1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to weight loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Geetha24, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Geetha24

Geetha24 Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Just thought of sharing my experience about weight loss. I have always been overweight. But after my 2nd daughter born I gained so much, to the extent that I don't like to see myself in the mirror. Need to mention that I have always wanted to reduce my weight and now and then will reduce 5,6 kgs and then bounce back to original weight or gain even more. I was even there in the support to weight loss theard in this forum in 2006/2007.
    All of a sudden one fine day I decided to lose weight and come to the weight I was having during our marriage.(we got married in 2002).
    It all started with Wii fit my husband got during thanksgiving. Initially my husband and my daughter were playing. Suddenly one day ( I still remember the day it is dec 21st, ofcourse Wii fit records all our activities), I wanted to try it out. I was so impressed with Wii fit at the first day itself. Usually during winter I do not go out for walking. But with wii that worry is not there.
    Here are the golden rules I got from brother which helped me lose so much of weight.
    Rule 1: NEVER EVER be hungry. Starvation will make your body save the fat to utilize during the starvation time. If you eat continously then body metabolism rate will be good and keeps burning the fat.
    Rule 2: At any point of time you feel hungry at least eat some fruits or just two biscuits would do.
    Rule 3: Try to eat the food with high fat during the morning or lunch time and keep the dinner lite.

Here are the things I learned
    Rule 4: Eat dinner as early as possible.
    Rule 5: Drink warm water before and after meal.
    Rule 6: Don't skip a meal when you are hungry and Don't eat when you are not hungry.
    Rule 7: Watch out calories in each and everything you eat. I maintained it to be 1000 - 1200 calories a day.
    Rule 8: Never follow a very strict diet which you cannot follow for a long time.

Rule 1 & Rule 6 are the golden rules.

I started with 78kgs.My Husband with 93 kgs. Here is the routine I followed.
    The mug I refer to is 450ml mug.

1. Morning 15 - 20 mins running or walking using wii.
    2. Drink a mug of warm water.
    3. After an hour 1 instant oatmeal or 1 chappathi.
    4. Drink mug of warm water.
    5. A very small cup of coffee at 11 am.I couldn't get rid of this. At 11 am at office I definetly feel like having something.
    6. Have lunch early at 11.45 - 12 noon.
    Before lunch around 300ml - 400ml warm water. Weekly four to five days 2 chappathis with curry/vegetable. I make really big chappathi. If it is rice a small amount.
    7. Have warm water 300ml - 400ml immediately after lunch.
    8. at 3pm a small cup of coffee.
    9. As soon I come home do wii for 15 - 20mins. Then Warm water 450 ml.
    10. Have dinner at 6.30 - 7.00 pm. Drink water again.
    11. Kids go to bed at 9 - 9.30pm. I sleep at 10-10.30pm.
    12. Sometimes when we are awake after 10.30 pm I will hungry, I drink a cup of milk or eat little fruits or couple of almonds.

In the above, we go out and eat weekly once or twice. Eat non-veg 2, 3 times a week.
    Before we started this we used to skip lot of our morning meals, but after this
    even on sunday we have proper breakfast.
    My Husband has pizza and bagels once a week at office. He has not given up that, but definitely has reduced the quantity.

Here is my miles stone
    Dec 21st = 78 kgs
    Jan 23rd - 73.5 kgs
    Feb 23rd - 71.5 kgs
    March 20th - 68 kgs
    Apr 27th - 66kgs

After march I stopped doing Wii.I go outside for walking whenever the weather is good. Ofcourse walking outside has better results. But I don't get chance to do it daily. Sometimes I don't go out even for couple of weeks.
    We had lot of sweets and snacks from India during the month of May. We did have them all ,but the quantity we had was very less.
    Now I still continue drinking the water. But the chappathi has been reduced , I make rice items more often. I eat little snacks in the evening. Occasionaly go out for walking. My weight is 65.5kgs. My Husband's 80kg.
    We still have long way to go. Again we are planning to start with routine I have mentioned above. I'm confident I'll be able to shed 8 more kgs.
    The weight I'm now is the lowest since 8.5 yrs. even during marriage I was 63 kgs.

On the other side, none of our formal dress suits us now. we spend a lot now to get dress that fits us.
    I have lost lot of hair. Dr. said that it is due to weight loss and it will grow back. After few months I see lot of new hairs growing. Initially I was very much worried and now I'm not.
    Initially, everyone were asking what happened? do you have any health issues? Why you look so weak?

I feel really confident about my look now. All my friends say that I have reduced a lot and looking good. The blouse I stictched during marriage time fits me now :)
    The one great mistake we used to do before when we wanted to lose was, we go on a very strict diet. Never used to eat sweets, not eat anything outside, do a whole day fasting on saturday,no pizza, no cakes nothing. That way we never sticked on to our diet more than a month. Then we come back to our normal routine and catch up with the eating.
    Now as we have not given up any of our normal diets, we are still sticking to the routine. We have just reduced the quantities.
    I'll update you people when I reach my final goal of 58 kgs. Am not sure if I will be able to achieve that. That was my weight during my college days. Just want to give it a try. :)
    -Geetha

7 people like this.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Geetha,

That's very great.

But,would you please tell me the role of warm water.why it's very important?I even see in other threads too.
    But myself,I don't think I can drink warm water thought the day.I would like to take cold water especially in this hot summer.

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Hi geetha...

Congrats on your weight loss... even i used to have warm water a lot during my weight loss...you have come a long way in your weight loss, that's great all the best to reach your target weight...

4. Vani09

Vani09 Gold IL'ite

:wow:wow That's a great job. Congrats on your weight loss. you inspire me:thumbsup:-)
    Can you please tell more about the diet part, what you had for your dinner .

5. Geetha24

Geetha24 Senior IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    Hot water increases the digestion. Cold water makes the oil and fat to become small solids particals and in stays longer in the intestine. Though not very warm, you can try luke warm water.

-Geetha

6. Geetha24

Geetha24 Senior IL'ite

Hi Vahee,
    Thank you. I'm really positive that I'll be able to reach my goal. Initially everyone said it is impossible to lose so much of weight. Still long way to go. I just want to come in to normal BMI index .

-Geetha

7. Geetha24

Geetha24 Senior IL'ite

Hi Vani,
    Dinner we have mostly chappathi, with any vegetable or any curry. Even if I cook rice I start with chappathi and then have very little rice.
    I have two chappthi. As I said I make really big ones. As it is summer now we go out for walk or park in the evening. We have our dinner by 6.30 - 7 pm and then go out.

-Geetha

8. LoukyaDevi

LoukyaDevi Silver IL'ite

Oh....is it that in 5months you have reduced 12 kgs? That is more than enough for me.

But one thing...Were all those rules you have mentioned made the overall difference for weightloss?

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Dear Geetha

Thanks for sharing, your experience is quite motivating and yes the most important fact you have stated of not going on crash diets. I myself have done it in the past and now have realised the importance of eating healthy

All the best and I am sure you can achieve your goal

10. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Geeta,
    Couldn't stop reading your achievement. Hats off to your determination. Very well explained. Thanks for sharing your journey.God bless you.