaky wheel gets the grease meaning you better speak up to get what you need. Get rough with them if you have to...you are the one with the problem not them.

9. Rakhii

PW, I am just thinking loud here....what if you lie to her that the HPT shows as positive tomorrow? You know, get one of those digital ones and do a test. Even if it comes out as negative, tell her that it was positive. Then, she is bound to refer you to blood/urine work before she proceeds any further (at least thats what happens here and in India too). Doctors rely on urine test more that HPT; at least they are supposed to.

Now, after the urine test if it comes out as negative, you can put your fears to rest. That time she has no excuse to delay the treatment for PCOS and the lump. Now she is delaying it saying you might be pregnant but when it comes out as negative in urine test, she is bound to start treatment...this is what I am guessing. If she tries to blame you about lying, turn around and say that HPT is accurate only to an extent. There are numerous cases where an HPT has shown an incorrect result.
    If its positive, then think about what you want to do.

I know its not right to lie and i apologize for suggesting it to you but looks like that's your best option considering you are stuck with her and she is refusing to give you a referral or even prescribe a urine test. Talk with your partner and see if there is a better way to speed things up.

I am not sure about doctors in Chennai PW. I think there is a regional thread somewhere here in IL, i wil search it for you.

10. prettywomen123

Hi ladies,

I did a test on Saturday and came out as negative.So a lot relaxing now :).I've setup an appointment onThursday as that was the only latest appointment available to dicuss the lump issue and other pcos related problems.Not sure if the doc will resolve all the issues.Here all these are not taken as serious. But as you all have adviced,I've decided to be tough on them and get on top of things.

I'll see how it goes and will update all.

Regards
    PW