1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brother and his wife.....devils!!!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by amnice, Jun 20, 2011.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

one thing is....yes when she wants to use you....at that time stay away..dont be available..dont be ready to be used by her or hurt by her..

If she asks for help...do you want to help her because you are a good person?? if so...then help her...be nice to her..because thats what your parents taught you....and thats what is your nature...coming to her behaviour or nature....youd o not have control over her/her personality or behaviour isnt it???

Saying is going to be pretty easy..but doing it is gonna be difficult...but who said keeping healthy realtionships is easy???...its easy to ignore rather than be involved and not get hurt...stay away and ignore..doesnt matter if its your own brother/parents..the moment you/yoursister/your parents STOP talking to your brother aobut his wife...or about how bad you guys are feeling or stop evening paying attention to his whining crap...eventually he would understand its not just one way street when it comes to keeping relations....he has to work as well towards it.

You guys have accepted it in your mind that sheis what she is...but you guys are unable to digest it by heart..so just pay no attention...dont be available..give some reasons when she asks for help ifyou dont want to do it.....if you want to do it..do it because you are nice people..not because she would also return the good back.

Also start respecting yourself. As you said past is past..andif she cant move forward forgetting the past..you cant keep pushing her to do so..and loose your respect over this right??/ so just stand up for yourself respect and say NO when she comes forward to just useyou. say NO 10 times and 11th time she will get it and start being nice or she would also keep you guys at distance....and will learn its all about give n take. dont bend because its just your brother....he too has to take steps forward..because you guys arehis sisters right?? lead by example!!! you do that first.

2. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

I just dont like and always stop myself from responding to anyone else other than the OP. Sorry to say sometimes I have to write after reading some posts. As rms1, the PP, said lets not make Indusladies as "IndusDILs only"..............MODS......please ensure this.....thanks!
    There may be some women out there who might even fear to express freely if it is an issue concerning DIL of the house seeing how they are always seen with suspicion.

Logic or no logic, but thats how lot of Indian parents feel even today. Not only OP but anyone with Indian roots can understand this feeling of parents.
    Wish our life worked on logic all the time...........:biggrin2:

OP has already said many times they tried to be nice with SIL from the begin. So, why is this assumption? Is it because OP has issues with the DIL of the family and so lot of doubts and questions for her?

May be you are imagining here............Please RETHINK!!!
    There are so many sons who can just do what you thought they cannot and will not.......ie., leave parents in a bad state.

WOW!!! Really?? After all that OP has said all through nearly 10 pages.................

3. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Yeah, you are right. We sisters can never turn a blind eye or deaf ear if someone in our family needs us. Even my parents are like that. No matter what, they say you should help a person in need. It is not that we are expecting some praise or return back from them but all we wish is atleast try to understand us too without always finding fault and blaming us as and when you wish.

But what you said is also right. We have no control over their behaviour and personality.

I am thinking what you said. You seem to have said it right. We knew very early on but till this day it is hard to digest the fact from heart as to how indifferent she is with us
    We always wished kind of an ideal life........, or a family someting different from others and eventually ended up like some people we know having chaotic relationships with their brothers wife . May be that is upsetting us more. If I look back, in the past, with the kind of relationship we had with our brother, we NEVER imagined we would end up like how we are today.
    We ie., parents and sister and me are so hurt with the kind of indifference and selfishness shown by them but now I have started learning to ignore and live at peace because afterall I have my own life and family too.

4. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

YES! And as I have already said it in my earlier post, because she delivered almost a month before the due date and her own mother's visa was not yet done and there was no one to help them. Whats wrong in this?
    I felt hurt seeing her indifference when my daughter was in the hospital. She knew but chose not to call me and atleast enquire our well-being...........wouldnt you be hurt/upset if that happens to you???

Even I wanted to ask this??

YES, Priya, you are right. That is what I am doing now.

I was upset and angry with him because he left them in that state and did not even bother to inform us if he could not take them with him......so, I am not imagining stuff since I know and have witnessed what my parents underwent those 3 weeks they were with me. Their condition was so bad.
    I always believe in giving benefit of doubt to the other person whoever it is but hate to pretend all is well and cover up unjust behaviour.

Feel sorry for you for what you had to go through in life. I cannot advise you much but only wish you peace ahead.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I do not want to sound too philosophical...but we are all going to be here for loooooooooong time....so just never loose hope....keep your distance and respect!!! and watch!!! who knows down the line...when your SIls married life starts aging.......she might also learn a thing or two...over time everyone grows up...with experiences or by watching others....

dont spoil your mood over this!!!

6. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

amnice,

forget about your brother and SIL. Do what you can for your parents. There are really no limits to the callousness of indifferent people. Just don't delve on this topic too much and spoil your happiness. I will also give a philosophical bent to this like the previous poster, but I will say our life is too short and precious to waste our valuable time on people who cannot understand us or whom we cannot understand.

7. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't have an SIL. I have an uncle who was taken care by my father. My grandfather died when my uncle was 10 yrs old. My father took care of everything from his education to getting him a job and his wedding. Later differences arose and the relationship went bad. A few years ago, my father had an angioplasty and had to stay for a couple of weeks in a city where uncle lives. My sister lives in the same city(My uncle lived very close to the hospital and sister was quite far). Everyone expected that my uncle would ask him to stay with them but he didn't. My parents lived with my sister and her ILs. Quite interestingly, everyone felt bad about my parents not staying with uncle except my sister and her family. I didn't do my bit, so I don't think I have any right to pass judgement on anyone else.
    If I had an SIL and if I was young and immature, may be I would have felt the same way as the OP does. But then too, the solution would be the same i.e. take up the responsibility and stop complaining.

I have seen all kind of people, KMA. Even if you take out the equation of son and daughter, there is much hurt and passing the blame game going on between siblings in India. Everybody wants their parents to be cared for, but by the other sibling. I see so many cases, where parents are moved from one home to another, because the sons point fingers at one another but nobody wants to do their bit and DDs are most often not satisfied by how their SIL treats their parents.

Then there are other kind. One of my uncles had cancer. Two of the kids- a dd and DS lived overseas. One DD was in India in a different city. She used to take care of the father. When it was getting too much for her, the travelling etc. was not viable. She took her father to her home. She lived with her ILs unlike the OP. No dramas, no name calling, no hurt, no emotional blackmailing.

So, basically, you can only choose what you want to do and how you want to be. You cannot choose what you want others to do and how you want others to be.

8. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Hope that happens! Thanks!

I understand what you say.