What Side Dish you made for idly or dosa or any other tiffin items today

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by chitrajaraika, Dec 7, 2010.

1. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

Mithy kindly add your prawn biryani in non veg recipe and ILT.please share your Lamb biryani recipe in non veg thread.

friends our mithy did a great job.she added index check my yummy dishes link last page.thanks mithy dear for your great help

2. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

hi friends

yesterday i had chapathi with coconut chutney,moongudhaal chow chow kootu,konda kadalai kulambu

today i had idly with vendakaai sambar and coconut chutney

so what menus you all had friends

3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mithy, Thanks for adding the recipes link.. I was surprised whether I even gave these many recipes... :D

Yesterday made yellow moongdhal sambar. Got the idea from Chitrama's recipe list. This is the first time I made sambar with this dhal. It came really nice and tasty. It also tasted good with bread. I added carrot for this sambar, and didnt add tamarind. I made black eyed peas curry today without tamarind paste. It tasted good.

Tonight planning to do "Paasipayaru Kanji". I am not sure whether you girls heard of it. This kanji is really an excellent substitute of plain kanji we make when someone is not feeling well. Its tasty and healthy too, and people who are ill love to eat it.

Here is the recipe:

Take rice and yellow moongdhal in 2:1 ratio in pressure cooker. Add the following things in the cooker with the rice and dhal:

- 2 tomatoes cut in 4 pieces
    - Some Jeera seeds
    - Salt required amount
    - Turmeric powder
    - 1 green chilly [this is really optional - the kanji tastes good even without spice]
    - Water as much as required for kanji.

Then pressure cook these ingredients. That's it. Its very easy to make - no chopping , no sauting.

ilt

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Tulips dear now a days I make sambhar without tamarind and with moong dal because it is good for health. Boil Moongdal in which you can put any vegetable which we put for sambhar. Fry dhania, chanadal, red chillies, methi and grind it with coocnut and tomato and add to the dal and boil it. Then bagar it with rai, methi powder, kadi patha and LG powder. Instead of vegetables can boil dal, Fry the masalas . Fry Onions and tomatoes and grind with the masala and coconut and then add to Moongdal.

3 people like this.
  5. ILoveTulips

Ma i never heard of coconut in sambar... Seems very interestng. I will try it for sure. thanks for this recipe... One question, when you said moongdhal did you mean the yellow broken one??

ilt

6. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

ILT, that is a nice recipe...Easy, healthy and tasty :thumbsup
    It must taste like Pongal...right?

Vijima, super recipe. I will try. :thumbsup

Soniya...Hi :)
    No problem...I just update when I get time.

7. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

How was your weekend cooking ILT??? :)

8. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Friends,

I am back to this thread after a long time.
    Yesterday i soaked rice to prepare.. But unfortunately I didn't prepare.
    Since it was raining nicely, I was unable to dry it out.

So, I added a little coconut, tamarind, red chillies, a handful of oats and grinded it.
    Today morning I prepared dosa with it.. It was simply superb..... :)

And for lunch, I prepared Onion rice.

What special in your house??

9. ILoveTulips

Dear Mithy, last weekend was not so good, so no specials... :(
    Dear Sabari, a very different idea for dosa. I am looking for some dosa recipes without the need to ferment the batter. Please share if you have any...

I did wheat dosa with coriander chutney yesterday. This wheat dosa is not made from wheat flour. But with grinding the whole wheat grain. I love this dosa much better than the one made in flour. Because the latter one would be very flimsy, but this one is crispy and lot tastier.

Here is the method:

2 cups of whole wheat grain.
    3 red chillies
    2 spoon of cumin seeds
    Salt as required.

Method:

You can grind the wheat as soon as it is washed. No need to soak. But I do it for 15-20 mins just worrying about the mixer blades. [We can't wait for another india trip to get new mixie]. But still its not a problem, you see my mom grinds that without soaking, and her mixer is just fine.

Add all the ingredients and grind together. Just grind it coarsely, not very fine.

Mix some water to bring the batter to the consistency you like. I make it like regular dosa batter consistency and use kuzhikarandi to make dosa. If you want you can add chopped onions and make it like roti. I did plain one yesterday and had coriander chutney in the side. It was marvellous.

If you try it, please let me know how did you like it... :)

ilt

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Seems to be easy.. Will try it today..

Without fermenting, I used to prepare moong dhal dosa.. Will tell you tomorrow.. :)