I miss the pride of a working women !!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by abc00, Jul 14, 2011.

1. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear abc
    Good Luck to you.. Keep trying and you will definitely succeed in finding the right job for you. I was home in h4 for a few years, kids were young and I also studied at the same time and once we got green card and kids went to pre school and I startedworking. So there is hope for all your dreams. Never lose the dreams. Keep aspiring.
    Aparna

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I can understand exactly how many of you have posted here feel. The feeling of independence, seeing the bank balance grow from one's own earnings, the thrill of buying oneself things one has earned oneself are irreplaceable in a way. But I seriously feel we need to estimate how much a full time home-maker's would earn if she were to do this professionally. Although we all look after our home, family and children with a lot of love and don't want to put a price to it, the fact remains that there is a feeling of being undervalued just because we do not earn money from it. (Whatever I write further is separating the emotional role of a mother and wife from that of the jobs she does in the house). We really need to see this in terms of "A penny saved is a penny earned". By doing all our work ourselves, we save money spent on a maid servant, a cook, a nanny, a house-keeper, a driver to take the children from school to tuition classes, music classes ...... Even if we employ a couple of these, we still need to supervise them - a supervisor. And after all that those domestic staff would not bring the kind of personalized service and love to their job as the woman of the house would.

Add to this, let us think of the qualitative difference if we look after our own home as opposed to leaving it in the hands of domestic staff.

In addition to all these jobs, working mothers also bring in the moolah at the end of each month. So add that to the value as a homemaker and caretaker of the children.

What we really need to do is to look at the role of a woman who stays at home in terms of the value of her services as well as from the point of dignity of labour.

So cheer up dearies. Pursue your dreams, look for the job you wish to follow, but for as long as it takes, don't for a moment forget what you are worth - whether working at home or outside. Three cheers to woman power.

3 people like this.
  3. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

Dear abc,
    I think we both are sailing in the same boat except that I am put up in India only and yet finding it dificullt to work.. I resigned from my job some 3 months back and you believe me or not, in these three months i have seen what world really is. How does one look onto me if I dont have a job. But family being my high priority , i had no option left out but to resign. Hopefully I may work in the future provided I get a job of my choice. But I also feel bad when i think of the fact that all my juniors would have become my seniors one day and would dictate me :(...Wishing you best of luck..very nice post dear..

4. ChrisColin

ChrisColin Junior IL'ite

Very Nice Post. Currently i am working and having 4 yrs old DD. I am planning to resign my job in near future due to family issues. I am very scared how will i do after that. Being a working mom i used to long for house wife live, but i don't know what are the challenges lying on that end...... :)

5. mcaneena

mcaneena New IL'ite

Very touching post....When I was reading, i felt someone has written my feelings so beautifully..... I am also sailing in the same boat. I was made to resign from my job before 2 months due to some office problem. Now Every morning is too hard for me. I always remind how i used to be in hurry... Every evening I used to come back from office and how kids welcomed me....everything! When I see my Activa on which I used to go to office, I feel like crying...

Thanx for a wonderful post... Wish u all the best...

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear abc00,

This post has been nominated to the FP by Dhaanika, Congratulations to you!!

An eloquent outburst abc, you have poured your heart out. What was more impressive is the number of ILites agreeing with every word of what you say! :) Goes to show that we women have come a looooong way. A comfortable home with a well earning hubby and healthy kids do matter, but not the be all and end all of the women of today!

Going back by few years, I think I too have felt like you over a period of time. Felt all my education going to waste, all my intelligence not being recognized and my independence somewhat curbed! Unfortunately, I didn't do much about it though. I knew some friends went to evening colleges and took up postal courses etc. I could not do any of it. After all these years, I do feel a satisfaction when my now grown up daughters tell me how much it meant to them to come home to mom and a warm dinner. Mind you, both are working women and homemakers!

Well, going by your passionate wish to be a working woman, I have no doubt you will be one very soon. I wish you the best of luck! When you are managing those goal talks in your formal wear and cashing the pay check with your manicured hands, do come back and tell me if you ever missed being a full time homemaker!:)

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

3 people like this.
  8. rashmi19

rashmi19 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ;
    What ever you said is true.
    Office is place that gives you your identity.
    you r known by your individual name not like some one's mom or someone's wife or some one's daugther...
    But it is not so easy to give 100%everyon
    whole day you r exusted (no doubts housewives also do).but you r tensed as a houswife only to 1 side but as working women u have to be presentable everywhere.
    So enjoy whatever u have & thankgod for the same.

9. shambavi2000

shambavi2000 Silver IL'ite

hi there!

a journey of a 1000 miles begins with one small step! Power to your wish and best wishes for the wish fulfilment.Go girl, chase your dreams, may you sprout wings and fly to great heights!

10. refresh

refresh New IL'ite

Both of us has the same story.only difference is in location and career field.Instead of US-->UAE,
    Career in finance-->Software Engineering.
    I was a very ambitious girl and i spent most of time in studying so that i can be in to a good and respected profession.I was a senior software engineer in a Hi tech MNC.Then after marriage i resigned my job.Shifted to UAE.
    Spent time taking care of my kids and hubby.Though i was happy ,i felt the exact same like u.My confidence level
    was low and health got affected bcoz of desp.Thus seven years has passed.Kids started their schooling.First std and kg2.
    Then i started searching for a job in uae.After 2 years of hunting ,i got in to a small software firm.
    Though am not heavily paid,my confidence level increased,health increased.
    Now an happily balancing my job and family.
    So what i say is..continue dreaming and hard work,ur efforts will be rewarded.
    Be optimistic and try.
    See am posting this from my office during lunch break.
    Everything is possible.
    cheers

1 person likes this.