1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian government bans lentils export!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Jul 3, 2006.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear all

I got to know this only yesterday.Indian government has banned export of all lentils till Diwali this year.

This means we people outside India will start finding it difficult to get our dhals and paruppus. Infact,my grocer is already running short of dhals and the prices have also doubled.

Did anyone of you hear about this?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

It is True

Hi Sunitha,

It is true. The prices have jumped here in the Bay area also. I got a 10lb bag of T dal for 20 bucks. All dal prices have gone up. In some stores the prices are as high as 4 bucks per pound. I have heard that some stores are rationing the dal as 1 pkt per family. My grocer told me that for the usual stock of dals to come, it will take Jan or Feb of next year!!.

We will all scout Ms C's recipe for non paruppu samayal items!! :)

Vandhana

3. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Non-paruppu samayal!

Dear Sunitha and Vandhana,

It almost feels like Mrs Chitra heard u talking about rising prices of dhals and here we are gifted a dhal-less Kovilakathu Sambar!! I always used to enjoy drinking(!!) sambar more than vetha kuzhambu, but I just finished making CVVK and I think I am gonna change my opinion from this moment onwards!

So, as for the dhal prices goin up, I think I am gonna stock enough dhal to last for a while...the news sounds very disturbing to us all living here so far away from our country:(

-Shal

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

It is shocking!!

Hi friends,

Here, in NJ, the prices are not that bad(8 lbs for 10.99 bucks) and for this itself, felt that it has doubled up than the usual price. On seeing all of yr msgs, I have consoled myself. So far, here, there is enough stock at shops and on the safer side, have stocked around 2 to 3 bags in thoor dal and one bag in other dals. Practically, it is not at all possible to run without any dals!!

Bye.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

what about whole urad dhal

More than Toor dhal ,I am worried about Urad dhal which is a must for idli/dosa. I make Idli batter once a week since my son loves idli/dosa. Is there any way of making idli without urad dhal?

6. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

hi sunitha

how abt trying our cv's rava idli?

rgds
    hopefloats

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I meant normal idli!

Dear Hopefloats

I know there are many varieties of idlis/dosas.But my son prefers the usual idlis and dosas to anything else.That is the problem.

8. laksveera

laksveera New IL'ite

Where is the official message

Hi Ladies

I would like to know where is the official message posted about the ban of the Lentils exported from india. Is it a rumor or a way to sell the old dal stock....:mrgreen:

Besides... time to get real innovative and cook indo-american cusines... may be switch to malasiyan or chinese or thai cooking couple of days in a week...

I heard the news from one friend and thought to myself... Wow... another way to loose some weight... my food is predominantly S.I
    Now I told myself ....Eat salads and chappathi and vegetables.... I am already running out of stock of the T.dal I got 6 mths back.... Here we go.... I will update you if i can find alternate foods that taste better and waist healthy....

Cheers Ladies....

9. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi.

Actually, if you put "India ban on exporting lentils", you will see a big lists.

Last week, when I checked with my local Patel brothers, the price was 15 dollars (thoor dal); rest of the dal remains the same. So, it should not be any rumor, guess..

Also, ladies, have started using 50 moong & 50 thoor dal even for sambar;if you want, can reduce too the amt of thoor dal as it seems to be very high. The sambar tastes good too. Or, instead of putting dal in sambar, guess that everyone can have dhal rice with rasam if you are very particular so that we dont have to waste too much of dals and at the same time, we are getting enough of protein. Rarely, can make sambars too.

Rgds.

10. laksveera

laksveera New IL'ite