1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting BIL first time after their marriage. Suggest gift for Co-Sister

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Kodavati, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi,

We are going to visit my BIL the first time after their marriage. All of us live in the US.At their time of marriage, my husband gave money for his marriage expenses and that is about it, while i was under the imagination that he had given the money to both of them.
    Should i take a gift for her? Do you think it is necessary? If i should take a gift what should i take for her or them?

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Of course, you must take a gift. I would suggest dress materials, things for the house, God photos. Or else, just a box of sweets.

3. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

It's wonderful that you are thinking about making a nice and warm gesture...i hate it when people say "gifts are only between strangers!"

It will be nice if you can gift something to both of them...maybe a nice decor item for their house or his & her bath sets...the choice is wide and diverse! Have a happy visit :)

Cheers,
    Carol

4. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Oh Yes
    U have to buy some gifts for her.
    Nice dress or a good jewelery will be nice.
    But remember one thing, every time u visit them, make sure u get something for them. It will help to build a nice relationship between you and your co sister.
    Regards
    Uma

5. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi kodavati anyways you are meeting them first time after their marriage so do take something. The gift maybe anything according to your budget. You can ask your DH about it. You can even take a set of watch or a pearl set or a handbag for your BIL's wife and some sweets or anything you feel like fitting in your budget. But take something, you had already given something for their wedding but when you go to their place you need to take something.

6. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your suggestions. I talked to my DH regarding the same and he dismissed saying that we do not need to take any and there is no such need. What should i do?

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Take some flowers and sweets.
    Enjoy the visit.

CL

8. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Hi. Like the others I also feel that you should gift something, this being the first time. If your DH has dismissed the idea, you could probably take a box of chocolates or some cake with you. Do not make a big deal out of it but just tell him before you leave "Hey, lets buy some chocolate on the way" or something.

Just to let you know, my BIL and cosis gave me a gift during the wedding, but nothing after that-when they visited us. Nothing for my son's first birthday as well.:) I on the other hand always buy/send her something. I dont mind her not gifting anything to me/DS and was like "Oh ok...such things happen." I give her stuff because thats me. Basically it depends on how cosis is...some people do not mind not receiving gifts, while some may remember forever that you did not get her anything.

Like I said, take something small so that its a win-win for you and DH.

9. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

If your DH dismissed idea of buying gifts, how about you make some homemade sweets...since this is first time you are meeting co-sister...home made sweets will be idle. If you don't know how to make any sweets, box of choclates will be best.