1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Walk away the pounds - Challenge

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by geetadamle, May 16, 2011.

1. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Hey Shanvy.. I am good. :)
    --Level 1 of JM with no weights or lowest weights sounds good.
    --She should be wearing good sport shoes though and should not skip warm up and cool down.
    --Try to include some form of protein/carb say eggs+bananas after workout.
    --JM workouts do tend to make one stiff for first few days. But I would not recommend doing them twice in a day.Once is good enough and then some time should be spent on recovery when the body can build up muscles that are broken down during workout. That will make the workout most effective.
    --JM workouts are just 20 minutes, but they are intense. So you finish them fast and feel that since you did not workout for long enough, you should do them one more time. It used to happen to me. But the point is that they are so effective (if they are done properly) that those 20 minutes save hours of working out.
    --We continue to burn calories after the workout is over, when we are resting too.
    --Overdoing may lead to hurting yourself in long run.
    --Also atleast one day (preferably 2 days) in a week should be rest day.
    --You can suggest dd to do some other activity if she wants to later in the evening (instead of doing JM 2 times) Variety helps! Repeating the same workout makes our muscles get used to them. She can probably walk a mile or 2 with you in the evening.

Hope you are able to convince dd. :)

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

gd,

she started yesterday. only the first level. once..today she did it once. and yes she wears shoes. i have adviced not to do steps that are too painful..and to move gradually into it. i have been trying to convince her on once a week..not been able to..i thought maybe the newness will wear off and what with the home work and things she will limit.

she is 176 cm, 60kgs and she is 15+.

i will stock bananas..we are pure veg..so eggs are ruled out.

3. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Oh she is just 15+.. thats what I actually wanted to ask in my earlier post..
    She does not need to do JM at all... She can do some sports or outdoor activities to remain active..
    She can walk with you if she wants to.
    But JM at this young age! She really does not need. My honest opinion.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

GD, i told her. she looks healthy and fit to me..but you know teens..she feels she needs to tone her arms and legs..and she heard me talking about jm to my friend.

i am going to ask her to stop and start some functional fitness. she cycles to school and i told her that it is enough..so right now i am going to wait away the newness of jm.

thanks dear.

1 person likes this.
  5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Friends,

Found something interesting in showmethecurry website. The two ladies and a doctor have published a book called "Healthy Indian diet". Interesting health related discussion in the video Healthy Indian diet. Check it out

1 person likes this.
  6. Geeta16

Geeta16 Bronze IL'ite

[​IMG] Shanvy.

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hridaya, thanks for sharing this info.

8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

HI Fnds,

Hope you are doing good.....got chance to speak with Shanvy and Vahee in phone...Brother's engagement went out well....

Right now at inlaws place...kid is too reversed..just past 2 days she settled....initally 1 week...she drags me to the entrance to take back her to home(U.S).After it was like only before sleep and after sleep...she wants her dad or her home...now i am able to manage..but doesn't leave even a second...i want to be by her side always....:(((

Next week leaving to my mom's place...hope she can enjoy there with my parents and niece...give some relax time for me...

Yesterday we went to movie near by mall and called vahee to know her plan..lucky..same time she had some shopping work in same mall...so we got chance to meet for 5mts....as it was getting late for show..i have to move with inlaws&cousins...but we spoke some few mts:)) and took 1 snap...very happy...

Bye fnds..happy walking...

2 people like this.
  9. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends,
    Back after sometime :). How have you all been ?

Saw this article in our company internal health site and thought of sharing it with you

Sesame Seeds

Sesame seeds may be the oldest condiment known to man dating back to as early as 1600 BC. It is also known as “til” in Hindi. Sesame seeds are tiny, flat oval seeds with a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible crunch. They come in a host of different colours, depending upon the variety, including white, yellow, black and red. They are highly valued for their high content of sesame oil which is very resistant to rancidity
    Nutritional values of sesame seeds:
    Not only are sesame seeds a very good source of protein, manganese and copper, but they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc and dietary fibre. Sesame seeds contain the highest total phytosterol content in the nuts and seeds category.

<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=f2 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=center><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" bgColor=#006600 height=35 colSpan=2 align=middle>Nutrition value for 100g <TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Energy<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" width=100 align=middle>565 kcal<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Protein<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>16.96 g<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Fibre<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>14g<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Calcium<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>989mg<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Magnesium<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>356mg<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Zinc<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>7.16mg<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Iron<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>14.76 mg<TR style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>Phosphorous<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-RIGHT: #006600 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle>638 mg
    Benefits of sesame seeds:
    • Sesame seeds contain the highest total phytosterol content in the nuts and seeds category. Phytosterols are compounds found in plants that have a chemical structure very similar to cholesterol, and when present in the diet in sufficient amounts, are believed to reduce blood levels of cholesterol, enhance the immune response, decrease risk of certain cancers.
    • Sesame seeds are especially high in dietary fibre, therefore roughage in the intestines.
    • Sesame seeds contain sesamin and sesamolin, substances which prevent high blood pressure and protect the liver against damage.
    • Consumption of sesame seeds, especially black sesame seeds, gives relief to menopausal women as it helps in reducing menopausal symptoms like hot flushes, insomnia and irritability. Sesame oil is also sometimes recommended to alleviate the vaginal dryness problem associated with menopause.

Myth about sesame seeds:
    Myth: Consuming sesame seeds can cause miscarriage and can also advance menstrual cycles because of the "heat" from the seeds.
    Fact: There is no scientific evidence which proves that sesame seeds can have a negative effect on pregnancy or advance menstrual cycles.

Tips to include sesame seeds in your diet:
    1. Sesame seeds are used in several sweets including ladoos or sesame balls.
    2. Sesame seeds can also be made into coarse nutty chutney served as an accompaniment to dosas.
    3. The seeds can be sprinkled over bread before baking to give texture and taste.
    4. In other cuisines sesame is made into sweet halva in the Middle East, flavours Japanese rice and is ground with garlic and lemon juice in the Mediterranean dip tahini.

1 person likes this.
  10. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

A big Hi to all my walking buddies ..

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dbe5f1; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20 width=64 align=right>18-Jul<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dbe5f1; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #3f3f3f; BORDER-TOP: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=64>4 miles<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dbe5f1; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #3f3f3f; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20 align=right>19-Jul<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dbe5f1; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #3f3f3f; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #3f3f3f; BORDER-RIGHT: #3f3f3f 0.5pt solid" class=xl66>3 miles

1 person likes this.