1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ego a double edged sword

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Aug 6, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Beware of EGO, its a sword with two edges, the out edge cuts your POPULARITY, while the inner edge cuts your PURITY

As we grow old we should learn to use the letter "I" less. We should know that we are not doing anything. It is the Lord above who is inspiring us to do. The good we do is because of Him but the bad we do is because of us only.

Some people think only they know everything and never give a chance for others to say anything or do anything. I have exprienced this among relatives. Just because as a newly married if someone does not know anything they treat them the same after they are married for many years also. They dont realise that by experience they must have also learnt everything. It hurts the person who are not given importance and given a chance to do something.

If we are very soft also people take advantage. They think they can say anything to that person because they wont reply back. They dont think that they also have a heart and have feelings.

I think in some things the younger generation are far better . They dont complain about anyone and also compare.

Since yesterday I was a little dull and for the first time felt IL also a little dull and was disappointed. But today morning when I saw my post being nominated by Mathu I got inspiration and forgetting about everything posted this write up.

I like to share my day to day experience and when I get the fbs I feel so happy an dget inspired. I feel as if I am talking to the ILites everyday and feel happy.

5 people like this.

2. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

You are correct Viji ma.When people tease me, i just keep quiet without reply them. But they takes it as an advantage to do it more. I could not hurt anyone by my words. So i just ignore hearing them.

1 person likes this.
  3. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

But I feel that we should sometimes stand up and make other realise that we too have self respect and self esteem and do not give others a chance to treat us like doormats. It can be done in a subtle and convincing way than being rude.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Some people are unchangeable.
    They are always out there to hurt and get sadistic pleasure doing that !!!! I have had many bitter experiences and now try my best to forget what they do but in the corner of my mind I am still hurting !!
    What to do amma but the world is full of different people with different individuality !!

1 person likes this.
  5. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Viji mam,

great lesson from a experienced person...

As priya said, many of us took the advantage over our silence..sometimes if I get hurt, I would give my reply with my sweet smile..and it wont hurt them directly but still they would understand it and avoid the comments next time....

1 person likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Vijiakka
    That was a very good topic!
    As Sudha said, this world is full of different people akka!

I used to feel low and sad too. But many years ago I started this inner strength training.

My first question would be "did I do any harm knowingly or unknowingly to this person?" If yes, I would seek the first opportunity to apologize to them. It was hard. But I did it.

If this other person is someone who just passes sadistic comments I think, "Just because 'X' thinks I am not good, does it mean I am not good?" Immediately I will think of friends, my parents, husband, and children who have accepted me unconditionally; that brightens me and I move on...

I took this class on "effective communication for professional women" and learnt that sometimes it is better to face these people head-on rather than ignore them. So depending on the situation I either take the matter up immediately or pass them off as "having no CLASS"- you know, not worth wasting my time on them.

This has helped me many times.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Viji,
    The explanation about EGO is :thumbsup:

I too have an EGO when my mil tells me that the nurse who comes and helps her is stronger than I am..:biglaugh: even though I know it is true :)

It is hard to let go off that thought, but still trying not to ponder over that statement of my mil.

sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  8. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Ego is when you feel you know everything and others do not , it comes mainly because of people around you who are to be blamed. They are the ones who inflate your ego with unnecessary praise and appreciation to get things done or to please you just like that. If you fall for their sweet coated pill words, you are doomed.
    That means you are not aware of your capabilities and capacities.If you know your potentials and what is true and what not ,you will never allow others to inflate your ego.
    The inflated ego hurts you when it is deflated by some bringing the truth out.
    As it's rightly said, it's a double edged sword, use carefully, or it might harm you!

1 person likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

This is what I love about you Viji aunty...that ability to stay happy. You just need a little ray of sunshine and that can rise that happy inner child in you!!!

Viji aunty, I find people fascinating but more so the so called 'egoistic people' - what has worked for me so far is reminding myself that I do not want to be like them as I grow older - aren't we all? growing older I mean..... It helps me two ways - to deal with them and their jabs effectively and I also feel, helps me be a better person, hopefully!!

Srini can I butt in here? I feel underlying your feelings is the Good human being that you are - you want to be that best person for your MIL, as approved by her!! So from that sense, you are not egoistic at all!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

Very good topic Viji aunty....right on the definition of ego...