1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should in-laws sit in front seat or backseat of car?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Rihana, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

I really like to sit in the front seat with my husband it doesn't matter short or long trip.
    I always make sure to everyone (including husband, BIL ) few things like these are extremely important to me. I will become wild if these things are taken away from me.
    same Scenario happened to me: First time I informed my BIL infront of my husband I like to sit with my husband in the first row for emotional reason( It does make me feel good)as well as I can help my husband with directions.(other reasons)
    Husband got mad : but later he understood after detailed explanation.
    Next time BIl did the same thing went and sat in the front row. I called him and said If you don't mind could you please sit in the back seat (he kind of understood)
    Now he really thinks (my feelings) before sitting in front row.
    It worked for me. Now everyone thinks I am kind of mad but I dont mind I am getting my seat it is all I need.
    I am not confronting with my BIL even with my son I keep telling him that mommy will sit in front row. Now he doesnt mind and he doesn't need me to sit in back seat.
    I think key for me is I should keep insisting what I want Through repetition or what ever works.

2. sairaghav

sairaghav New IL'ite

Hi All,

Really amazed by looking at all the responses. After my kid was born my wife likes to sit with the kid at the back seat (since in US the child carseat is at the back). To all ladies who prefers/fights for the front seat.
    1. If your parents visit you, wouldn’t you want your dad to sit next to ur DH and get close to him. Don’t tell me NO. Every woman’s dream …is a close relationship between her dad and her DH.
    2. When you drive, don’t you want ur dad or mom next to you?
    3. Will you do the same thing when your brother visits you…..

Really ladies.. pls do a little more introspection before you think/act…..

Raghav.

2 people like this.
  3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

My dh usually drives, I usually sit in the front passenger seat. But whenever we have friends or guests with us, I let my dh get in first and then I offer the other guests the front seat. Or if I drive, my dh offers the guests a choice of where they want to sit, and he sits wherever is left. If guests refuse my offer to sit in the front, I say ok and take my usual seat. If they take my seat, I just go in the back. I don't feel it's a compromise, I just feel it's being polite. Afterall, it's still MY seat in MY car, I'm just letting them borrow it. Kind of like when a King let's a visiting duke borrow his spare countryside castle. The King is not bowing to the duke or bending over for the duke, he is just being hospitable. King is still King!

4. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Really dnt care ..its not a king's throne :rotfl i dnt mind sitting anywhere as long as i have a spot to sit !:)

sindmani and mridusudha like this.
  5. sindura16

sindura16 Bronze IL'ite

Wow...its amazing to see all the views...

I think its not about the seat, its about the In-laws or our Indian standard discrimination's ( girl or boy)...if we r out of all these girl boy things...i don't think we will not feel bad for just a damn seat..

I have motion sickness, so i have to sit in front but sometimes i tell my Fil or Mil to sit bec my DH is always busy with work...so only on long drives he can talk nicely, so its his chance to talk to them freely...from back i will be giving topics to them to talk...

Come on people we r thinking as we r on war...if u think its a big deal, it will become one and eat ur brain...if u take it lightly you will be at peace....

6. svetas124

svetas124 New IL'ite

I think it's just being polite to offer the front seat to guests nothing kind of compromise.

But some times guests refuse to take front seats and insists me to sit,then i'll take the seat but it misfired manytimes.
    I can give an examples of my sil and her husband's, me and my dh were newly married going out with sil and her dh for some function and bil insisted that i should sit in front with my dh and they'l sit in passenger seat and later on they twisted the whole thing told my mil that we made them to sit in back and that we dint respect them and my mil got anry with us and said so many things but after that i always sit in back when we went out with relatives.

7. simran081278

simran081278 New IL'ite

personally, I feel sitting on front seat willnever change your position or place in the family. It is a very mimor thing when the whole family is travelling it doessnt matter which place you should be securing-----try to secure place in the heart of the family---i know its ideal and very difficult but trying for that is not bad--
    If you take this situation positively---think his parents are very important to him and that short journey is not going to affect your importance in your family. its better to offer your seat.
    Think emotionally as well what would be your reaction if that happens with you in future or with your parents-------i am pretty 100% sure if lady's parents visit she will insist and offer the front seat naturally.
    Try not to bother yourself with minor issues
    thanks

8. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

i would always like to sit in the back seat and would give the front seat to FIL , MIL or even SIL (if she liked it) for that matter.
    i didnt know occupying a particular place in a car was linked to dignity.
    why should you ever think so ill of back seat unless you suffer traveling sickness.

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

I was hoping someone would say this.Why do we have to make a big deal when they are visiting for a short term?I personally think it is not a big deal.JMO.

10. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

If you feel comfortable only sitting at the front with your husband when he is driving his (and your) car or if you think it's only right if the wife sits at the front then please do so without giving in to anyone.

Before we got married, my hubby then my bf, his mum, my mum and I went to buy some things for our engagement. My hubby asked his mum to sit at the back. His mum told my mum that he is asking her to sit at the back because my mum is also in the car and sitting at the back so she could chat with her. His mum thought I would always offer her to take the front seat next time.

That is not true. My hubby had long ago told me that after marriage I would be the one always sitting at the front seat beside him. Then after marriage when hubby, MIL and I were about to travel for the first time, MIL was reluctantly standing outside the car thinking/ hoping I would offer her the front seat. I casually went and sat at the front and she sat at the back. She couldn't accept it as she has always sat infront and expects EVERYONE to respect her.

Believe it or not she went around telling everyone that I don't allow her to sit infront. Once when BIL (elder to hubby) was about to travel with us, with an unpleasant tone he told my hubby that he would sit at the back (all because MIL had bad mouth about me). His wife was looking at me and giving out a devilish smile. My hubby and I asked BIL to sit in front.

Then when an uncle was supposed to travel with us, I opened the front car door to clean the empty cans and food wrappers so that the uncle could sit comfortably. For sure hubby and I would ask any male to sit infront.

MIL thought I was going to sit at the front and immediately told the uncle to sit infront. I then heard her telling her 'clicks' that I don't allow anyone to sit infront. I don't give a damn to what they think.

I always sit infront with my hubby no matter who travels with us be it his mum or my mum. But for sure we will offer the front seat to the male if in case any male is travelling with us. There's no need to offer actually, any man with brains would know he has to sit in front. If there is more than one men, then the elders among them would sit at the front.