1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Queries Here on Crafts&Crochet work

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Chitra29, Apr 28, 2009.

1. harini

harini New IL'ite

thanks nithyakalyani.thank a lot for ur pics.as a first step what i hav to do.now i am having a pair of needles n wool.what is my next step.

2. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Good Harini - now you have a pair of needles[ what is the size] and a wollen ball. Now you can start to knit. Do you have a pattern with you to kick start a project.
    Are you familiar with the basics stitching.providing you some links from y-tube
    YouTube - ‪How to Knit - The Basics‬‏
    How To Knit The Knit Stitch (Knitting)
    There are many videos and you should be able to follow them

you can start to practise along with the instructions. Start with your basics and then we can proceed with patterns.
    Hope this will be useful
    All the best

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Nitya Bhen for helping harini with your motivating words and useful links to learn knitting. It will be of help to other newbie knitters too.

4. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

5. harini

harini New IL'ite

dear nithyakalyani as u said i hav started my knitting now n i hav learned knit stitch.but when i am doing that i hav noticed when doing each row the cast on is getting twice.for example i start with my 10 cast on when completed the first row it is 10 as same.when completing second row it is 12.whether it is right or what is the mistake i am doing.can u pls suggest.

6. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Harini- while knitting ensure that the yarn is in forward position.It seems that yarn must have looped once[ like we do when we want to make one stitch]. Hence you are getting stitches increased. Since you are a beginner every time you knit keep counting the number of stitches per row. So that you can keep track of the pattern. Hope I was able to help your query. happy knitting

7. harini

harini New IL'ite

Really your guidance is very helpful.Thanks a lot.ya now i am doing fine.i hav learnt knit stitch,purl stitch,stockinette stitch,garter stitch.what i hav to do next.Now i hav got various size needles.does i need any other thing.

8. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

CONGRATS Harini - you have picked up quickly. Now you can start on small projects like dishcloth, coasters [ for tea cups, tea pots and serving bowls. These designs are available on the net and you can save it and start a project. For beginners you can knit a hair band

The pattern of haird band
    Cast on 6 stitches
    knit all rows [ garter stitch] till you have reaches your desired length and bind off
    Ensure that the band fits little tight into your head as knitted fabric has a tendency of stretching
    Now sew both the ends[cast on and cast off/bind off stitches
    your lovely hair band is ready

Happy knitting

9. rashmichandra

rashmichandra New IL'ite

Re: i want to know how to make a crochet purse

can u plz tel how to make tassels to sarees made of crochet work and other types...

10. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Re: i want to know how to make a crochet purse

Sure Rashmichandra - you can do these things at home it self.It is my pleasure to share these things. Please do follow the instructions as they are self explainatory.
    knotted fringe.jpg

simple fringe.jpg

tassels.jpg

Hope these will be helpful

Happy knitting