1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IL Book Club 2011

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by vidyajithesh, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ramyar88

ramyar88 New IL'ite

Hi..

I would love to join. Please do include me.
    This is the book I had read recently - Drink with the Devil by Jack Higgins. The plot is what is so very intriguing. Till the period in the last page of the book the author hooks one and it is hard to put the book down without finishing it in one shot. So my advice would be to schedule a time when you are all alone and have plenty of UNINTERRUPTED time in store! :) i can promise you an adrenaline rush till the end.

Okay. Now about the book. Its genre I would call it a thriller. Compulsive plot and language, the story is about an agreement between the New York Mafia and Irish Loyalists to recover 50 million pounds worth of stolen gold bullion from the bottom of the Irish Sea. Sean Dillon, (character depicted as a man of planning and perfect execution excellently portrayed in words by Higgins) one of Higgins's (super)heroes is the character that I would call the success ingredient of the book.

Please find the attached pdf. Enjoy reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    Hi, do include me as well!

The book which I'm going to recommend to the Club is "The Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. I read it a few months back and love it to bits. Frankly speaking, I've never heard about Vikram Seth til' I came across this book. I found it while browsing through the books in the second hand book store. The cover was old and didn't look attractive and it has a whopping 1349 pages- something that most newbie readers would have avoided. What's more, the owner of the shop (where I purchased the book) sold the book for me at a ridiculously low price of $3, while wishing me luck with finishing the book. Apparently, this is the first book that he couldn't finish reading in his entire life:drowning

Now, you would think that all these would have prevented me from reading the novel. They didn't :rotfland so I read, and read and read til I finish every single page of them. Then I read them all over again! Truly, this is the most satisfying feeling I've ever had after reading a book and I can't seem to express it in mere words.

The novel was set in 1950's- a period leading to India first post-independence national election. The novel centers around Lata Mehra, a young, bright woman whose mother is hell bent on finding her a suitable boy. And what Mrs. Rupa Mehra meant by suitable boy is someone who's from their own caste and religion, well-learned and working in a respectable profession. In the quest of finding the suitable boy, Lata finds that her relationship with her mother and those around her to be on turmoil. And all of her sudden, she realizes that not only has she got to make vital decisions about the issues surrounding her life, but she also has to decide between her three suitors, namely Kabir Durrani (her first love who is not approved by her mother due to his inter-religion background), Amit Chatterji (the law graduate who decided that he'll be a better writer than a lawyer) and Haresh Khanna (the shoe businessman who is innocently sweet and truthful about his lifestyle).

Though the main theme is set around Lata, nevertheless, Seth has tastefully balanced the novel to portray the other characters and their lifestyles as well as the situation surrounding the political turmoil at the period. The racial riots, political debates, student protests, friends' betrayal, and the impending national elections together with the controversies surrounding it were detailed out and described amazingly well.

The characters are countless but it doesn't take you long to get acquainted and remember them...and remember them you will. Each and every single characters are crafted beautifully and Seth was very meticulous in having the individuality of the characters stands out.

If you guys have the time, do have a peek at this novel. Don't let the number of pages to baffle you. Does Ponniyin Selvan with its 5 book-novel turn you off? The Suitable Boy may not be a classic as Ponniyin Selvan, but it's a beautiful novel that should be cherished. Happy reading guys:thumbsup
    [/JUSTIFY]

3. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Sorry for having missed the May Book Club. Has a new book been decided for the June Book Club? If not, iswarya can you please start a new thread for that? I would love to start reading again :)

Sofea, nice description of the book. Will definitely pick a copy if I find it.

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ramya, Aparna and Sofea,

Welcome to the IL Book Club :) Please post your suggestions for the Book Club June 2011 here :thumbsup

5. dhivyasathi

dhivyasathi New IL'ite

hi friend.... Am sathya..
    I would love to join in this club..Please include me too.

thanks...
    regards...
    Dhivya..

6. singingbird

singingbird Bronze IL'ite

I am interested too....do not know the procedures... You will have to help me out.....

7. sowrees

sowrees New IL'ite

Hi I would like to join it

8. ramapriyah

ramapriyah New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I would like to join this club.

Rgds,
    Priya

9. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello friends....
    best regards..
    This is Bhargavi...please include me in this group...
    Thanks in advance...
    Bhargavi