doubt on varalakshmi pooja

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sudharsiniram, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sudharsiniram

sudharsiniram Silver IL'ite

hi All ,

i totally forgot when is varalakshmi pooja , but Thank God yesterday evening when im borwsing IL i came to know , so i rushed to market last evening and i bought all the things for pooja , till late night i done all the cleaning,decorations etc....
    today morning i succesfully done the pooja perpared some payasam,sundal,aval etc.. i planned to do fast till eveing but doing teh pooja again evening and distrubiting things to old people .. till now as my plan things were going gud ......

im my office 1 lady said to me that Gals should not do fast on friday that to on varalakshmi pooja sice its related to Lakshmi , ur stomach should be full etc...

im so upset now ...

i want to know its ture or not????

i searched in net i dint find anythg related to fasting ??

ladies pls help me .................

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Well sudarshini ram,
    Have prasadam and take some light food in teh evening. Varalakshmi pooja doesn't require any fastings. As its a puja for well being and wealth and how can you pray God on empty stomoch??
    So just have something in the evening.

3. sudharsiniram

awaiting for the reply Thanks Priya_Mommy

eveing i will ahve somethg and do my pooja ....

1 doubt

thn y in Karuvachoth ppl do fasting ?? is same like varalakshmi pooja right ?? dnt mistake me pls ....
    its for wealth and husband life right ??/

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

well, karvachouth is different and I dont know if ppl in southern part do celebrate anything similar to karvachouth.
    Varalakshmi pooja is for wealth and well being of the family. On this auspicious day, we pray lakshmi devi for fulfillment of our wishes and in turn lakshmi mata will bless us.

5. sudharsiniram

Yeah ,, in southern side ppl wont celebrate karvachouth ...

im having north indian freinds , while discussing i thought both are same ....:bonk

6. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Dear sudharsiniram,
    do not get upset with this.it is said that sumangali must not sleep on an empty stomach.since you are in office there is no harm.this is just a lakshmi pooja which does not call for any fasting.in good old days when they use to practise "madi" [i do not know the eqivalent in english] they will skip brunch and have a good meal.now a days we do pooja even before sunrise and this will not tally to modern lifestyle.Hence chill off go in the evening home and have a feast for your self.
    nityakalyani

1 person likes this.
  7. ugir10

ugir10 Guest

In south, the vrat equivalent to karva chout is "Karadayan Nombu" which is a vrat which is meant for the welfare of the husband. This is also known as Savitri Vratam.

8. pamrang

pamrang Senior IL'ite

So normally, are we supposed to have regular meals on Varalakshmi pooja day, just like any other day? Am asking for working people who live outside India and leave early in the morning to go to work and may not be able to prepare more than 1 sweet for the vratham.

Also, if no fasting is involved, why is it called vratham?

9. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Yeah,you can have meals like normal day but in night have tiffen like idli or you can have the sweet which you prepared.

I think before they won't eat anything that's why it was called viratham.

10. pamrang

pamrang Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the explanation :)